Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Norco

Getting a boat on a trailer

Norco    0
Norco

OK guys this may seem pretty novice but I need some advice getting my boat on its trailer properly.

Ive got an 1800 Fisherman (harder to manuver then my SSV 14) and it seems to always be about 2 inches off center and causes the boat to rub on my fender. Its a tight fit on the trailer and have about 2 inchs on both sides before I hit the fenders when its on properly.

So when I go and drive it up on the Shorelander should I have my bunks half submerged, fully submerged?? Do I have a problem with the bunks??confused.gif

Cheers!!

SteveWilson    1
SteveWilson

Not sure about the bunks as I have a roller trailer with my 1800 Fisherman. To keep mine centered I make sure that the wheels of my trailer are submerged the same amount. I also had a problem with it loading a bit off centered so I adjusted the boat weight by filling or emptying the live wells. I find that when I pull the boat on with noone in it, it goes on straight if the front live well is full of water and the rear live wells are empty. If I power it on it works best if the front and rear live wells are empty.

flyfish    0
flyfish

I have a roller shorlander. Used to try to load it with the rollers submerged. did not work well. Dealer told me to try to keep the rolers out of the water. Self centering trailer. works much better.

STEP & 1/2    0
STEP & 1/2

Norco, Here is what I do when putting the boat on the trailer( 17’)

I have a bunk trailer and this is what I do. I have the top of my fenders about 1 inch or so above the water. This has worked for me but at times I'm still off center. One thing that I did do to help with the problem was I put giudes on at the back of the trailer and they help with the centering.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Sifty    10
Sifty

I have a 1850 Sportfish and have the same problem, always to one side. The landing that I use has the concrete blocks if I'm on top of a block it goes on straight if I'm between them it is always to far to the right.

We get some funny looks when we are checking if we are on top or in the hole.

The best think to do is to just play around until you get it on the trailer straight.

Sifty

elevatorguy    0
elevatorguy

I have an 1800 fisherman with a bunk trailer. When I load it I have the front of the bunks about 6 inches out of the water. Also make sure to dip the bunks first in the water. And I drive it on and I have yet to have it load crooked. I hope this helps.

jtroop    0
jtroop

I have a 1750 FishHawk on a roller trailer. When it doesn't center I just rock/push the back end a bit (when it's out of the water and on the trailer already) and it's good. Usually doesn't take much effort. Works easiest if I can get the trailer pointed down hill. The other boaters are happier, too (not waiting on me to load).

FISHINGFARMER    0
FISHINGFARMER

Norco:

As suggested earlier, the best thing I did was add rear trailer guides. Centers straight pretty much everytime, even in condtions where sides waves are hitting the ramp.

Not very expensive, are adjustable to what width your boat is and helps in backing as you can see the guides to center your trailer down the ramps.

Hope this helps your problem.

Farmer

cold one sd    0
cold one sd

I have an 1800 Fisherman with a bunk trailer too. I also have guide ons on the trailer and my son tells me I have never touched them when loading. I keep the top of my fenders out of the water and dip the bunks. I also spray my bunks with silicone once in a while. I have noticed that my boat loads a bit to one side due to the kicker. I just turn the outboard and move the stern over to straighten the boat on the trailer before we pull it out of the water.

Eckie    0
Eckie

Elevatorguy has got it right...dip the bunks to get em wet, then make sure the front of the bunks are 6-8 inches out of the water when loading. The bunks should and will self-correct any variances while loading the boat. I drive my boat on everytime this way and have yet to get it wrong. This is my first bunk, and for this very reason, I'm sold. It makes trailering almost too easy...in fact, I almost think my wife could do it! (not that I'm willing to test that theory however.)

Norco    0
Norco

Thanks for the advice guys grin.gif I was out last night and took this advice and worked well but it still never got on perfect. I actually measured the distance between the boat and the fenders and its like less then half an inch when properly loaded. I sure don't have alot of room to work with confused.gif Maybe the trailer is a bit small for the boat??

Cheers!!

marine_man    1
marine_man

Do you have a carpeted bunk trailer or a roller trailer (with roller bunks)?

I know you stated bunks in your first post.. but it's pretty difficult for a bunk trailer to not load straight... if the bunks are centered on the trailer to start with your boat should always pretty much load straight...

marine_man

eelpout#1    0
eelpout#1

I have an 18 explorer with the shorelander trailer and I have found through trial and error (lots of error), that my boat power loads best with the front set of rollers about half in the water. Run the boat up to the front set and wait a couple of seconds (the trailer seems to center the boat if i'm off a few inches) straighten up with the steering and continue to power up the trailer. My boat has about 1 1/2 inches on each side between boat and trailer fenders.

delmuts    19
delmuts

if you don't have side bunks/guide ons, i would get some! also! take a look at your bunks. do they tilt inward so they settle the boat in the center when you load?( if they are flat, i would adjust them so they do) my best trailer depth in also when there is about an inch of the fenders out of the water.

Norco    0
Norco

Yes the bunks are carpeted no rollers. Really sucks when you spend $3000 cnd on a trailer to find the thing needs to be tinkered with.

Cheers!!

most boat loading problems are caused by the trailer being in too deep, or the boat not level when you are motoring up to the trailer. The boat can usually be leveled by filling a livewell, shifting body weight, etc.

marine_man    1
marine_man

Have you measured to make sure the bunks are centered on the trailer and aren't part of the problem?

marine_man