• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7 Pin electrical issues

stmichael

Question

I have a 2000 F150, I bought one of those lights that plug into the round 7 pin. It appears to be wired, but, the only lights that work are the basic trailer lights, any ideas or clues? confused.gif

I thought about looking at the fuses under the hood, I was sidetracked forgot about it til this morning. Thought I would toss the question here and see what the experts have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

22 answers to this question

The pins that are not working are for the electric brakes. I believe the other thre pins are for battery power, Brake controller output to the trailer brakes, and auxillary power? I am by no means an electric brake expert so this may be off base!!!

My Tundra also has a 7 pin trailer connector. When I purchased the vehicle the salesman handed me a harness to use with a brake controller that plugs into the factory wiring harness. Only the basic light fuctions work untill I install the harness and a controller

In my 2001 F150 they did include fuses for the trailer lights. There are separate fuses for the brakes and the tail lights. Check your owner's manual. I believe the fuses are located under the hood in the main fuse box if I remember correctly.

Bob

It looks like I need to get this harness and a controller. Is there a cheepie out there or what am I looking at spending (ballpark) Under a hundred bucks?

What do you mean "basic" trailer lights work?

If your saying your brake/signal lights work and the running lights do not, it's most likely a fuse under the hood.

There are about 3 fuse boxes on this truck. One under the dash and 2 (maybe 3?) under the hood. There is a small fuse box tucked against the driver's side front quarter panel. This box holds several small fuses, and that is where the trailer light fuse is located. It's stumped me before. smirk.gif

Good luck

Are you pulling a trailer that has electric brakes?

I recently added the 7-pin to accommodate a new camper. I was previously running lights off the normal T-plug. The additional wires for power and brakes were installed but were left unattached under the hood.

Airjer,

Not at this time, I picked up one of those halogen lights that plug into the 7 pin. There are two controls on this light one position is when the truck is in reverse and the other, when the lights are on. When trying to get it to light in reverse it does not light up(it lights up when lights are on). I have the opportunity to use a trailer with electric brakes, so, the controller is not something that is needed immediately, unless I need one to get the reverse light (for trailer) to work.

ChuckN,

What I meant by basic trailer lights is the typical wiring for a small trailer/boat, running, break, signals, what I do not have is power coming from the 7 pin for reverse/electric brake.

I bought the truck used, equipped with the tow package. The 7 pin was already on the truck. I am assuming that it was done at factory. I did not recieve the wiring harness for the break controller.

This is just me, because I am electrically stupid.

I would just take it to a local hitch shop and say "Fix it" or even just have them check it out. I have had great luck with Minnesota hitch in Ramsey. They are very quick and do a nice job.

Just my two cents.

I understand where you are coming from Fishin, but, I like to get my hands dirty and try to figure it out. Most of the time I do not have issues. I really have not had the time yet to look into it and I thought posting my problem here would hopefully find someone that had the same issue and would "pony up" some information. The most I have looked at it was 5 min. in the parking lot at Cabelas yesterday. I have wires coming in to the 7 pin and all are accounted for. I did not have time to follow wires to make sure they were going somewhere. I will be looking at it in better detail today. If, I find that there is nothing else I can do, I will for sure bring it in.

We posted at the same time and now I get what you were saying...can't help ya. I have that very same factory 7 pin on my F150. Never towed anything that required this.

But, I am curious what you find because I have to hook up and tow a 28' RV camper in the near future and I have to figure this out... grin.gif

Chuck, the 7 pin connector will work with your trailer, but you might want to get a brake controller to help braking action and not have trailer wheels lockup etc.

They cost between $ 45.00 to $ 200.00 depending on features, etc.

O.k. Then you need to concentrate on the center pin/terminal. Do your reverse lights work on the truck? I'll look at some diagrams when I get to work. Hopefully there is a simple solution!

When you do get your brake controller, go to a ford Dealer and pick up a harness that goes from the factory plugin under your dash (right hand side) to the brake controller. It runs about $14 and makes it very easy to hook up and remove.

I wanted to take a look at that particular circuit on the vehicle side to see if it is piggy backed off the reverse light circuit, what fuses it runs off, are there relays involved, or if it on its own circuit and somehow reliant on a controller for it to function. Like I said I'm not an electric brake guy but if it has electrons I'll figure out whats going on! grin.gif

Reverse lights do work on the truck

Thanks Valv for the information. I printed it out for reference.

I will not be back until Monday. I will be logging off around 1 today.

O.k. According to the wiring diagram in the underhood fuse block on the left side of the engine compartment (driver side) there is a fuse and a relay for the reverse lights for the trailer package. The fuse is #5 (msy not be correct, sometimes the mitchel is off, your owners manuel would give you a better idea) its a 20 amp fuse dedicated to the trailer reverse and trailer running lamp relays. The trailer reverse light relay should also be in the some fuse box (again your owners manuel would give you a better idea which relay this is). I suspect that the reverse relay is missing since the running lamps are working and the circuit is powered by the same fuse. It doesn't appear that a brake controller is neccessary for the reverse light circuit to work.

Good luck on Monday!! Hope this helps you out.

The 7 pin connector in the rear is wired fromt the factor for brake lights, tail lights, and turn signals only. When you buy a controller (I have one called Envoy which was about $80.00 and works great) you can get the jumper harness from Ford, wire it to the controller and it will plug in under the dash. If I remember right you can choose between having the backup lights work or use it as an auxilary power.

while you have somemone put it in reverse with the brake

on of course, check the center terminal on the bargeman

7 way connector. that would be the reverse lights, the wire

will be yellow. a lot of the trailers out there dont have

reverse lights so possibly they just didnt hook up the yellow

wire... also as someone metioned above there could be a fuse relay involved

bbqhead

rv tech

I don't mean to stall or troll this thread but also beware some trailers have an anti-backup valve on their BOAT trailer. What happens trailer brakes engage when trailer is backed up, wether hooked up to truck or not (anti-roll feature). To avoid this many mfg have an electric valve installed, when you back up your truck with trailer it will unlock the anty-backup feature using the "backup light" pin on your 7 pins connector.

If you have a trailer with a FLAT 5 (note 5 not 4) pin connector you will have to get your backup light pin to work or you will not be able mto backup the trailer.

I found out that the fuses for the reverse light, and, electric break was not installed at factory. $30 some odd dollars later the reverse light works, and the power for the electric break is there.

Thank you all for the point in the right direction.

Have a good one.