• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What size buck do you shoot???

certified jumbo

Good question. I suppose it's because we haven't got enough sense to trust the experience of others. Personally, I don't like the idea at all anyway but I'm not a trophy hunter. I hunt for the meat and so I would rather not be restricted to old deer with poor quality meat but that's just me. Besides, the deer population is so high right now, the last thing we need is to reduce the harvest.

Bob

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shae1986

• tjm

• Mark Christianson

• eyepatrol

Blackjack

What does Mn have to lose (nothing)in most parts of the state.We hunted from central to southern Mn for years it's bad in some areas.

Back in the early 80's we had 22 guys in are deer hunting party.If it was brown it's down was are goals.After several years of this style of hunting the bucks got smaller and smaller.Since we broke away from that kinda hunting most of the 22 guys in are party now shoot good bucks ranging from 120-180 class bucks every year.

We dont hunt as a big group anymore.Several guys from the group hunt the same public lands we use to hunt as a group.They only shoot 120 class bucks and up every other bucks walks away unless it's lame.Last season they shot5 bucks over 140 class a couple 125 bucks.The last year we were hunting as a group we shot 1 buck 140 class all the others were forks spikes.They only hunt the 4 day season

Area i hunt is a lil different.We try to only shoot nice sized bucks.Most of the neighbors are the same way.So we get to see 120 class bucks everyday.So this season i have 2 new hunters so they can shoot those 120 class bucks if they so choose to.The rest of us are going to bump up are standards let those 120 class bucks walk for another year.Being we have several thousand acres of private land it's a lil more easier to manage people shooting off the smaller bucks.

Trust me there are plenty of areas left to hunt.2 weeks ago i spotted a big buck about 3 miles away from are land.So i stopped at a few farm houses to find out who owns the land.3 outa the 4 places i asked if they owned that property all offered us to bow hunt.I then asked about the muzzy season.Same results from all 3.The gun season was off limits cause they either hunted or someone else was.

When i finaly found the farmer who owned the property where the big bucks was at he stated we could bow hunt but only after the bean crop was picked.I'm sure that buck will change his travel routes by then but atleast i know i'm welcome to go anytime this season now.

So for those who think it's a waste of time to go and ask a farmer to hunt this season thinking the answer will be a big fat NOOOO what do ya have to lose.Go ask.Ask the neighbor and ask the guy down the road.Once you get a few places lined up then let the smaller bucks go by.couple years you'll be shooting good sized bucks.

1 or 2 years of not shooting a deer wont hurt you.The years to come will be well worth the wait.I know some of you just want a deer period.Thats fine by me shoot away.On the otherhand i know a few who say hey i dont care if that bucks was just a forky.Couple weeks after the season i hear them say gosh all i saw were 8 does 2 fork horns and a small 6 pointer to far away to get a shot at.You guys have a better spot so you guys will shoot bigger bucks.Only reason it's better is cause we did are home work and we let those smaller bucks walk

By the dnr going to a 4 point restriction on 1 side will hurt the 1st year deer hunting but the next years to come people in most areas will see a big difference.Just maybe some of you that normaly fill your tag on the 1st buck that walks by will spend more time in the field and shoot that big boy who walks by when your already gone off your stand dragging the forky to the truck

Hey George i have a couple fork horns located for you on opener you should be able to put 1 of those on the wall next to the rest of umm

wink.gif

In my area I see a lot of young bucks with their first set of antlers having 4 points on one side. Over the last two years my trail camera has been full of them. These deer would be able to be shot with an antler restriction in place. Judging by this year's photos, some of these fellows survived, and are getting to be very nice looking deer. I am very glad for that.

IMO, a bigger effect could be had by not having rifle season during the heart of the rut. (I am not for this btw)

Up until this year, I hunted in zone 4 where you had to pick a 2 day or a four day season. This got a lot of deer shot regardless of size. More recently, you could buy the all season license which got people to be more selective in some cases.

The whole "what size buck is ok to shoot" thing makes me a tad uncomfortable.

Am I a bad guy if I shoot a 1.5 y/o buck?

