Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blue Kayak

Vintage Mercury 9.8 HP needs help

6 posts in this topic

I have an old (maybe 1966) Mercury 110, 9.8 HP, 2 stroke. It had not been run in 20 years, and this summer I got to thinking it might be a good motor for the Minnesota River.

I had it checked out by a Mercury dealer. They checked the compression, replaced the impeller, and lubed the lower unit. I asked them to clean the carb, but they said it was fine. They ran it for a couple of hours at low speed with no problems.

The first three times I took it out there were no problems, other than being a little hard to start. The last time I took it out, it died on me while going at about 3/4 speed. After that it has been very hard to start. When it does start it idles fine in neutral. However, when I shift to forward it goes a short distance and then kills.

I thought perhaps some line had wrapped around the prop, but the prop spins easily in neutral and I don't see any line hanging from the prop.

I hope some of you more experienced boaters have some ideas.

Thanks,

What have you been mixing the gas with 50 to 1? With a motor that old it probably should be 24 to 1 for the first couple of gallons. I would look at the fuel pump. After that many years the diaphram is probably all dried up. I would also test spark in each cylinder and then recheck the carb. If the diaphram in the fuel pump broke down chances are a lot of it is in the float bowl of the carburator.

I agree with eurolarva, I cannot believe a mechanic didn't do all he said, knowing it wasn't ran in 20 years. God only knows what could be going wrong.

Also check all the fuel lines, fuel connector, etc. after that many years they are probably "cooked" and will disintegrate very easily, plugging your carb.

Thanks Eurolarva and Valv. It looks like I have some work to do. Valv -- I've been enjoying that depth finder you sold me.

Check the fuel system for a restriction. Look closely at your tank and see if there's rust inside. It will plug everything up and you will see the problem when the engine demands fuel as in open throttle load situations.

The fact that the dealer had it running well and now the problem shows up indicates that something changed once you had it on the boat. Dirty fuel is a prime suspect.

Thanks for the tip Hydro. I did put a new line and bulb on the old tank. The dealer looked at the tank and said it was okay. But, it was kind of a quick look. I'll drain the gas and look more carefully.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Rube
      Spent a few hours on Skogman yesterday. (3:00 to 6:30)  Most of the time the vexlar was so lit up that you couldn't see the lure. Bad news is that they were very small sunnies and crappies. Fished in the area of the cluster of ice houses in  24  ft water. No fish kept this time out. Good ice but getting a little sloppy.
    • SaintPaulPaul
      Another Spring-like day on Thursday. I got skunked but my buddy landed a couple of nice ones. C & R.
    • Rhino26
      Very true! Cenaiko Lake had at least 100 houses on it at 7 in the morning on Saturday and it is only a 28 acres. It is absolutely packed with fish though. 
    • SaintPaulPaul
      Even in the metro the little bit of snow pack is insulating the ice pretty well so far. I've been out 3 days in a row and haven't noticed any significant melting. The forecasted rain for the next few days will probably change things a little.
    • leech~~
      Well I started! Read bottom up. I say start emailing and bugging Joe Stewing at the DNR. And I still think Joe is wrong. fishing licenses and Trout stamps are still a tax to fish.   Hi Steve, Actually, MN has the second most native Lake Trout Lakes (116 lakes) in the country only behind Alaska. Most of which are up in the NE part of the state. We have not tried stocking Lake Trout in Big Watab due to its size (245 acres) and available habitat and forage.  We already stock Rainbow and Brown Trout and have had good success creating that fishery. Stocking another predator in a small system like this wouldn’t make sense and would likely hinder the success of our trout stocking. Big Trout Lake in Crow Wing County, while similar in depth, is much larger (1,400 acres) and has far more habitat available for Lake Trout as well as tullibee and whitefish are present which are good forage species for Lake trout. As far as stopping guiding for Trout on the lake, I don’t think that is a big issue. Guides/anglers still have to abide by the rules and regulations.  To be honest, there is really no need to protect these trout. Big Watab Lake is a put-grow-and-take fishery with a limited number of carry-over fish so as a manager I would rather see these fish get harvested and taken home.  It would be one thing if we were trying to produce a self-sustaining population of trout, but we aren’t.  We stock the lake annually with 10,000 Rainbow and 2,000 Brown Trout which are paid for through fishing license and Trout stamp sales and not tax money. Our last creel survey indicated that 81% of the anglers were seeking trout. I hope this answered your questions. Sincerely, Joe Stewig Area Fisheries Manager | Fish & Wildlife Minnesota Department of Natural Resources 1035 South Benton Drive Sauk Rapids, MN, 56379 Phone: 320-223-7867 Fax: 320-255-3999 Email: joe.stewig@state.mn.us Area website: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/saukrapids/index.html State website:mndnr.gov     From:
      Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:48 PM
      To: *Info (DNR) <info.dnr@state.mn.us>
      Subject: Big Watab lake-stocking   Question: Has the DNR ever thought about stocking Lake Trout in Big Watab lake by Avon MN, ?   It seems to have some pretty good depth and the Rainbows are doing well there. Although a smaller lake it is only about 5 feet shallower then Big Trout lake up by Cross lake MN which Lake Trout are stocked in to. It would really be nice to get some more Lake Trout lakes in this state. Also, I know there are people who Guide for rainbow on Big Watab lake as I had seen their ads on craigslist in the past. They boast about limits every time out.  Can something be done to stop this practice? It seems odd to use tax money to stock the lake just to let a few people profit off it by taking so many stocked fish out for their own gain! Thanks for your reply. Steve A