Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Ram56

leaking lund boat

Ram56    0
Ram56

need help, I have a 16ft. 83 Lund pro angler, noticed quite a bit of water in the back of the boat. Is it common for live well hoses and fitting to leak? Also buying a new drain plug the old one looks pretty bad, that may be it too.

suggestions before my boat sinks!

RobertELee    0
RobertELee

You can fill the boat up with water in your driveway to see where it comes out. Start checking the rivets and all of the joints. Always a good idea to replace the plug. Great job on choice of boat, I have the same exact one laugh.gif

Jim Almquist    94
Jim Almquist

Do you have water in the boat when you have not run the live well? I just found out that mine only leaks when it is filling so my fill hose must have cracked. It has done it once before and is right before it comes into the live well so it is not too big of a job to fix. If it is your rivets it is not a easy fix.

Ram56    0
Ram56

I'll buy a new drain plug today, but on the live well I had it turned on drain all the time. I have not filled the live well for a while, but have the drain turned on. Maybe that's it. Thought about taking a cork and stopping up the intake, and by the process of elimination finding out where the water is coming in . I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

thanks for the help.

Anylakeanytime    0
Anylakeanytime

Quote:

I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

I have a 2003 Lund Pro V and I had 4 rivets leaking last year. I agree that Lund makes a great boat, but the rivets still give way every now and again (granted the previous owner fished the PWT with it and probably beat the stuffing out of it while doing so?).

marine_man    1
marine_man

It could be that the drain hose has a cut in it and the water's getting in that way.. you could try plugging the drain from the outside of the boat and running it that way.

I definately wouldn't rule out the hull... wouldn't be the first time someone's had a leaky rivet on a lund. I'd probably go the route of filling the bottom of the boat with water and watching where it leaks from... that should even flush out if it's a problem with the fill hose.

marine_man

bottomdweller    0
bottomdweller

Agree with the others, fill the boat up with water. Your live well pump could have a crack in it. gl

Ram56    0
Ram56

did most of the above, the live well is leaking and saw three small drips comin from rivets after fillin with water.

Put some silicone sealant on the rivets, don't know what to do about the live well.

JohnMickish    7
JohnMickish

Whatever you do, DONT fill the boat with water. A boat hull is designed to support itself with the water pressure working in, towards the center of the boat. Fill it with water and the pressure will be working out of the boat, and you run the very real risk of severely damaging the hull.

kslipsinker    0
kslipsinker

My brother had a 16' Lund that he pounded pretty hard. He developed a leak after a trip to LOW, so he took it to a dealer. He had loosened six rivets, causing it to take on water.

RobertELee    0
RobertELee

MNFISHINGUY,

I Didn't mean to fill it all the way up with water, I just meant to fill it up to the approx. water line, about 4 to 6 inches high with this particular boat. I don't think that little of water will make a difference. especially seeing all of the bracing that is put into it. I have done it on my boat to flush out the junk that collects under the floor, and have not had a problem. If it is not the correct way to do it how would a dealership do it the proper way? I can't think of any other way. Just my .02

Cliff Wagenbach    821
Cliff Wagenbach

Quote:

I'll buy a new drain plug today, but on the live well I had it turned on drain all the time. I have not filled the live well for a while, but have the drain turned on. Maybe that's it. Thought about taking a cork and stopping up the intake, and by the process of elimination finding out where the water is coming in . I don;t think its the boat, Lund makes pretty sturdy hulls.

thanks for the help.

I have a 2002 Lund Pro V. I had to have 28 rivits replaced last winter!

I had to pay for this out of my own pocket because the factory claimed the work was not done by an authorized dealer! tongue.gif

Cliff

Ram56    0
Ram56

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I caulked around the three leaking rivets. Put a cork in the live well entry. See what happens.