I like venison - a lot! If I am not seeing a lot of deer a few days into season, and a forkie gives me a good shot, I may take it. On the other hand, if we are able to get a couple of does or fawns, that buck gets a pass from me. We have meat on the pole, and we still have more time to rifle hunt, along with ML season.

I have no gripe if someone wants to anchor the first deer they see. If it is a legal deer, and they have a good killing shot presented - good for them!

I will shoot any buck with a curve in his rack for my tag, because I eat alot of venison. For filling another tag from our party, it needs to be a big 8 or better (which I shot last year grin.gif)

I would be in favor of antler restrictions, but I doubt that many other people would be. I think that the education that the DNR and individual hunting groups are doing is working. The bucks seem to be bigger at the weigh station every year. Not nearly the amount of forkhorns, spikes, etc. A bunch of 2 and 3 year old 8 pointers is more common to see at the weigh stations now. This is a good thing. Oh and Brian; If I do come down to your land...you best have your caping knife ready...I plan on putting one on the wall...and it won't be a spike! grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

gissert(

IMO, a bigger effect could be had by not having rifle season during the heart of the rut. (I am not for this btw)

)

Well now what would hunting be like in the southern half of the state if it was not on the dates we have them

If season was prior to the rut the fields are full of crops we all have seen what happends on those years

If the season was to be after the rut most deer have moved into there wintering grounds.So either no one can hunt these areas or a very few can.I think thats why the DNR has closed off some areas up north to muzzle loading

Only way i think this would work would be to open the season in Early oct and have a 3 week season.More people would hunt.More deer would get shot plus i think most people wopuld pass on small bucks

The area I hunt is another one of those areas that receives a lot of hunting pressure, plus we hunt the second weekend of shotgun (sw MN) and take the 4 days to make it a family affair. My grandparents live down there, so we use the 4 days to get together with relatives and such. Back to the deer....we're lucky to see 3rd year deer. So many people shoot 2nd year deer that they don't get a chance to get big. 10 years ago it was pretty good....there was a good count of 10 - 12 pointers around. Now, it's your basket rack 5's, 6's and 7's. We usually end up getting mostly does with a couple bucks. I've only shot 3 bucks in my 22 years of hunting deer. Two of them are 2nd year deer....a 6 and 7 basket rack. The third is a 3rd year 9 point which is only a bit bigger than the basket rack 6 and 7. It's been 5 years since I've seen a decent buck down there. And man was it decent....more than decent. Was a 14 with what I would estimate was at least a 24" spread and 10" - 12" tall antlers. My cousin had a 10-yard shot at it. 5 shots, no deer. When asked about it, he said all he could see was antlers! Can you say "buck fever!"

We're not big, serious deer hunters, but we do have fun regardless.

My vote “YES” move the season past the rut!

Hunting in the southern half of the state would be phenomenal! In a couple of years it may even be like IA. Iowa has the same food, genetics and no point restrictions what's different? The answer: Season dates. Bucks would have a better chance of making it through there first year and be bigger the next, then hunters will manage themselves. Can you imagine passing on bucks until they are in the 3 year class because you know there are bigger boys lurking, then when the season is over any you didn't shoot something with horns feel real okay cause all those teenagers you passed up on will be bigger next year? Everyone wants to shoot a big buck, even the guys who hunt for meat.

This of course will never happen, hunters will storm the DNR offices if they moved the hunt out of the rut.

I was in the group that said, “If I don’t shoot that buck he’ll jump the fence and I’ll hear a bang from the neighbors”. We’ve wised up and we tried to let the little bucks go, two years later we took the first buck that made the wall in 30 years of hunting that property. Chances are that he was one of those 1.5 8’s we passed the year before. Wow, what a creature he would have been if he’d have been 3.5!

Please don’t think I’m demonizing anyone for shooting smaller bucks, I just hope everyone has the opportunity to take a really nice buck in their lifetime and believe this may one of the best ways to make it happen. I may not get one this year but every time I pass a smaller buck, my chances for a bigger one next year goes up, and the chances of the neighbors shooting a big boy next year go up too!

