Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klw

Electrical problem?

19 posts in this topic

Bought a new boat this spring and I have what I believe is a problem that the dealer doesn't feel is a problem. The boat has a cigarette lighter that blows the fuses on my handheld gps when I plug it in. It also blows the fuse on both of my neighbors handheld GPS units so I know it is not my unit. The dealer that I bought the boat from says that this cigarette lighter plug is "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit." Any ideas

Could you clarify this a little. When you say blows the fuse on the handheld do you mean inside the Handheld or the fuse on the boat. If the fuse is inside the handheld it is possible that 24v is being provided at the power plug. If it is the boat fuse then there might be something wrong with the cigarette power plug (the center contact must be moving somehow and shorting out to ground). The statement about the power plug only being for high amperage devices is false (fuses only blow when you exceed the rated amperage there is no penalty for using less power)

it blows the inline fuse in the GPS power cord. I have used the cigarette lighter for other things (12 volts air pump, 12 volt lantern) with no problems.

Ugl, you have peaked my curiosity. I would also like to know how many volts are coming out of the socket. With a volt meter place the postive lead on the center part of the bottom of the socket and the negative on the side of the socket. I'm stil trying to rationalize it in my head but I think that the possibility may exist that the handhelds only need roughly 3 to 4.5 volts to operate. I'm not sure where or if that conversion takes place but if the socket is trying to ram 24 volts to the GPS it may be the cause of the fuse popping. Does that make any sense? The other thing I wanted to know is if the other devices seem to run faster (air pump) or shine brighter (lantern). This would be a good inicator that the right voltage is not being supplied.

I'd check the polarity first. Make sure the center of the socket is hot (battery voltage) and the outside is ground. Most small electronics are polarity protected and will blow a fuse if its not correct. Lights etc will work either way. That might explain why it doesn't affect the fuse on those.

As far as the sockets only being "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit." Thats a bunch of malarky..........

I'd check the polarity as well.

I agree with Mac. The statement about running only large items is BS. If the polarity check does not turn up anything, I would replace the cig receptacle itself. This should be something the dealer should do but it might be less pain to go to Fleet Farm and get a new one and put it in yourself.

I agree with polarity check also. A light is not bothered if polarity is switched, but a GPS will.

Check underneath your dash/panel you should see a black wire connected to the outside of plug, the other color should be to the center.

Revers polarity!! Why didn't I think of that!!! grin.gif

If the polarity was off wouldn't the air pump run backwards?

Quote:

If the polarity was off wouldn't the air pump run backwards?

I know trolling motors do, not that I have done that before. LOL grin.gif

So do blower motors in automobiles and radiator cooling fans! Not that I've ever done that! grin.gif

Quote:

The dealer that I bought the boat from says that this cigarette lighter plug is "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit."

I do not want this to turn into a dealer bashing, but since I am in the market for a new boat it would be nice to know…. Would you mind telling us who told you this?

Air pumps are just small little blowers it doesn't matter which way it turns. Lights are same it doesn't matter where's the + and - it will always light up the bulb.

Now plug in an inverter or a VCR and it will blow something, guaranteed. shocked.gif

The statement made by the dealer (salesperson?) is clearly a response from someone that doesn't really understand electrical circuitry.

A socket doesn't "put out" or force a specific current on the load. It's the other way around. The load will demand the amount of current it needs to operate. A properly functioning GPS will demand a very low current from the circuit. If the circuit is designed for high current loads, the GPS will not bother it at all.

Bob

One should ask the dealer where he plugs in the car charger for his cell phone! grin.gif Did he have someone install a special ultra low current model for that? That really was an unbelievably poor response from the dealer……

Quote:

One should ask the dealer where he plugs in the car charger for his cell phone!
grin.gif
Did he have someone install a special ultra low current model for that? That really was an unbelievably poor response from the dealer……

Sounds like the typical salesman answer, doesn't it.

