• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

leaking lund boat

Ram56

Question

need help, I have a 16ft. 83 Lund pro angler, noticed quite a bit of water in the back of the boat. Is it common for live well hoses and fitting to leak? Also buying a new drain plug the old one looks pretty bad, that may be it too.

suggestions before my boat sinks!

30 answers to this question

You can fill the boat up with water in your driveway to see where it comes out. Start checking the rivets and all of the joints. Always a good idea to replace the plug. Great job on choice of boat, I have the same exact one laugh.gif

Do you have water in the boat when you have not run the live well? I just found out that mine only leaks when it is filling so my fill hose must have cracked. It has done it once before and is right before it comes into the live well so it is not too big of a job to fix. If it is your rivets it is not a easy fix.

I'll buy a new drain plug today, but on the live well I had it turned on drain all the time. I have not filled the live well for a while, but have the drain turned on. Maybe that's it. Thought about taking a cork and stopping up the intake, and by the process of elimination finding out where the water is coming in . I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

thanks for the help.

Quote:

I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

I have a 2003 Lund Pro V and I had 4 rivets leaking last year. I agree that Lund makes a great boat, but the rivets still give way every now and again (granted the previous owner fished the PWT with it and probably beat the stuffing out of it while doing so?).

It could be that the drain hose has a cut in it and the water's getting in that way.. you could try plugging the drain from the outside of the boat and running it that way.

I definately wouldn't rule out the hull... wouldn't be the first time someone's had a leaky rivet on a lund. I'd probably go the route of filling the bottom of the boat with water and watching where it leaks from... that should even flush out if it's a problem with the fill hose.

marine_man

Agree with the others, fill the boat up with water. Your live well pump could have a crack in it. gl

did most of the above, the live well is leaking and saw three small drips comin from rivets after fillin with water.

Put some silicone sealant on the rivets, don't know what to do about the live well.

Whatever you do, DONT fill the boat with water. A boat hull is designed to support itself with the water pressure working in, towards the center of the boat. Fill it with water and the pressure will be working out of the boat, and you run the very real risk of severely damaging the hull.

My brother had a 16' Lund that he pounded pretty hard. He developed a leak after a trip to LOW, so he took it to a dealer. He had loosened six rivets, causing it to take on water.

MNFISHINGUY,

I Didn't mean to fill it all the way up with water, I just meant to fill it up to the approx. water line, about 4 to 6 inches high with this particular boat. I don't think that little of water will make a difference. especially seeing all of the bracing that is put into it. I have done it on my boat to flush out the junk that collects under the floor, and have not had a problem. If it is not the correct way to do it how would a dealership do it the proper way? I can't think of any other way. Just my .02

Quote:

I'll buy a new drain plug today, but on the live well I had it turned on drain all the time. I have not filled the live well for a while, but have the drain turned on. Maybe that's it. Thought about taking a cork and stopping up the intake, and by the process of elimination finding out where the water is coming in . I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

thanks for the help.

I have a 2002 Lund Pro V. I had to have 28 rivits replaced last winter!

I had to pay for this out of my own pocket because the factory claimed the work was not done by an authorized dealer! tongue.gif

Cliff

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I caulked around the three leaking rivets. Put a cork in the live well entry. See what happens.

I live in the whitebear lake area, anyone you know that fixes live well plumping or rivets.

Cliff,

Is that the same boat we're going fishing in, in a few weeks??? wink.gif

My old boat was an '86 Lund Predator. AFter an eventfull week at the LOW, it leaked like a sieve. Tried everything. I put tape over all the intakes and still had lots of water. I even took the floor out and took it to the lake. The water just poored in. I made an appointment at the LUnd Custom shop in new york mills, and took the boat in. It's a good thing I know the boys working there or I wouldn't have gotten my boat back for opener and I took it there in February. They took it all apart and replace 5-6 square feet of hull that had suffered stress fractures. The metal was split but you couldn't even see the cracks, but they were big enough to let a lot of water in. I got the boat back in time for the opener and it never leaked again as long as I owned it. The point being, If it's not a hose or fitting, take it to the pros.

Lund is supposed to have a lifetime hull and wood warranty! My dads Lund leaks, but of course his is to old for them to stand by there warranty! You would think they would want to stand by all their boats. But they didn't!

We'll, we stopped the live well, bought a new drain plug, sealed some leaking rivets, and still pick up about a gallon /hr water. My wife and I fished last night and just accepted the fact my boat leaks.