Good luck to the stick and stringers tomorrow.

I prefer to shoot a 3.5 year old or better and I'd like to see the season moved back.

I have a problem if in a party of 8 one guy shoots 4 1.5 year old bucks. It's frustrating to pass on bucks and watch one guy in the neighbors party shoot 3 or 4 little ones.

QuackAttack

My guess is you never drove around the southern half of Mn before.We do not have near the cover Iowa has so your thoughts are a few years off.99% of what setaside we had is gone.Whats left for cover once the deer have moved to wintering grounds is off limits to 80% of the hunters.I would say the western side of Mn is a lot like the area were all from.

The cover and the rut is only the smaller problem.If all deer hunters would police themselves with what they shoot then you might see some larger racks and older deer.

I can go out and harvest younger does to eat and let the basket rack bucks walk by all day.Granted I am a little older and have shot many deer and only care about monster bucks.So many hunters think that any buck makes them a great hunter and a doe will not fill the ticket.

Its the same as catching fish,you cannot have bigger fish if you never throw back the smaller ones to grow up.

I would be shocked if the Mn. DNR ever had the season later than the rut.One also has to remember the pressure that the deer see in Minnesota.

I dont believe we need more laws or rules,just have the hunters educate themselves and the problem is taken care of.

If one took a honest pole of every deer hunter in this state you will see that getting any buck is what they are after. frown.gifSome will wait,but not many.

The season dates are set up to coincide with the rut. This allows the maximum potential for harvest of deer. That's what it's all about in MN. Numbers. It is not about trophy deer production, and as Harvey Lee says, it is up to every hunter to police themselves. Saying and doing are two verey different things when it comes to passing on deer. You will find however that knowing you could have killed that deer is just as rewarding as actually doing so. It gets very easy to pass on deer once you are accustomed to doing so. To each his own when it comes to harvest. I'm still looking for that 150 class and will not take a smaller buck. I'd rather take a doe if any for eating, but its been a couple years since I even did that. Good luck to you all this season! Brent

I just don't get how people can hunt with the "if it's brown it's down" mentality. It's fact that bigger bucks and MORE bucks could be grown if people would shoot more does. I would love to see the antlerless tag changed to doe tag...no more male deer with antler measuring less than 3". A buck should be a buck and an antlerless deer is an antlerless deer. It's easy enough that even the most redneck hunter's could tell if there's 'nubs' or not...and even if you aren't 100% sure then don't shoot it. Shoot all the doe fawns you want but if it's a fawn and you just aren't sure let it walk and shoot a different deer. Is it that hard for people to not kill a deer. There's so many deer in this state that you don't need to shoot a little buck for the meat. You can get just as much or even more off of a doe...which need to be harvested. Or instead of relying on an immature buck for your meat save money and buy it from the store. Figure it out per pound and I bet it's way cheaper than buying all the equipment and tags and gas plus the time commitment. Maybe people get offened by this stuff but that's fine. I'm offened too since we can't get enough people to stick to a plan to manage our deer herd better. I didn't shoot a buck last year with my bow. I killed a bunch of does but spared the lives of dozens of bucks that hadn't fully matured. They will all be great deer this season and the next...ripe for the picking.

Strong feelings...got a bit off the subject. This year I won't kill a buck unless it's over 150 inches with the bow. Once december hits I'll drop about 10 inches a week. I hunt where there are big bucks and nobody has had a chance to kill off the genetics. I am fortunate. It would be nice to have the same opportunities at true trophy deer elsewhere in the state and more widespread but I don't see that happening.

This is one of the reason why I quit hunting Minnesota as my chance of shooting a good buck was so limited. A few years ago one of the questions at a local DNR meeting was asked about what the hunters wanted,bigger bucks or any deer and the any deer hands down won.So,being from Minnesota you will need to be one lucky dude to find a real trophy.

Alot of hunters complain that the bucks are not big enough yet they are the same ones that punch a fork horn.

The only other option there is and that is if you can afford it is to hunt another state that is more on the QDM program.One day QDM will take over just as slot limits did with the fish.If the sportsman cannot control what he harvests then the only other option is for the state to do it.

My son has a friend that started bow hunting 2 years ago with us in ND.Last year he shot a smaller buck and that was fine as that was his first archery kill.This year he will wait for a bigger buck or he will no longer be hunting with us.

Quite frankly, I'm getting kind of tired of this same old post. It seems like every couple of months this type of thread starts over & everybody repeats their views again. I know this is new for some people & that's fine, so I'll play along again.

I think it's a personal choice, but if you shoot small ones, don't complain there's no big ones, because they come from the small ones. I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't shoot a doe, when the herd needs to be controlled & in my eyes a deer is a deer. Most does are considerably smarter that those yearling, 4, 6, & basket 8 pointers. I do think what's a trophy to you has to be determined by your personal experience, along with the realistic potentials for your area. Like a post on one of the other threads indicated, there aren't really big bucks on every property. If you're going to hunt on only a property or two & you want to shoot a nice buck, a nice buck is probably that 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year-old buck. There's maybe one or two in your area older & there maybe isn't.

For me a buck at least as wide as the end of his ears & with some height is what I'm looking for. If I see a smaller one with a really unique trashy looking rack getting close to gun season I may shoot it. I love trash racks. It's cool looking at racks, but I get just as much enjoyment out of shoot a doe as I do a small buck.

Quote:

A few years ago one of the questions at a local DNR meeting was asked about what the hunters wanted,bigger bucks or any deer and the any deer hands down won.

Harvey you hit it on the head, the MAJORITY of the deer hunters in MN just want to shoot a deer. To them thats a trophy. The people on this website are almost eliteist (and are in the minority), they think the only good deer is a big deer, yet the majority of the deer hunters in MN realize that any deer is a trophy, especially if its taken with a bow. If I do shoot a six point, I probably wouldn't even post a picture on FM because some pipsqueak would come along and complain about shooting 'small' deer.

Quote:

So,being from Minnesota you will need to be one lucky dude to find a real trophy.

Lucky or hardworking. I'll bet TJM comes up with a big deer. Watch the pictures in Outdoor News or at your local bait shop, the big deer ARE out there, people shoot lots of them, you just have to go find them.

Amen Blackjack.

I want to put some venison in the freezer. Some other guys I hunt with have shot some quite nice bucks in the past couple of years so they are out there, all a guys gotta do is go get them.

I'll take a spiker and get picked on. That's just fine with me cuz I'll be eating tenderloins for supper.

I should add that I only have so many opportunities to shoot a deer. Prolly a heck of a lot less than many of the deer hunters here. So, to me, shooting a deer is trophy enough.

This has become an interesting topic. And maybe it boils down to the point where it is: "to each their own".

Certainly there would be more and bigger bucks if the whole state became one large "big buck management" ranch or something to that affect. But it will likely never come to that. Some people may take whatever opportunity arises while others are willing to wait it out.

Shooting a big buck anywhere in MN is probably not an easy task. It takes time, planning, scouting and maybe a whole lot more than that even. Many people don't have the time to do what it takes to get a big buck. And others just might not be in an area where big bucks are available.

It can be difficult to wait for the opportunity to shoot a big buck. If I were to only hunt for big bucks, I would have gone 22 years without shooting a single deer. To me, that's a waste of time and money. In fact, I would have quit deer hunting if that was the case. So, for me, I hunt as an opportunist. If the opportunity to shoot a deer arises, I'll take it unless it's a fawn. Personally speaking, I've had 5 opportunities in 22 years to shoot a buck, no matter what the size. I consider myself fortunate to have gotten 3 of them, none of which were bigger than a 3rd year 9 pointer. So the opportunity to even just shoot a buck isn't really there, but when it does come along, to me, it's a "trophy" opportunity (even though it isn't a trophy deer).

