Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chemfish

Green lake smallies

8 posts in this topic

I haven't been on Green for several years. Would like to start fishing for those smallies on the lake. Could anyone share depths, techniques and presentations that would help me find some of them? Thanks.

I have been getting some nice smallies in 10-15 feet of water. Whats been working the best for me is the Texas rig with a nice slow retrieve. Hope this helps and good luck.

If your willing to use livebait. Go to J's bait on hi-way 12 east side of willmar. Its close to the by-pass. Get some fatheads and any of his river minnows if able. Find a hump that comes from 30 plus feet of water up to 20 or less. Use a 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig, or a lindy rig with a 3/8 sinker. you'll find them, you may to move a few times. Those poor fish are getting the daylights beat out them. Several guys from the twin cities come out to get in on the smallie fishing.

Was out there yesterday, found them in 14 to 16 feet, jigging using a crawler, red, red/black jig head tho. Everything was mid day for me, really died off around 6pm.

I was out there a few weeks ago, and we were hiting the smallies hardcore with chatter baits. Black blue or chart, they were going crazy. 4-8 feet water

Had a guide trip with a gentleman, from New York, who wanted to catch smallmouth. We came out Green lake and had a super day. He caught and released a 20in. / 4.8lb. smallie, with several other fish. We even had a good walleye bite go. The eyes were small but for the most part they could have been eaters 14-17 inches. We caught our best smallies on crankbaits.

Any new reports on smallmouth action???? I will be out there in 2 weeks for 3 days of smallmouth fishing.

What is the water temp now??? Any good patterns being found!!

fisher98 cool.gif

I was on the lake friday morning. I had 71 for a surface temp. The smallie bit was real slow but the walleyes bit ok even though many were small. I used both live bait and cranks.