Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deep_Sinker

Early Goose near Duluth/Superior

5 posts in this topic

Well, the early goose season is just around the cornering and I am wondering if anyone ever hunts geese near Duluth/Superior or if anyone knows where some geese have been hanging out? I am very interested in finding someone to hunt with. I have about a dozen mag. shells and big foot decoys to contribute if someone wouldn't mind an extra hunter.

My advise would be is to look for sod farmers close to Duluth area as there aren't too many farm fields in that area. Sod farmers hate geese and would just as soon have them gone. Also look for some rivers that contain backwaters that have wild rice in them. Geese are eating the rice right off the stems right now as I had witnessed last weekend. Try to set up on a sand bar with your shells and big foots and try to get a few floaters in the water also. Should do the trick to get them close!

Good Luck! grin.gif

Deep sinker, my hunting shack is 30 miles north of Duluth up highway 4. There is some small rice covered lakes outthere in the woods. If there are any geese in them, that is where I will be for early season. I am going to do some scouting the week before, if the geese are around we should be room for you if you would like to join us.

Thanks for the advice Finlander. I'll have to try scout the cloquet river...has anyone seen any geese around this area or know of any rice patties?

Ely-Definetely let me know if you have room as I would like to join you for a hunt up here.

I saw about 500 near the grain silos under the blatnik bridge today. wink.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• delcecchi
      I have a couple of those covers.  Not sure what they are good for.  
    • delcecchi
      Likely story.....   Uffda
    • Tyler Holm
    • PRO-V
      11 days passed and no updates??
    • Bryan P
      For all you pan fish lovers, check out this beautiful pumpkin seed I found guarding the bed while I was out bass fishing. Couldn't help but get some video of this beaut! Enjoy!    
    • Bryan P
      For all you pan fish lovers, check out this beautiful pumpkin seed I found guarding the bed while I was out bass fishing. Couldn't help but get some video of this beaut! Enjoy!    
    • leech~~
      My live well has an adjustable shut off valve in side for filling and running fresh water. If I don't turn it down to a tickle when I have fish in it, it will over flow into the boat once full because the pump is pumping faster then the overflow can keep up.  Not sure if you have one of them in yours?  I've even had a few big eyes flipping around in there hit the valve open more.
    • BobT
      I believe minnows are a class of fish that remain small throughout their lives. They are part of the food chain and because of their small size we take advantage of their position in the ecosystem and use them for bait. There are exceptions of course but, as an example, for the most part adult golden shiners will typically grow to about 3" - 5" long. Adult fathead minnows will be 2" - 3" long typically. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      If the hoses or hose connections are not leaking check : Live well intake connection, make sure that it is screwed on tight into the transom and that it is sealing. Could be live well splash over also if you are in rough water, but probably not with your type of leak. It may still be leaking rivets as they may not leak unless you put a lot of water inside of the boat. It does sound like you have a bad connection in one of your live well connections! Cliff    
    • Mossy19
      Just wondering if any one will give me pointers on this lake??  Not specific spots.  Going to be at Pocahontas Resort July 1 - July 8th.  I am bass guy for most part but have kids (6 & 4) that love to fish for panfish and want them to keep entertained.  Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks!