Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klw

Electrical problem?

19 posts in this topic

Bought a new boat this spring and I have what I believe is a problem that the dealer doesn't feel is a problem. The boat has a cigarette lighter that blows the fuses on my handheld gps when I plug it in. It also blows the fuse on both of my neighbors handheld GPS units so I know it is not my unit. The dealer that I bought the boat from says that this cigarette lighter plug is "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit." Any ideas

Could you clarify this a little. When you say blows the fuse on the handheld do you mean inside the Handheld or the fuse on the boat. If the fuse is inside the handheld it is possible that 24v is being provided at the power plug. If it is the boat fuse then there might be something wrong with the cigarette power plug (the center contact must be moving somehow and shorting out to ground). The statement about the power plug only being for high amperage devices is false (fuses only blow when you exceed the rated amperage there is no penalty for using less power)

it blows the inline fuse in the GPS power cord. I have used the cigarette lighter for other things (12 volts air pump, 12 volt lantern) with no problems.

Ugl, you have peaked my curiosity. I would also like to know how many volts are coming out of the socket. With a volt meter place the postive lead on the center part of the bottom of the socket and the negative on the side of the socket. I'm stil trying to rationalize it in my head but I think that the possibility may exist that the handhelds only need roughly 3 to 4.5 volts to operate. I'm not sure where or if that conversion takes place but if the socket is trying to ram 24 volts to the GPS it may be the cause of the fuse popping. Does that make any sense? The other thing I wanted to know is if the other devices seem to run faster (air pump) or shine brighter (lantern). This would be a good inicator that the right voltage is not being supplied.

I'd check the polarity first. Make sure the center of the socket is hot (battery voltage) and the outside is ground. Most small electronics are polarity protected and will blow a fuse if its not correct. Lights etc will work either way. That might explain why it doesn't affect the fuse on those.

As far as the sockets only being "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit." Thats a bunch of malarky..........

I'd check the polarity as well.

I agree with Mac. The statement about running only large items is BS. If the polarity check does not turn up anything, I would replace the cig receptacle itself. This should be something the dealer should do but it might be less pain to go to Fleet Farm and get a new one and put it in yourself.

I agree with polarity check also. A light is not bothered if polarity is switched, but a GPS will.

Check underneath your dash/panel you should see a black wire connected to the outside of plug, the other color should be to the center.

Revers polarity!! Why didn't I think of that!!! grin.gif

If the polarity was off wouldn't the air pump run backwards?

Quote:

If the polarity was off wouldn't the air pump run backwards?

I know trolling motors do, not that I have done that before. LOL grin.gif

So do blower motors in automobiles and radiator cooling fans! Not that I've ever done that! grin.gif

Quote:

The dealer that I bought the boat from says that this cigarette lighter plug is "only designed to run large items such as spotlights and puts out too much amperage to run a small GPS unit."

I do not want this to turn into a dealer bashing, but since I am in the market for a new boat it would be nice to know…. Would you mind telling us who told you this?

Air pumps are just small little blowers it doesn't matter which way it turns. Lights are same it doesn't matter where's the + and - it will always light up the bulb.

Now plug in an inverter or a VCR and it will blow something, guaranteed. shocked.gif

The statement made by the dealer (salesperson?) is clearly a response from someone that doesn't really understand electrical circuitry.

A socket doesn't "put out" or force a specific current on the load. It's the other way around. The load will demand the amount of current it needs to operate. A properly functioning GPS will demand a very low current from the circuit. If the circuit is designed for high current loads, the GPS will not bother it at all.

Bob

One should ask the dealer where he plugs in the car charger for his cell phone! grin.gif Did he have someone install a special ultra low current model for that? That really was an unbelievably poor response from the dealer……

Quote:

One should ask the dealer where he plugs in the car charger for his cell phone!
grin.gif
Did he have someone install a special ultra low current model for that? That really was an unbelievably poor response from the dealer……

Sounds like the typical salesman answer, doesn't it.

Brrrr, stay away from such a place, sometimes I like the idea of Bill Engvall to have people wear the Stupid sign. If he was wearing it you would not have asked him the question.... grin.gif

update.....I tested the DC voltage coming from the power point and it was -6.37 volts? the voltage at every other place on the boat I tested was 12.3 volts. I took the boat to the dealer(CP) yesterday and talked to the service manager. He said they will replace the plug in and I will bepicking it up tomorrow morning.

WHAT??? You brought it in yesterday and it'll be done tomorrow??? shocked.gif Can I cry now??? frown.gif Wish I could get some service like that...or even any....BoooHooooHoooo

actually they (CP) just called me and it is ready for pickup today.....looks like I might have to try find a few Walleyes on gull tonight.