• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Miss water levels - St. Cloud to Clearwater?

Jaybird

I think I know the response I'm going to get, but does anyone know if this stretch is high enough for a float? I was planning on our annual trip one of the next 2 weekends but I don't want to be dragging the canoe over sandbars the whole time.

You should be able to float just fine in several stretches. There are a couple that will be really skinny. I know it is fully navigable by jet.... Not like that helps any... good luck if you go.. grin.gif

Jaybird,

I fish upriver of Clearwater all the time. Even with the low water levels you shouldn't have to much for troubles. If you are somewhat familiar with the river (and it sounds like you are) and you stay in the deeper part of the river, once you get a couple miles downriver from St. Cloud you should be just fine.

Be forwarned though that with so little current if you are going against the wind (ie if the wind is out of the S-SE) it will make for a very long day. I've spoken to many a tired canoeist in the past several weeks. There just isn't enough current in most places to overcome even a moderate breeze.

Good luck.