Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EatSleepFish

grasshoppers

2 posts in this topic

glad to say the grasshopper action is in full swing. Caught 5 brookies on my local creek last night with a foam hopper pattern, but had some problems with it. one thing was that the body of the fly would slide on the hook, and i lost ALOT of trout that way. also my fly would land upside down almost every time. i seemed to be doing alright with the fly ridin upside down, but the larger trout probably wont buy into biting a upside down hopper. how do i tie my hopper so it rides upright and stays on the shank properly?

What type of hook are you using? Even though you are creating a "top water" terestrial pattern you may want to consider a heavy wire hook. Maybe even lashing down a length of lead or substitute down the shank for ballast. Foam has a lot of bouyancy and can handle it.

You should always lay a thread base down an the entire hook shank before putting on the foam. I always use superglue when tying my first layer of foam on, it helps hold it all in place. Some say that just using 3 tight wraps and you won't need glue. To me glue is easier because I tend to break thread.