• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm referring to "CAT" bite, not the water temps! As I have stated all along, as the water temps continue to fall, the kitties aggression will only continue to increase.

The kittes that are being caught at this time, are in incredible condition! As Backwater Ed appropriately calls them, "SUMU'S"! It's not uncommon for one of these kitties to crowd the thrity pound range, while only measuring thirty six inches. It will be interesting to see what September has in store for us!

Fresh goldeye seems to be the most productive at this time, however, some guys are also catching on frogs as well.

Heading out later this afternoon and I WILL post a report for those who might be interested.

I made it out with a buddy in Fargo last week, launched at Convent. We managed a few nice kitties, including this 13 lber.

redriver133im9.jpg

Cut sucker on the clickers was the ticket. The circle hook rods didn't catch a fish.

Yesterday afternoon and evening results were very impressive.....it's now safe to say that the kitties are now on the "FALL PROWL"!

They are becoming much more aggressive, which can be attributed the cooling water temps. Although frog's and chubs are producing some fish, fresh goldeye is still the bait of choice.

Just spoke with "Canuck" via his cell phone, he's fishing in the vacinity of the dam and has landed three large kitties and dropped another one all in the past twenty minutes!

Is the biteback on............you be the judge! wink.gif

Hey Stu, Do you still have openings for Late Ice Greenbacks and what dates should a guy be looking for and how late are you open. Trying to plan a trip with some friends would like to catch some big eyes.

Quote:

Hey Stu, Do you still have openings for Late Ice Greenbacks and what dates should a guy be looking for and how late are you open. Trying to plan a trip with some friends would like to catch some big eyes.

I take it you are referring to March on Lake Winnipeg when you say, "late ice greenbacks". If so, March is definately the month. Beginning next week, I plan to spend a number of days out on the lake marking waypoints with the GPS. This will be extremely beneficial when it comes to locaing fish out there. Another advantage is I will be able to transfer waypoints from my GPS to that of my guests, this should prove to be invaluable.

The action on the Red is incredible from first ice thru December, with lots of trophy fish. After that, the fish become difficult to pattern. This seems to be the case on all walleye fisheries.

I am taking booking's for ice fishing accommodations and I would suggest that you do not wait to long before reserving something.

I was out guiding last saturday we putin in moorhead.

It was very good again we boated probably 50 cats with 6 over 30" with 36" being the bigest. I couldnot catch any goldeyes so cut sucker was the choice. We strictly use circle hooks and did very well with no gut hooking and fish being released in great shape. I will be there next tuesday and wednesday guidng so stop by the boat if you are fishing for a "cool one". Hopefully we can get some goldeyes nezt week.

Finally tally this morning was 9 kitties with 6 being masters. They were all FATTTTTTTTTTTTT. I only had goldeye and they seemed to enjoy it. We also got a drum that was 28 1/2". There was only 2 of us and we just fished the morning but if U are coming up do NOT forget, kitties are in my opinion much better at night or at least early morning or late evening.

Hi Stu, Hi Canuck, can hardly wait till september! been so busy catching those "other fish" here in Mn, finally time for some real action! I'll bring the "gills" for another fish fry. I realize water conditions can change a lot by then but how is the flow now? See you characters soon, Dave in Walker, not sure of our dates again! I'll call to confirm

Shef: Looking forward to seeing U. I am sure the kitties will accommodate U. What I am seeing now is Sept should produce alot of fish in the high 20s and a few into the 30s. Off to set up some archery elk blinds tomorrow and back on Tues then the 28th off for a wk or hopefully for elk. Only a couple of days in Sept tied up but I am sure we can always make time for some gills and bs or even fishing.

Look forward to see U and other fellow board members this fall.

Quote:

Hi Stu, Hi Canuck, can hardly wait till september! been so busy catching those "other fish" here in Mn, finally time for some real action! I'll bring the "gills" for another fish fry. I realize water conditions can change a lot by then but how is the flow now? See you characters soon, Dave in Walker, not sure of our dates again! I'll call to confirm

GILL's = fish fry on the deck, what a great idea!

The action is improving daily, by the time you guys arrive, it should be awesome! I have you arriving on the 11th.

The river's in great shape, decent flow, normal water levels that I haven't seen in a while. As the water temps continue to fall, the kitties aggression will only continue to rise!

Some friends of mine were out yesterday and in less than two hours they caught thirty five green backs! Nothing big, infact they were all of the eater size variety or under two pounds. Hopefully this is an indication of better things to come as the fall & winter approaches!

One other item worth mentioning about the kitties, they're in tremendous shape, I'm talking really fat! Maybe this will be the year you crack a thirty!

See you soon!

• 2 weeks later...

hey boys just seeing how the action is looking up norht. I am thinking about draggin my uncle mark up there for a two day quick trip. Are the piggies on the move? ANy info is greatly aprreciated. Nooner

Hey nooner, sorry for the delay for some reason I couldn't LOG IN????????

That aside, the bite has improved dramatically and is continuing to increase daily. Still the best action right now is after dark, although the dam is producing plenty of action. Water temps are still hovering around seventy and I would like to see them in the mid sixties or lower.

Give Mark my regards!