Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingr

Alden Lake

7 posts in this topic

My cousin just closed on a cabin on Alden. He asked me if the fishing is worth getting excited about. I've never fished it. Any comments?

Also, walleyes are still shallow in the weeds on Island. I finally had a nice meal of fresh fish!

You just stay out of that area Kingr!!!!

I may have moved but I'll be back!!

Next time your home call me and I'll show you how to fish.

Aaaaah!!!!! It's back!!!! Eddy came out of hiding!!!!

I've fished Little Alden a lot. The fishing can be very hit-and-miss, but when it's good it's good. Seems to be more of a morning area rather than an evening area, though you'll get some fish at dusk. It seems like the fish tend to be larger but fewer between than say, Island Lake or Whiteface.

There are largemouths and smallies in the lakes, along with plenty of sunnies and northerns. Fishing the weeds for northerns/bass I've accidentally caught a few monster crappies and a couple nice walleyes, but they're tough to find once the lakes weed up.

You can head up the river if you've got a canoe or small boat and there are some deep pools below rapids that are usually good for a few 'eyes as well. Lots of deer on the banks, too.

Keep your wits about you, too, because there are rumors of Muskies patrolling the area. wink.gif But shh.

Have fun. Great lakes to fish. Lots of cabins/homes, but not much boat traffic at all, even on the weekends. Weeknights I usually have the lake to myself.

~ Tom

Royalwolf summed it up pretty good although I've had some very good afternoon/evening fishing. Alden has it all and a great lake for a cabin. The river is a bonus, get dropped off up stream or picked up at Island lake. Not a lot of traffic but being a private lake the guys out there fishing know the lake well, selective harvest is imperative to keep Alden strong.

This 30" eye was a C&R from Alden. Summer afternoon trolling the deep water with a worm harness.

30alden.jpg

Frank that Pic makes it look like you picked up a floater. grin.gif

Just carefully helping the lady back into the water. grin.gif