Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
midex717

Muskies/Northerns on Minnetonka, and Waconia

4 posts in this topic

My son and I plan on hitting Minnetonka, and Waconia sometime next week looking for the elusive Musky, or big Northerns. Can anyone tell us some good specific areas to find them, types/colors of lures, depths, and especially times of day to fish for them. We don't have alot of time to spend looking all around, so some specific info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

I fished Waconia on Monday for muskies. First time out there and found the milfoil to be a pain. Found it very tough to fish. 4 hours of fishing and never had a hit or follow. I would hit tonka.

Throw topwaters during low light. Otherwise, I favor big spinnerbaits this time of year. Bucktails will still produce. Black/orange or red, brown/gold and white/silver are the colors I typically use. You can cast or troll the spinnerbaits. It is also nearing time to troll big cranks. As to spots any weed edge will work especially points. You can't go wrong just fishing areas with buoys around them. Also look for mid lake humps/reefs. Get a Lakemaster map to locate them. It has been slow for muskies. Tons of available forage so you need to fish fast for the reaction bite. Troll sppeds are anywhere from 3 to 5mph. Depth to key on is 10ft or less. Milfoil growth is way down this year for some reason so the deep weed edge is a lot shallower. You don't need to worry so much about what part of Tonka to fish. Muskies are pretty much all over.

Thanks to you, and ctuma, I really appreciate the information! I'll let you guys know how we do!!!