Brrrr, stay away from such a place, sometimes I like the idea of Bill Engvall to have people wear the Stupid sign. If he was wearing it you would not have asked him the question.... grin.gif

update.....I tested the DC voltage coming from the power point and it was -6.37 volts? the voltage at every other place on the boat I tested was 12.3 volts. I took the boat to the dealer(CP) yesterday and talked to the service manager. He said they will replace the plug in and I will bepicking it up tomorrow morning.

WHAT??? You brought it in yesterday and it'll be done tomorrow??? shocked.gif Can I cry now??? frown.gif Wish I could get some service like that...or even any....BoooHooooHoooo

actually they (CP) just called me and it is ready for pickup today.....looks like I might have to try find a few Walleyes on gull tonight.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BringAnExtension
      My trophy would be the walleye, mainly because it is what I target but I have to admit hooking a 21" small mouth would be a fun battle.
    • Wheres_Walter
      So I saw this question posed elsewhere, and thought it was a fun one to get people talking as we wait for open water season.   Which trophy fish do you have on Vermilion?  Which do you want the most?  And why?   A- 30" Walleye B- 21" Smallie C- 40" Pike D- 50" Muskie   My goal is a 21"+ smallie.  I got a 20.5" last summer, which is 1/2" shy of Master Angler quality in Minnesota.  Why?  Because I can't get so close and not ultimately achieve the goal.  The 21" smallie on Vermilion is now my white whale.      
    • Rick
      Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure this summer? Sign up for one of the I Can! programs offered by Minnesota state parks and trails.   Reservations are being taken for the following beginner-level programs, which start in June and continue through the end of August: I Can Camp! – Develop (or brush up on) fire-starting and camp cooking skills and sleep on air mattresses in tents large enough to accommodate two adults and up to three children ($60 for one-night programs or $85 for two-night programs). I Can Paddle! – Get out on the water for a guided canoeing, kayaking or sea kayaking adventure (prices vary).  I Can Climb! – Experience the thrill of rock climbing with instruction provided by trained professionals from Vertical Endeavors Guided Adventures ($10/child, $20/adult).  I Can Mountain Bike! – Learn riding techniques and explore mountain bike trails with guides from the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club ($15/child, $25/adult).  I Can Fish! – Kids will have fun of casting into the water and enjoying the excitement when there’s a tug on the line. ($5/person, children under 12 are free). The I Can! series also includes the Archery in the Parks program, which is free and for which no reservations are needed. “Not having the right equipment or know-how can be a barrier to spending time outdoors,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “The I Can! programs make it easy for families to enjoy camping and other outdoor experiences by providing tents, canoes, mountain bikes and other gear. Friendly instructors also provide plenty of tips and encouragement so that adults and kids can both have fun learning new skills.” Registration and more information For more information including program dates, times, locations, and minimum age requirements—visit www.mndnr.gov/ican or contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). To register for a program, visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations or call 866-857-2757 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, except holidays). This series of introductory programs is made possible with funding from the Parks and Trails Fund, created after voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in November 2008. The Parks and Trails Fund receives a share of sales tax revenue that may only be spent to support parks and trails of regional or statewide significance. The I Can! programs received a Government Innovation Award in 2015. More than 12,800 people have participated in these programs since they were first offered in 2010. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Anyone living near bear habitat is reminded to be aware of bears this spring and check their property for food sources that could attract bears.  “Leaving food out in yards that can be eaten by bears can lead to property damage and presents dangers to bears,” said Eric Nelson, wildlife animal damage program supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “Pet food, livestock feed, birdseed, compost or garbage can attract bears.” As bears emerge from hibernation, their metabolism gradually ramps up and they will begin looking for food at a time when berries and green vegetation can be scarce. Only black bears live in the wild in Minnesota. They usually are shy and flee when encountered. Never approach or try to pet a bear. Injury to people is rare, but bears are potentially dangerous because of their size, strength and speed. The DNR does not relocate problem bears. Relocated bears seldom remain where they are