Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingforester

question re: 2 graphs running simultaneoulsy

11 posts in this topic

OK, just a quick question here. I am upgrading my console locator (X51) with a nicer unit (LCM 332c) and moving the X51 to the front. My question is this: can I leave the X51 transducer mounted on the transom and mount the 332c transducer nearby on the transom without getting interference when running both simultaneously. I have my own gut feeling and have gotten conflicting advice from sporting goods stores (actually 2 different guys @ the same store confused.gif So if anyone has advice (based on experience, no speculation please), I would appreciate it. Thanks all!

Maybe, maybe not.

If the transducers are mounted close to each other they will interfer. If you put them on opposite sides of the boat you will probably be okay.

What kind of boat? Maybe you could use a shoot through hull style ducer. This way it would eliminate more holes in the transom. And also keep the two seperated.

I run a X15 on the dash and an X85 at the kicker in the

back. Both transducers are on the transom on either side of the main motor. Sometimes they play nice and then at other times.. they don't. A simple power reset at both units

will usually correct it. I have found them to be more

picky in water less than 10 feet. You could probably

cut down on one or the other's level of sensitivity

or similar controls to help with the problem.

Another way is to get different KHZ levels for each

transducer/unit when you pair them up.

It looks like both units you are talking about use

the 200KHZ skimmer transducer. You might experience

some difficulty with two skimmers. A through the hull

is a lot more money too!! The "hockey puck" trolling motor

transducer is fairly cheap. If the X51's transducer cable will interface with the 332C , you could use the

already installed transducer for the new unit, and get a "puck" for the X51??? That way you can seperate the

two transducers and keep them from cross-talking...

If you are mounting the X-51 at the bow, wouldn't you be happier if its transducer was also near the bow? If you have a bow mounted electric trolling motor you could strap the transducer to it. Ram makes a mount specifically for this and the transducer you have. That's what I did with my X-51.

Bob

Thanks for all the responses. I was probably going to try mounting the transducer on the troller, but just wanted to see if it was necessary. I did see the diagram for the skimmer mount on a troller in my 332 manual, seems easy enough and then I don't have to worry about any issues. (I'll be on a week long trip starting tomorrow, so I don't want 'issues') Thanks again!

One other thing. The X-51 does have a filter that you can use if it picks up interference from your other sonar unit.

Bob

My opinion - if you're turning down the sensitivity or turning up the noise filters to not show the interference, you're forcing the sonar to not show you a bunch of stuff you should be marking ---- so are you really getting any benefit from having the sonar on in the first place?

If you have one transducer on your bowmount and one on your transom you should not have any interference issues.

So far, I haven't noticed any reduction in detail by taking advantage of the fitering features. I think the feature is going to be designed to filter certain frequency bandwidths associated with other sonar unit signals. My guess is, it's similar to tuning your FM radio to a particular frequency.

Bob

I think the "filter" you're refering to is called "noise rejection" - by turning this on you are telling the unit to figure out what it thinks is real and what it thinks is noise, and to only display what it thinks is real. I leave my noise rejection off and decide for myself what I'm seeing - thermoclines, mayflies, small baitfish, suspended junk, noise, etc.