• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting a boat on a trailer

OK guys this may seem pretty novice but I need some advice getting my boat on its trailer properly.

Ive got an 1800 Fisherman (harder to manuver then my SSV 14) and it seems to always be about 2 inches off center and causes the boat to rub on my fender. Its a tight fit on the trailer and have about 2 inchs on both sides before I hit the fenders when its on properly.

So when I go and drive it up on the Shorelander should I have my bunks half submerged, fully submerged?? Do I have a problem with the bunks??confused.gif

Cheers!!

Not sure about the bunks as I have a roller trailer with my 1800 Fisherman. To keep mine centered I make sure that the wheels of my trailer are submerged the same amount. I also had a problem with it loading a bit off centered so I adjusted the boat weight by filling or emptying the live wells. I find that when I pull the boat on with noone in it, it goes on straight if the front live well is full of water and the rear live wells are empty. If I power it on it works best if the front and rear live wells are empty.

I have a roller shorlander. Used to try to load it with the rollers submerged. did not work well. Dealer told me to try to keep the rolers out of the water. Self centering trailer. works much better.

Norco, Here is what I do when putting the boat on the trailer( 17’)

I have a bunk trailer and this is what I do. I have the top of my fenders about 1 inch or so above the water. This has worked for me but at times I'm still off center. One thing that I did do to help with the problem was I put giudes on at the back of the trailer and they help with the centering.

Hope this helps.

Roy

I have a 1850 Sportfish and have the same problem, always to one side. The landing that I use has the concrete blocks if I'm on top of a block it goes on straight if I'm between them it is always to far to the right.

We get some funny looks when we are checking if we are on top or in the hole.

The best think to do is to just play around until you get it on the trailer straight.

Sifty

I have an 1800 fisherman with a bunk trailer. When I load it I have the front of the bunks about 6 inches out of the water. Also make sure to dip the bunks first in the water. And I drive it on and I have yet to have it load crooked. I hope this helps.

I have a 1750 FishHawk on a roller trailer. When it doesn't center I just rock/push the back end a bit (when it's out of the water and on the trailer already) and it's good. Usually doesn't take much effort. Works easiest if I can get the trailer pointed down hill. The other boaters are happier, too (not waiting on me to load).

Norco:

As suggested earlier, the best thing I did was add rear trailer guides. Centers straight pretty much everytime, even in condtions where sides waves are hitting the ramp.

Not very expensive, are adjustable to what width your boat is and helps in backing as you can see the guides to center your trailer down the ramps.

Hope this helps your problem.

Farmer

I have an 1800 Fisherman with a bunk trailer too. I also have guide ons on the trailer and my son tells me I have never touched them when loading. I keep the top of my fenders out of the water and dip the bunks. I also spray my bunks with silicone once in a while. I have noticed that my boat loads a bit to one side due to the kicker. I just turn the outboard and move the stern over to straighten the boat on the trailer before we pull it out of the water.

Elevatorguy has got it right...dip the bunks to get em wet, then make sure the front of the bunks are 6-8 inches out of the water when loading. The bunks should and will self-correct any variances while loading the boat. I drive my boat on everytime this way and have yet to get it wrong. This is my first bunk, and for this very reason, I'm sold. It makes trailering almost too easy...in fact, I almost think my wife could do it! (not that I'm willing to test that theory however.)

Thanks for the advice guys grin.gif I was out last night and took this advice and worked well but it still never got on perfect. I actually measured the distance between the boat and the fenders and its like less then half an inch when properly loaded. I sure don't have alot of room to work with confused.gif Maybe the trailer is a bit small for the boat??

Cheers!!

Do you have a carpeted bunk trailer or a roller trailer (with roller bunks)?

I know you stated bunks in your first post.. but it's pretty difficult for a bunk trailer to not load straight... if the bunks are centered on the trailer to start with your boat should always pretty much load straight...

marine_man

I have an 18 explorer with the shorelander trailer and I have found through trial and error (lots of error), that my boat power loads best with the front set of rollers about half in the water. Run the boat up to the front set and wait a couple of seconds (the trailer seems to center the boat if i'm off a few inches) straighten up with the steering and continue to power up the trailer. My boat has about 1 1/2 inches on each side between boat and trailer fenders.

if you don't have side bunks/guide ons, i would get some! also! take a look at your bunks. do they tilt inward so they settle the boat in the center when you load?( if they are flat, i would adjust them so they do) my best trailer depth in also when there is about an inch of the fenders out of the water.

Yes the bunks are carpeted no rollers. Really sucks when you spend $3000 cnd on a trailer to find the thing needs to be tinkered with.

Cheers!!

most boat loading problems are caused by the trailer being in too deep, or the boat not level when you are motoring up to the trailer. The boat can usually be leveled by filling a livewell, shifting body weight, etc.

Have you measured to make sure the bunks are centered on the trailer and aren't part of the problem?

marine_man