released. They may return to where they were caught or become a problem somewhere else. The DNR offers some tips for avoiding bear conflicts. Around the yard Do not leave food from barbeques and picnics outdoors, especially overnight. Coolers are not bear-proof. Replace hummingbird feeders with hanging flower baskets, which are also attractive to hummingbirds. Eliminate birdfeeders or hang them 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the nearest trees. Use a rope and pulley system to refill birdfeeders, and clean up spilled seeds. Where bears are a nuisance, birdfeeders should be taken down between now and Dec. 1. Store pet food inside and feed pets inside. If pets must be fed outdoors, feed them only as much as they will eat. Clean and store barbeque grills after each use. Store them in a secure shed or garage away from windows and doors. Pick fruit from trees as soon as it’s ripe, and collect fallen fruit immediately. Limit compost piles to grass, leaves and garden clippings, and turn piles regularly. Do not add food scraps. Harvest garden produce as it matures. Locate gardens away from forests and shrubs that bears may use for cover. Use native plants in landscaping whenever possible. Clover and dandelions will attract bears. Elevate bee hives on bear-proof platforms or erect properly designed electric fences. Do not put out feed for wildlife (like corn, oats, pellets or molasses blocks). Garbage Store garbage in bear-resistant garbage cans or dumpsters. Rubber or plastic garbage cans are not bear-proof. Keep garbage inside a secure building until the morning of pickup. Properly rinse all recyclable containers with hot water to remove all remaining product. Store recyclable containers, such as pop cans, inside. Store garbage that can become smelly, such as meat or fish scraps, in a freezer until it can be taken to a refuse site or picked up by refuse collector. Take especially smelly or rotting garbage as soon as possible to your local refuse facility so it can be buried. People should always be cautious around bears. If they have persistent bear problems after cleaning up the food sources, they should contact a DNR area wildlife office for assistance. For the name of the local wildlife manager, contact the DNR Information Center at 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367, or visit the office locator page. For more information, visit mndnr.gov/livingwith_wildlife/bears. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Registration is open for the 2017 I Can! programs Looking for an unforgettable outdoor adventure this summer? Sign up for one of the I Can! programs offered by Minnesota state parks and trails.
      Reservations are being taken for the following beginner-level programs, which start in June and continue through the end of August: I Can Camp! – Develop (or brush up on) fire-starting and camp cooking skills and sleep on air mattresses in tents large enough to accommodate two adults and up to three children ($60 for one-night programs or $85 for two-night programs). I Can Paddle! – Get out on the water for a guided canoeing, kayaking or sea kayaking adventure (prices vary).  I Can Climb! – Experience the thrill of rock climbing with instruction provided by trained professionals from Vertical Endeavors Guided Adventures ($10/child, $20/adult).  I Can Mountain Bike! – Learn riding techniques and explore mountain bike trails with guides from the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Club ($15/child, $25/adult).  I Can Fish! – Kids will have fun of casting into the water and enjoying the excitement when there’s a tug on the line. ($5/person, children under 12 are free). The I Can! series also includes the Archery in the Parks program, which is free and for which no reservations are needed. “Not having the right equipment or know-how can be a barrier to spending time outdoors,” said Erika Rivers, director of Minnesota state parks and trails. “The I Can! programs make it easy for families to enjoy camping and other outdoor experiences by providing tents, canoes, mountain bikes and other gear. Friendly instructors also provide plenty of tips and encouragement so that adults and kids can both have fun learning new skills.” Registration and more information For more information including program dates, times, locations, and minimum age requirements—visit www.mndnr.gov/ican or contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). To register for a program, visit www.mndnr.gov/reservations or call 866-857-2757 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, except holidays). This series of introductory programs is made possible with funding from the Parks and Trails Fund, created after voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in November 2008. The Parks and Trails Fund receives a share of sales tax revenue that may only be spent to support parks and trails of regional or statewide significance. The I Can! programs received a Government Innovation Award in 2015. More than 12,800 people have participated in these programs since they were first offered in 2010. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.