• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

muzzle brake question?

remington 300

I recently purchased a remington model 700 in 300 ultra mag,

and was thinking of having a muzzle brake put on, but before i do, i was hoping to get some advice, pros and cons,with the brake. i realise the brake will make it ALOT louder to shoot but is it so loud you'd need hearing protection in the field?

thanks in advance for any and all replys

On my 300 the kick was more than I personally cared to deal with.I talked to a gun shop and they told me they could have it done and it would reduce the kick by 40-50%.They also told me that a gentleman they know had it done and he blew a ear drum out.I had the brake put on and went to shoot it.

Results

1-I would say that the kick was reduced by at least 80%.The kick only seems to be that of a 410 shotgun.I dont have much muzzle jump and like that very much.

2-The noise is as bad as they stated it would be.The first time I shot it the noise was loud.After 3-4 shots my ears were ringing.It does not seem to bother me when I am hunting as I only take one shot and that is not at all bad.If I am going to the range to check the scope or make adjustments where I know I might shoot more than 3 rounds then I will put on ear protection.

I would tell you if you dont mind the kick and muzzle jump then dont have the brake put on as the noise is loud.

If you want a smoother shooting gun and can deal with some noise from 1 shot then have it done.If you dont mind wearing ear protection while hunting then I would also have it done,

When I am hunting and my buddies are 1/2 mile or more away they know when I am shooting as they tell me that the crack stands out from all other shots.

You should be wearing hearing protection any time you fire a magnum rifle. If you have a magnum and a muzzle brake you should double the hearing protection and wear ear plugs and muffs together.

You can get the brake and a use that while shooting at the range and replace it with a thread protector while hunting. Just check to see you have the same point of impact. Most people don't notice the recoil when shooting at game so if you don't have a flinch already, shooting without it won't be that big of a deal.

One other aspect of shooting with a muzzle brake is the debris that can be kicked back toward the shooter from a dirty bench or the ground. Eye protection is a must when using a muzzle brake.

Since the sound and powder gases are diverted to the side and back by the brake anyone close to you should be warned, and have hearing and eye protection.

I use ear plugs and or muffs anytime I am hunting with a rifle with a brake or a handgun. I have never had any problem with the muffs but have learned to keep the plugs warm in an inside pocket when it is cold.

thanks for the replies,

i should have stated i havent shot the rifle yet, and my biggest concern was sighting in. figuring it would take several sessions at the range to get it dialed in,considering the pounding id be taking.

with that being said, i think i'll have it put on.i can always do like tim said and take it off and cap the threads

IF i dont like the noise while hunting with it.

Harvey lee where'd you have yours done at? I see ahlmans in morristown will do it for 125.00. Does that sound reasonable?

Thats where mine was done and they did a excellent job.Mine might have been just a tad more as it was a stainless barrel.I believe it took a little better than a week but that was in the spring time.Might take a little longer closer to fall.They are a very good shop. smile.gif

A 300 Ultra mag is a lot of gun, no doubt. You are gonna feel it when you pull the trigger.

I don't care for muzzle brakes myself. Too dang loud for my liking.

I bought a 338 win mag about 10 years ago. It was a mean gun to shoot off of sand bags, even with a Pachmyer decellerator recoil pad. I bought a slip on recoil pad that is made by PAST. It will slip up your arm, and can be used either left or right shoulders. It really takes the bite out of magnum recoil. and spreads it out over a broader area. With the recoil pad on the gun, plus the PAST pad, the recoil is very manageable off sand bags.

Might be worth a try before you spring for the $$$ on a brake.

As harvey lee mentioned, the muzzle jump will still be there. I don't seem to notice the jump so much as I cycle the bolt.

gissert

Can you get those slip on recoil pads at stores like gander mtn. , cabelas?

After all the great advise, i think im going to shoot it first to see how bad it'll be,and also try and find a PAST pad to aid the sighting in.

If it kicks my azz to bad i can always get it done later.

thanks again

Mike

I bought mine online at Midway a few years ago, but I am betting Cabelas may have them.

Do a search on PAST recoil pads, and you should come up with some prices and distrubuters. IIRC, they make a MAG plus model that takes even more of the punch out of recoil.

• 2 weeks later...

see if you can get the "bennie coolie comp" put onto the rifle, i have one on my AR and its ATLEAST 85% less recoil, and only has ports on the side and top, so it wont throw sand shooting prone. and had the work done at J&S custom guns, in Lakeville. it took aboue 4 weeks for them to do it.

All great replies and I have to agree that breaks are terrible load.

Perhaps having your barrel ported is something you want to look at. I had it done on my 300 Win and have no regrets. It effectivly reduced recoil with out a huge noise difference. It was a bit of a compromise between break and no break.

I aslo really like the SIM recoil pads. I did the custome fit and love everything about it.

• 1 month later...

gissert,

well i finally got to shoot my new gun, i ended up buying one of those PAST pads and shot it, all i can say is it made it more than managable to shoot, i shot 16 rounds thru it and couldve went more, but at the price of those rounds i figured im done. (sighted in 2" high at 100 yards)

needless to say im glad i didnt put a brake on before shooting it, saved about 100.00. thanks for the tip

also on a side note

i also shot my 30-06 first, 3 rounds, and honestly the 30-06 hurt my shoulder socket more than the 300 ultramag, (the 30-06 doesnt have any recoil pad, just standard butt plate)

The PAST pad really made a difference spreading out the impact.

thanks again,

mike

I don't have much experience with the muzzlebreak other than hunting with one guy who had one for one year. Good grief that gun sounded like a cannon going off even when he was clear on the other side of the bluff. It is flat out dangerously loud. I wouldn't shoot a single shell out of one without ear protection.

this gun is plenty loud without a brake, even with ear muffs, i couldnt imagine it w/ a brake on