Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Franchiz

Otter Stealth 1200/2000 Kayak?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone used the Otter Outdoors Stealth 2000 Kayak? I was thinking of selling my 12 foot jon boat and replacing it with one of these (they claim to be pretty steady). Any comments?

i have one and i went from a 10' alumacraft jon that was fairly deep and stable. The 2000 floats in little or no water and is very very stable...i am 200lbs and i can climb in and pull myself in the boat from any point and it doesnt tip in the least. The dog deck is nice on the front but one bad thing about that is the handle on the front is the perfect size for you dogs leg to go through if (when) they slip off the front. I was in front of my boat picking up decoys and my lab's front paw sliped on the plastic and went into the gap in the handle and she flipped over and i luckly caught her and put here back in. That would have snapped her leg in half if she went all the way over. I am going to make a cover for that. Other wise the dry storage is nice! it stays dry and never gets wet no matter what. I bought some kayak paddles to get around in the wma's and it works the best if you are on your knees in the middle of the boat and it goes pretty good and straight. there is plenty of room for 2 guys and a dog,,i have done it many times. I have to make a blind for the thing though, no way i am going to buy the $400+ otter blind that only covers the front of the boat. Another thing is the 2000 is heavy it is NOT the 100lbs as advertised, try 200lbs. Otherwise i am very happy with it and it is a very good boat.

good- stable, wide, roomy, lots of storage, good seat for driver, quiet.

bad- cannot use oars, heavy, dog platform issue, adaptibilty of a blind on boat (cannot drill into it, foam filled pvc). and again HEAVY.

I also have the trolling motor adapter for it, i have a 44lb minnkota waterfowler trolling motor for it, it goes pretty good. kinda of a waste of money unless you got somewhere you can use the trolling motor, but all public know of that is decent for hunting there is a no motor rule.

If you get one let me know, maybe we can work together to design a blind for it, i have some ideas.

hope this helps,

Jason

Very good, detailed review. Thank you very much.

Next question: Where is the best place to pick one up?

My 1200 is cool.

Its not heavy...

Lift weights?

Very stable..

I got lucky and scored one on ebay from a guy down in nicollet. They have some at gander in lakeville, i bet you they would move a little on their price, they have had them there forever. You can get them online at macks prairie wings.

yeah the point is, it is not 100lbs. I have the 2000 it is more...HEAVY.