I live in the whitebear lake area, anyone you know that fixes live well plumping or rivets.

vermilionfox    10
vermilionfox

Cliff,

Is that the same boat we're going fishing in, in a few weeks??? wink.gif

eelpout#1    0
eelpout#1

My old boat was an '86 Lund Predator. AFter an eventfull week at the LOW, it leaked like a sieve. Tried everything. I put tape over all the intakes and still had lots of water. I even took the floor out and took it to the lake. The water just poored in. I made an appointment at the LUnd Custom shop in new york mills, and took the boat in. It's a good thing I know the boys working there or I wouldn't have gotten my boat back for opener and I took it there in February. They took it all apart and replace 5-6 square feet of hull that had suffered stress fractures. The metal was split but you couldn't even see the cracks, but they were big enough to let a lot of water in. I got the boat back in time for the opener and it never leaked again as long as I owned it. The point being, If it's not a hose or fitting, take it to the pros.

cybermuskie    0
cybermuskie

Lund is supposed to have a lifetime hull and wood warranty! My dads Lund leaks, but of course his is to old for them to stand by there warranty! You would think they would want to stand by all their boats. But they didn't!

Ram56    0
Ram56

We'll, we stopped the live well, bought a new drain plug, sealed some leaking rivets, and still pick up about a gallon /hr water. My wife and I fished last night and just accepted the fact my boat leaks.

iffwalleyes    0
iffwalleyes

Quote:

Lund is supposed to have a lifetime hull and wood warranty! My dads Lund leaks, but of course his is to old for them to stand by there warranty! You would think they would want to stand by all their boats. But they didn't!

I know there newer boats have a lifetime warranty but I am not sure what year they started offering this. But I am sure if the boat is old enough it probably won't be under warranty.

Fishook    0
Fishook

Ram: I asked this same question on this same forum back on June 1, 2005 (Lund Mr. Pike-1987). The title of the thread is "Boat Leak?" You may want to look back and check it out. There was a suggestion on how to check the keel seals which could be part of your problem.

Try Too Fish    0
Try Too Fish

For what Lund gets for there boats and there high resale its mho they should never have any leak issues!! I have been thinking about a new Lund for a year now but sure don't want to deal with any leaks! I wonder if these are a rare few listed here or does it happen much too frequently??. confused.gifconfused.gif

How about other riveted boats, Sylvan,Smokercraft etc. I have not heard of any leaks with them. But sooner or later you would think that the rivets would loosen some!

iffwalleyes    0
iffwalleyes

Quote:

For what Lund gets for there boats and there high resale its mho they should never have any leak issues!! I have been thinking about a new Lund for a year now but sure don't want to deal with any leaks! I wonder if these are a rare few listed here or does it happen much too frequently??.
confused.gifconfused.gif

How about other riveted boats, Sylvan,Smokercraft etc. I have not heard of any leaks with them. But sooner or later you would think that the rivets would loosen some!

They all have the potential to leak being riveted. But how many lunds are there out there compaired to the other brands mentioned. Also the few lunds you hear of leaking are a small percentage of the total lunds out there. My last two boats have been lunds and I have never had a leaky rivet on either of them.

Daddyy    0
Daddyy

For all you guys that are considering buying new boats but are worried about leaking rivots. They do make boats with all welded hulls.

mntraveler    0
mntraveler

I could be wrong, but looking at the boats on the road and the poll taken earlier this summer, there are far more Lunds around this area than other brands of boats. It stands to reason that if a very small percentage of boats have problems and the largest percentage of boats are Lunds, there will be the most problems with Lunds. It is true you can get welded hulls, but is it easier to replace one or two rivets, or reweld your hull. Also, there is always fiberglass, but growing up less than a mile from Lund's factory I may be a little biased.

marine_man    1
marine_man

Quote:

just accepted the fact my boat leaks.

Did you try filling the bottom of the boat with water?

marine_man

stmichael    0
stmichael

I did that with mine this last weekend. It worked wonders, it is a lot easier to see where the leaking rivets are...and the ones that are missing. I filled it up until water was flowing out the holes that rivets left behind. My buddy thought I was nuts, but, it worked for me. When filling up the boat just make sure that it is level, turn on the water go do something for about 20 minutes (give or take, this is also depending on your water pressure) the water level in the boat did not make it passed the carpet. Try to imagine where the water line is when sitting on the water and you should not have to fill it up any further. I had 3 missing rivets. I did not know how else to do this without bringing it in and I am sure I saved myself a ton of money, plus, I was ready to be back on the water that afternoon.