Quote:

Lund is supposed to have a lifetime hull and wood warranty! My dads Lund leaks, but of course his is to old for them to stand by there warranty! You would think they would want to stand by all their boats. But they didn't!

I know there newer boats have a lifetime warranty but I am not sure what year they started offering this. But I am sure if the boat is old enough it probably won't be under warranty.

Ram: I asked this same question on this same forum back on June 1, 2005 (Lund Mr. Pike-1987). The title of the thread is "Boat Leak?" You may want to look back and check it out. There was a suggestion on how to check the keel seals which could be part of your problem.

For what Lund gets for there boats and there high resale its mho they should never have any leak issues!! I have been thinking about a new Lund for a year now but sure don't want to deal with any leaks! I wonder if these are a rare few listed here or does it happen much too frequently??. confused.gifconfused.gif

How about other riveted boats, Sylvan,Smokercraft etc. I have not heard of any leaks with them. But sooner or later you would think that the rivets would loosen some!

Quote:

For what Lund gets for there boats and there high resale its mho they should never have any leak issues!! I have been thinking about a new Lund for a year now but sure don't want to deal with any leaks! I wonder if these are a rare few listed here or does it happen much too frequently??.
confused.gifconfused.gif

How about other riveted boats, Sylvan,Smokercraft etc. I have not heard of any leaks with them. But sooner or later you would think that the rivets would loosen some!

They all have the potential to leak being riveted. But how many lunds are there out there compaired to the other brands mentioned. Also the few lunds you hear of leaking are a small percentage of the total lunds out there. My last two boats have been lunds and I have never had a leaky rivet on either of them.

For all you guys that are considering buying new boats but are worried about leaking rivots. They do make boats with all welded hulls.

I could be wrong, but looking at the boats on the road and the poll taken earlier this summer, there are far more Lunds around this area than other brands of boats. It stands to reason that if a very small percentage of boats have problems and the largest percentage of boats are Lunds, there will be the most problems with Lunds. It is true you can get welded hulls, but is it easier to replace one or two rivets, or reweld your hull. Also, there is always fiberglass, but growing up less than a mile from Lund's factory I may be a little biased.

Quote:

just accepted the fact my boat leaks.

Did you try filling the bottom of the boat with water?

marine_man

I did that with mine this last weekend. It worked wonders, it is a lot easier to see where the leaking rivets are...and the ones that are missing. I filled it up until water was flowing out the holes that rivets left behind. My buddy thought I was nuts, but, it worked for me. When filling up the boat just make sure that it is level, turn on the water go do something for about 20 minutes (give or take, this is also depending on your water pressure) the water level in the boat did not make it passed the carpet. Try to imagine where the water line is when sitting on the water and you should not have to fill it up any further. I had 3 missing rivets. I did not know how else to do this without bringing it in and I am sure I saved myself a ton of money, plus, I was ready to be back on the water that afternoon.

I did that twice, filled up the boat with water about 4 inch or so. We did notice some slight drips coming from about three rivets. Sealed them, and went back out to the lake last night. About a gallon/hr of water was in the boat. Thinking about the drain plug its old and the rubber looks shot on it. Its gotta be something like that for that much water to come in the boat. Got a cork stopping up the live well intake, so thats not it.

I know for sure that Lund has been advertising a lifetime warranty on the hull since 1990 when I bought my Rebel. I can understand that they will not cover one that has been repaired outside their shop. As a business how can we expect them to warrant the hull and the work performed by someone other than Lund? By doing the repairs themselves, they can stand by the repair work as well. Take it to a dealer if you have a hull leak and let them repair it to their high standards.

Incidentally, welded hulls can crack and leak over time as well. They are no more impervious than rivets. Even one-piece hulls can crack and leak. Metal will fatigue from age and use. There is no perfect solution.

Bob

Don't forget a leaking boat can have its benefits. I know on those hot summer days I depend on my slow leak to keep my feet cool from the summer sun! LOL, always have to find a bright side, right!

Try setting the tongue on the ground and re-filling with water. See if any water runs out of the back end under the end of the keel. Then tip it up and again, observe the back end of the keel rail. There is a point on the front of the hull where the one piece of aluminum splits and is wrapped around to form the bow. This seam is sealed by a rubber gasket between the keel and the hull. We have repaired dozens of leaks that originate from that gasket dry rotting. The key to this is to have the bow down so that the water will reach this seam.