Now, some people may want to hang me by a yardarm for shooting small bucks or for shooting does. But we all must realize that not everyone has what it takes to get the big one. So, to each their own I say. No matter what the deer, we should all enjoy the hunt, savor the experience, and be happy for anyone who has taken a deer legally and ethically....it's not always a simple task to shoot a deer! First you gotta aim straight! wink.gif

Just my $.02.

Yes. Excellent post basscatcher. I agree wholeheartedly. To each their own. I admire the guys that have the time and resources to take a big buck through scouting and preparation. I personally don't at this point between work and family life. I try my hardest to scout, pattern the deer, etc., in my area and am always on the lookout for a big boy. But it appears that he will have to come to me or rather, I will have to have a year where one gets big enough and sticks around my area.

At this point in my life, I realize that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush to me. So if I have the opportunity at a smaller buck (I have not gotten one yet BTW), I will take it. Perhaps my attitude will change as I grow older, my kids grow up and leave, and I have more time to devote to it. But for now, I am in the stand about twice a week during the season and waiting to shoot what to me will be at trophy whether its a yearling doe, a young buck, or a monster.

BTW, I would consider the season a success if I could be withing bow distance of big mama, a nice big mature doe (probably 3-4 years) that I have watched give me the slip the past few years. I might even have to get a doe like that mounted as she's been a big part of my first several very happy years of bow hunting.

Again, I agree with the to each their own. If you're a trophy hunter, good for you. If it's brown its down, that's cool too, especially with a bow as it is quite an accomplishment to not only get within bow distance but to then make the shot.

A bow hunter has the length of season and much less compitition as advantages for hunting trophies. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there approx 500,000 firearm hunters and 40,000 bow hunters on average? I have not hunted deer up north so I can't speak to what kind of issues people have with the deer season. If you are a bow hunter you can pass on deer all year till the right one walks by. As a firearm hunter in crop county you get a couple days and you either shoot what walks by or wait till next year. Most people just want to have some venison to eat and enjoy the hunt with their friends and family. Personally I wan't both, I want the opportunity to shoot a nice buck and would like some venison to eat each year. So I need to make that happen not worry about how someone else is going to fix that for me.

It is a tall order to manage the state deer population. I hunt in 431 out west. Before the all season license came into existance you had two choices. A two day hunt or a four day hunt later in the month. There are 50 doe tags by lottery in my zone and I have yet to draw one. I hunt the first season with my party and there is only so much management you can do in a zone where most people do not have the option of taking a doe. I am not saying that my zone needs more doe tags. There are not a lot of good hiding places for deer in my area so they get a lot of pressure from hunting. It can be frustrating when the weather is lousy or the crops are still in and your two day hunt is less than ideal. But when everything works out ok the deer get thinned pretty well.

If you have the time and the money to spend on all the seasons availible now you can have more hunting opportunities and as such could manage it more. Most people though pile into the woods on opening weekend and if a deer walks by you shoot it of not you try again next year.

I have yet to shoot a dandy buck but I think the opportunity is there if I put the time in. I don't think it is realistic to have statewide management rules. The DNR has been pushing the past few years for people to shoot more does in heavily populated areas though. And if you get a few neighboring landowners together and agree to do some buck management you can grow some big deer.

We hunt in Section 452. It is the southwest corner of the state, almost exactly 1/2 way between Pipestone and Luverne (Jasper/Hardwick/Edgerton area). The one thing I can't figure is this: each year it seems as though there is A LOT of corn standing for the first season hunt (the 2-day shotgun season). Enormous corn fields....we're talking 1/2mi x 1/2mi or sometimes larger. Lots of area for deer to hide and you'll never get them out of there with the biggest of groups. But, when we get to the season we hunt (the 4-day season), there are plenty of does around, however the bucks we see are still your typical basket racks. It's been like this for a few years now where there's lots of corn around the first season, then much less the second season, yet the bucks don't seem to get any older or bigger. confused.gif Not sure what's going on there. Maybe they all "migrate" (for lack of a better term) to the state park which is about 8 miles away. confused.gif

Interestingly, the best season we had was about 10 years ago. The lows were around 10 degrees and the highs were in the low 20's. Bucks EVERYWHERE! And that year we were able to take a couple nice 8 and 10 pointers with 16" - 18" spreads.

