Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahc667

Tigers Muskies- Metro Area

7 posts in this topic

What's the best lake to catch a Tiger in the Metro area. Any tips on what are the better baits to target them would be appreciated also. I'm looking for something that doesn't get pounded by too many other anglers (Clear Lake) or jet skiers (Weaver Lake). Can anybody help?

I think most tiger lakes are under fished but I would think harriet, calhoun, lake of the isles would be your best shot at underpressured fish and zero pleasure crafts. You can try using the big muskie baits but it seems, well to me atleast, most tigers are caught on smaller bass sized tackle. Spinnerbaits up to 3/4oz, buzzbaits, cranks, inline spinners (mepps #5 and up) and bucktails should move some fish. A heavy bass rod and baitcaster with braid of your choice should be heavy enough if you plan on throwing the smaller stuff.

Ive caught all my biggest tigers on bass tackle. Now that ive been trying my newer muskie stuff I havent gotten many tigers. Example, tonight I was fishing with my cousin I got one fish to hit my muskie 1 3/4 oz spinnerbait and didnt hook up. We went back later and fished the same area several times only to end up witness to a girl catching a tiger on a bass spinnerbait.

Lake Harriet is stocked with pure strain, not tigers.

I have had some success on Johanna in Arden Hills this summer. Yep, try your bass spinnerbaits for them. They seem to work best.

8-Ball-

May I ask for any other specifics that you have for finding Tiger Muskies on Johanna? I live near the lake and frequent it often.

Do you cast or troll for them? Are they in shallower water or do they seem to prefer deeper water? Is there a particular time of day or night that seems to work better? How about a certain bait or color of bait?

I've never caught a Muskie/Tiger Muskie before as I usually target walleyes if I am alone or panfish if I am with my parents. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

My success there really has not followed a particular pattern. Try over in the bay out from the bridge in front of the college, on the edge of the weedline. Cast parallel to the weedline using (my best luck) black/grape/blue spinnerbait w/ a hammered gold tandem blade. Overcast probably better than clear days-but that may not matter now as the lake has greened up some and is not as clear as it was in June/early July. The lake has never really been that busy when I have been over there-but that was during the week. I would try to get out there during the week as we all know metro lakes are a zoo on weekends. Good luck. 8-Ball.

Thank you!