• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Here's the dilema. I have 4 days next weekend off. There are sites available at Hoodoo Point and McKinley Park campsites. I am bringing my dog and 14 year old son and we tent camp. We're used to camping in fairly primitive campgrounds (Nat'l Forest mainly). Am I going to be comfortable in either of these places? I know there is a state forest campground in Wakemup Bay too, but no guarantee when I arrive at 8 or 9 pm Thursday there will be any sites. Also, this is my first visit to Vermilion - which end is easier for me to find fishable structure on? I'd like to catch a couple eatin' walleyes and some bass for fun. Thanks.

Paul..both are nice campgrounds...very close together...McKinley park has nice view of lake...nice beach...Suzi and Jerry Chaibotti, the caretakers there are great people and will treat you like family...good luck and enjoy the big "V"

I agree with Phil on the McKinley Park Campground.Very nice people and close to some good walleye structure, but not primitive by any means.

I would guess that you would not have any problem getting a campsite at the other primative sites at this time of the year.

Cliff

You might try moccasin point campground too. Its not camper to camper like mckinley...more suitable for a tent.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think we're going to try Wakemup Bay SF park. Now if the weather cooperates we'll be all set. Is there bait anywhere near there?

I stopped by the state campground on wakemup bay in late July. I was surprised how many spaces were unused. The campground has over 30 spaces but only about 3 spaces were used so I anticipate it is an option if the others are full.

Also, it has a beach, dock and boat ramp.

We were up at Wake em up weekend the 1st part of the week. We got up there on Thursday around 5pm and there were plenty of spots open, I am guessing you will pretty much have your pick of sites.

Fishing was pretty good. Bait would either be at a resort called Polly's down the road or get it in Cook on your way in.

There is a campsite maintained by the Superior National Forest east of the Trout Lake portage.

There are several boat in primitive campsites scattered around the lake. Some are on Federal land, some on State and all are free. There are also some day use sites but no camping is allowed there. They will be posted as such.

I'd love to do a boat in site sometime, but I'm not sure I can swing it this year. Need more practice camping simply I guess. Plus we're getting there late. Thanks again for all the information. Hopefully fishing will still be good and we won't have to open the 'emergency' can of ravioli.