• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AMD or Intel

Neiko

Question

Well my laptop quit working and I am looking at a new computer. Don't do a whole lot with it just some surfing, digital pictures and personal document stuff so we don't need to spend alot. $5-600 range. As much as I want another laptop we are looking at Desktops. In this weeks ad they have a Gateway with AMD 64 4000+ with 19 monitor and printer for $659. The wife was looking at a HP with 17 inch and printer with a Intel Pentium 4 processor 524 with HT technology for $569. Which one is better? Is this Pentium 4 524 old technology campared to the AMD?

16 answers to this question

I have experience with both.. and overall I prefer AMD... my 2 cents. A far better overall value for your dollar. (Currently have an AMD 64 3400+ and can't be happier)

I would go with AMD as well. I just like them better, plus you'll really like having the bigger monitor. Both of the systems you list will do what you need them to do. One thing to ask is if they will upgrade the OS to Windows Vista when it comes out (which isn't to far away). If they will great, if they won't, no big deal either.

Neiko, if you have any interest in a laptop I have a used Dell Latitude and docking station I am looking to get rid of, plus more. It's a years old and has 18 months on the warranty. Right in your price range.

zachej1(at)hotmail.com

AMD 64's are completely VISTA ready! smile.gif They are 64 bit processors.. so when Vista comes out.. your CPU will be more powerful than it was with XP.

Yep Sly I have it already wink.gif Sometimes when thenew OS's are close to coming out the OEM's will send you a copy of the new OS for free as it wasn't available when you bought your comp. Probably still to far away for him to get it though.

If yor looking for an inexpensive computer either AMD or Intel will serve you fine. The one thing to consider is your interest in digital photos. If you are just viewing and printing a few pictures, a low end system will be OK. If you plan to do a fair amount of post processing (photoshop), you will want a system with more power. AMD is known more for having better speeds than comparable Intel processors. AMD's are also a bit more expensive, especially with their top of the line processors. I have built systems based on Intel processors and have used several AMD and Intel systems and have never had a problem with either. I suggest sticking with a middle of the road computer from a reputable company. I don't think AMD or Intel will matter as much as having enough memory and deciding whether you need a dedicated graphics card or not.

I have to agree I have both amd 3000+ and a 2.4 ghz HT systems. Intel seems to load windows faster, but AMD seems to run applications smoother. but the best upgrade you can ever do is increase your ram. personally I will not build a machine with less than 512mb of ram. perferably 1gb.

Macintoaster only thing that I would use those for is to keep my pop tarts warm smile.gif

Maybe a boat anchor too, tire chuck, have fun tossing it off my deck, etc etc... hehe jk. I know they are good for something....lol. I prolly just opened pandora's box, hehe. grin.gif

As for the Mac... I know nothing about them so I won't even attempt it. Well I decided to go with the AMD 4000 and I will be setting it up today. I also got the 19 LCD which looked awesome in the store. I think Momma will be pleased. It comes with the XP Media 2005 Edition. Does anyone have this edition and if so how do you like it?

Quote:

AMD 64's are completely VISTA ready!
smile.gif
They are 64 bit processors.. so when Vista comes out.. your CPU will be more powerful than it was with XP.

The processor is ready, and likely the computer is too.

However, for those thinking about an upgrade, Vista is a hog. The Beta version would not load for me until I put in the min recommended 512Mb RAM. Also, it requires pretty good graphics capability if you want the aeroglass effect.

Just to give some idea, there is a computer rating thing in Vista that grades your computer's capabilities. I have it installed on a P3-1.2GHz, 512Mb RAM, 256Mb ATI Radeon graphics, and two 160Gb drives. This computer scores 1 on a 10 scale...

Yeah, I know, should upgrade, but it does what I need it to do.

The media edition is fine. It's meant mostly for dvr, photos and playing movies on the computer. I figured you'd like the 19" monitor better grin.gif

Get all the updates downloaded and installed pronto and have fun with the new system.

I got it set up today and that 19 inch monitor is NICE! I did get all the updates taken care of right away. I did the Automatic Updates and there was a few (30+) is there anymore that I need to worry aout?

Did it come with anti virus software? If it did make sure that is up to date as well. Other than that play with it check out all the software that came with it and don't forget to make your restore disk if it didn't come with one.

It came with 60 day MacAfee but I plan on switching to Norton when it is up. How do you make a restore disk?