Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Down to Earth

Powerbait help needed

16 posts in this topic

I'm heading up to Lac Seul on Sunday and need some help. If anyone has any 3" or 4" Powerbait Grubs in colors White or Pearl and you'd be interested in selling them let me know. Everywhere in town is out of stock for the past couple weeks. I'd order from Berkley directly, but don't want to chance they not come in on time as I don't know how they ship. I may need to make a trip over to Cabelas if need be.

Shoot me an email at wilhorn@charter.net if you can help.

Thanks.

The grubs have a minnow head with a twister tail.. right? or are you talking about the Powerbait power minnows? or something different.

FYI: From my experiences, plastics work best in colder water. As the water temp gets above 50+ degrees, I like to hang some live meat out there.

i do have half a package left but if you want to drive all the way to winona you can find them at fleet farm at least last week you could.

Sent you an email. If that falls through let me know I may have some other ideas for you too.

You should do quite well on plastics up there. I far outfished crawlers and frozen minnows on 2 July fly-ins to NW Ontario.

Uffda,

ever get info on the border for me?

I too am hitting LAc Seul on a fly-in, but not until next Spring. I'll have to pick your brain on plastics as well.

Jim

Tyler,

I don't think they necessarily have a minnow head. It's just their standard PowerGrub.

Uffdapete,

Read your email this morning. I'll check and see what the travel schedule is. I also checked with my dad and sounds like he had been able to pick some up as well.

I did stock up with some Lindy Muchie Grubs as I have seen people fish them with good success up on Lac Seul. I got a couple other things to try as well. Really looking forward to the trip as I've never fished Lac Seul before, but everyone I've told that I'm going up there for a week say I won't be disappointed. Less than a week away. Can't wait.

Andy

I have a ton of Gulp bait in the 3 inch minnow including an unopened pearl white pack of 20. Not sure if that is close enough or if you need the exact thing.

-Penguin

Its white 3 inch berkley gulp minnows that you want. The last two years I have been to Lac Suel the white gulp minnow outfished live bait and are much easier to deal with. Try stopping somewhere in the cities on the way up if you can't find any in Roch.

Great first post Catmaster! Welcome to FM. Thanks for helping out with the tip!

Jim - I emailed you the info/phone no. after you reminded me. Just emailed you some more info - reply to let me know you received it. I was having intermitent cable trouble for a couple months so the original could have ended up in cyberspace.

Quote:

Its white 3 inch berkley gulp minnows that you want. The last two years I have been to Lac Suel the white gulp minnow outfished live bait and are much easier to deal with.

Exactly!!

They imitate the smelt that walleyes feed on up here in the Canadian shield lakes. Don't overlook the X-10 Raps in "glass ghost" also.

If you are driving up there the Gander in Lakeville usually has a ton of them. The Mills Fleet farm right across the road has all the exude products you'll want as well. Both are right off the hwy 50 exit and a little north up the frontage roads. Also the Gander Mtn store has (had?) a ton of stuff on clearance as well.

you gotta love FM. Andy posts that he needs help trying to find some powerbait before his big trip and he gets a dozen posts with everyone offering to give him their powerbait. You can't ask for a better group! you guys would give the shirt off your back if one of us asked for it. kudos to you all! smile.gif

Yep, FM is a great place to be. I've talked to my dad as well, and it sounds like he was able to find plenty, so we should be well stocked to combat the Lac Seul walleyes. Pretty much a trip of a lifetime for me, especially since I wouldn't consider myself a diehard walleye guy. Leaving on Sunday and won't be back for a week. I'll let you guys know how we did upon return.

P.S. Don't catch all the White Bass out of Zumbro while I'm gone. laugh.gif

Andy

If ya don't mind...curious what area on Lac Seul you heading to?

You should have no problem catching fish..once you find them.

Have fun

Jim,

If I knew I'd tell you right now. I've glanced at the general area on a map the last time I was over to Wisconsin about a month and a half ago, but that has been about it. I'm not familiar with the area at all. We are heading up with a group of guys from my dad's church. I'll be able to give better details of everything upon my return.