• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shore fishing muskies

i am getting into shore fishing lake harriet for muskies and was wondering what are some good baits for shore fishing.Usually im in a boat so this is a little different.Any help would be appreciated

I've just started doing the exact same thing. But my muskies knowledge is lacking so its a bit difficult. I've been throwing surface baits over the milfoil (when there is any now that they cut it so often). I'm thinking of getting a bucktail to throw between the boats.

No I am fishless. The constant cutting of the weeds is really disturbing the fishing in and around the shore.

I think your best bet for muskies would be right after the opener, before the milfoil gets too thick. Try spinner baits, bucktails and top waters like the large bass size Zara Spook. Spoons alo work well. I caught a 15 Lb'er from shore last year on a doctor spoon.

I used to work downtown. I had an hour for lunch and would sometimes go target muskies. Always hit Calhune. Needless to say, its tough. I went maybe 20-30 times casting every muskie bait I had. I only got one off a Bass style buzzbait on a rainy day in 2 fow. I would see fish all the time. Nice working over there, muskie fishing and excellent mexican food. Man did that job suck, good thing the laid me off grin.gif.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been fishing sunnies on the south end of Harriet the past few weekends had a good 4'+ muskie / northern follow my bobber and hook right back to the dock then 10 min later take the hook right off the end of my line. He ignored the x-rap I presented to him right after that. They are in the shallows on the south side now. I am going to try a bunny strip this weekend.

Also had a Muskie take a sunnie from my line as I was reeling it in about 3 weeks ago.

I went up to the southside of Harriet last Saturday for bass and caught only little ones. I might have to go soak a few suckers this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I was ice fishing on Harrient this past Winter near the bandshell and had a decent size Muskie come trolling by my hole in about 6-8 feet of water. Funny how that happens how all of sudden your flasher will go blank and then a muskie or a northern comes rolling through looking for dinner. Correct me if I am wrong, but I could have sworn that the West Metro Lake Map Book said something about Calhoun holding the record for the largest Muskie in the state for most of the 1990's. Don't quote me on that. I am just banking that on my tattered memory.

i just got back from camping on independence!man we had a blast,caught some bass and i had 2 nice skis on throwing a hawg wabbler in the beach area(from shore)and my dad also had a muskie on throwin a muskie size spinnerbait but they all threw the hooks before we could land them

• 3 months later...

When I lived in the heart of Minneapolis I used to do a lot of shore fishing for muskies on Nokomis, Harriet and Calhoun. Heck, even when I go back to fish them from a boat I'm within casting distance of shore 90% of the time. In my experience you can cast pretty much everything from shore as you can from a boat including bucktails. The milfoil presents a challenge like you said, but if you burn a bucktail over the top you'll do just fine. The funny thing is that the biggest one I caught was a tiger on a bass lure on Nokomis (see photo).

Early morning is a great time of the day for shorefishing these metro lakes and don't be afraid to fish right by the swimming beaches. The muskies like to sit in theses areas early in the morning and are eager to bite.

Just remember to release whatever you catch. Bring the camera, take a quick photograph, and then let it swim away. These metro lakes aren't pressured too heavily and I don't think it will be long before the record tiger is back on. I know it's a long shot compared to Vermilion or Mille Lacs, but Harriet could pop out a state record. I've heard of a lot of 54 inchers caught in there and it's not crazy to think there are a few even bigger.

• 4 months later...

Try Lake Rebecca out west. I went there for crappie fishing a few weeks ago, got at least five or six fish taken by muskies as I was reeling it in. These were huge ones too. Saw one of them because it came right by the dock.

i canoed past a 4 footer earlier this year on harriet...... they are in there..... just a question of gettin 'em on the end of the line.....

i was walleye fishing there on opener from shore and got a 35 incher

Out fishing this weekend for bass and gills on Harriet. I was over by the south side of the marina Saturday and saw a good 36"+ Northern in about 2 feet of water hugging the wall. If I had a net I could have scoped him up. Fished for about 10 minuets got a decent size bass on when that Northern decided he wanted it more. Played tug a war with him for about 5 minuets until he turned and snapped my line. 10 minuets latter he took a gill from me too. tongue.gif