Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Juan Grande

Lake Harriet

17 posts in this topic

I know Lake Harriet only allows electric motors, but can you use a boat with gas motor and just keep the motor trimmed up?

Yes, it has to be trimmed out of the water, this goes for any lake in Minneapolis.

can be in the water just not running. i only trim mine up when inside the foil. when trolling i set my electric going straight and use my wheel to steer.

Actually the motor does have to be out of the water according to the little rule book I looked at at the park district office. But I too run with mine down to keep the rear end of the boat from swinging around so much in the wind. I’ll keep mine out of the water when the yacht club down there quits using outboards for their sailing activities. mad.gif

does anyone even use those yachts there? i drive by that lake all the time and i never see a yacht that isnt tied up. Are all the yachts owned by the city and they just park them there as part of the scenery to make the property value go up? because i know a lot of apartments in the area have already turned to condos.

The yacht clubs need to use outboards for safety purposes. I dont think an electric motor would help them much when trying to get to some flipped sailors. Although it can be annoying at times, when they get to use theirs and your stuck with the electric.

That's okay, though. The electric-rule keeps the city lakes from becoming a zoo. Imagine Harriet or Calhoun with jet skis frown.gif

Went out to Harriet last night for a couple hours. Not much luck, just a few small bass.

First time I've fished large mats of milfoil. We'd be trolling along in 17-18 feet of water and the bam, we'd hit the wall of milfoil. That stuff was so thick that the sonar was reading it as the bottom.

What's the best way to fish it? In most spots, there was about 3-4 feet of open water on top of it. Is it best to work baits on top of it or try to drop down into it? I forgot my anchor or we probably would have just anchored on the edge.

Does anyone know what the deal is with parking down at Harriet? I know there's a boat trailer parking lot, but do you have to have a sticker to park there or can you pay upon arrival? I've thought about parking on the road, but it can be a pain finding a spot when you have a trailer behind your truck?

There is no pay box in the boat launch lot but there is one in the lot to the west. I have heard that people have paid at the pay box to the west but still got a ticket at the launch. I have the sticker that you can buy right there at the concession stand or through the mail from the Mpls park board. It was $30 for the whole year. Well worth it in my opinion.

We had problems with the parking too. We ended up parking in the west lot.

I like how the walking trail goes right through the staging area where you unstrap your boat.

Lots of narrow single lane roads with 90 angle turns too.

Well $30 would be well worth it earlier in the year, but has anyone had any luck parking vehicle and trailer on a side street on the Linden Hills side of the lake and just walking down from there?

The stickers are good for a year from the time of purchase. Do you really want to leave the majority of your gear in the boat unattended anywhere while you drive around on the city streets hoping for a place to park? I havent had any issues, but I am not leaving my gear in the wide open for 30 minutes.

I'd make sure I had a guy with the gear. I know driving around trying to find a spot to park is a lot of G.A, and $30 for the whole year isn't too bad. Thanks for the info.

regarding fishing in thick milfoil, I get a lot of strikes from nice bass just dropping a senko in that stuff, but good luck getting them out. I even use 20lb braided spiderwire, but they break free in those weeds. Back to your question, what works best? I'd like to know. I've tried those rubber weedless things from yamamoto for lilypads with no luck, but I don't know how to work them.

speaking of lake harriet and feeling a little chill in the air just got me wondering what is the usual date the ice is thick enough to fish ive been down there a few times but never early. fdr

fdr01, depends on the weather of course, but I'd guess another good 3 months for Harriet. It's deep enough that it isn't one of the first lakes in the metro to freeze - it'll have whitecaps when some of the smaller lakes are well on the way to being locked up. Watch this board - there's often a fair amount of chatter about the lake in the winter.