Man i love this topic becuase there are things that both sides can do to really fix the main objective, herd management.

With our deer numbers at such a high number, it is up to the hunters, or a winter of 96-97 to think down the herd. And i am telling everyone that we can do this our way or the state will tell us how to do it. I personally dont care becuase its not going to stop me from hunting, but i do believe that Earn-a-Buck is not too many years off.

I consider myself a trophy hunter, ive been bow hunting 7 years now and i took my first deer with my bow last year. It was a doe and I passed on around seven small bucks last year with my bow.

I use to care that everyone should not shoot small bucks, now, really i could care less. I just know that the land that i hunt i can do what i want and i am confident i will see a positive growth on some of the bucks i let go. And the land i hunt isn't my land, in fact, there are 4 other bow hunters that have permission to hunt the land and i dont know if they are doing the same as me. So i dont want to hear "yeah but you have your own land to do that on" bc i dont.

I go to school at University of Minnesota in Crookston and the natural resourse department is working closly with the MN DNR to come up with solutions to the people who just want to shoot deer and the ones that want big bucks. The reason i bring that up is people that just take big bucks aren't helping the hurd at all by not shooting does and fawn. The harvest of the does and fawns takes competition out in the winter time and for a buck recovering from the rut, the less competition the better. Last year i took down 6 deer, so i tried to do my part and i will again this year.

I hope everyone has a safe hunting season.

A. Shae

The problem I have with all this is that people look at everyone else as the "lucky ones". If our deer were properly managed, be it by the state or the voluntary public, you wouldnt go years with out seeing a trophy. The problem is no one want to give up a few years or a few shots to get this. If you have killed a small buck in the past, then in my eyes, you have no right to wish for a larger one! You have taken that possibility away from yourself and I hope you are happy with the small one you shot, Because I might have passed him up and now that oppertunity has been taken from me as well. A trophy 4 1/2+ yr old buck does not have to be once in a lifetime. In some places these animals are common,and not because those people are lucky to have that land. Theyve made it that way, through strict management practices. Killing young bucks has NO positive impact on anything, other than maybe a smile on a young hunters face. Beyond that I cant think of a single reason. If im wrong, correct me.

Im sorry for having a strong opinion on this. I think in some situations it is ok for young bucks to be killed. But most of the time, if you pull the trigger on Jr., then you got exactly what you deserved. Shoot a doe- let Jr. Grow. Every deer deserves the right to live past a year and a half old!

sutty,i live in ortonville and hunt near there my mom has a farm east of town and i own some lad up along the lake. and with the all season lis. the way it is this year i feel that the dnr is going to wipe out the deer herd. there is no way the pop. can handle that kind of pressure.the winter of"97" did the herd no good and it still has not recovered.with the all season lic. and beening able to shoot 3 does. it is just crazy.what this area needs is a point restriction.if we get a early winter and the deer herd up the muzzleloaders will have a hay day being able to shoot 2 does. aand then if we get a bad winter and lose some deer it wont be good. i will make a bet with anyone that next year there wont be any doe permits in 431.i shot a doe on sunday nite with my bow so now if i wanted to i could wait untill muzzleloader season and shoot 2 more that is just wrong.if the deer herd was managed right there would be a state record come from 431. and it would come from along the lake. deer can at least hide in the revines.and the dnr cutting all the trees in the refuge stupid

some just want venison and some want trophies. I will only shoot big bucks because we manage or own hunting land. Until the DNR change to earn a buck you can only hope that some people will take it upon themselves to do it. Like I said my preference is to shoot big bucks but if someone wants to shoot the first thing they see then go for it there all trophies. What about kids I think they should shoot the first thing they see it will only help them get more excited for the sport. there's my to cents.

I agree 100% that the kids should shoot whatever they choose.No sense of making them wait and lose interest.

I choose to shoot does to eat and only book bucks to shoot,but that is me.Our great deal is we manage the land we hunt on so we can do as we please.