Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjigger

kicker motor mounting

6 posts in this topic

I just bought a kicker motor for my boat. Used it for the first time this past weekend. I mounted it directly onto the transom. It seems like it sits kind of low in the water. Sometimes in bigger waves the exhaust would actually go under the water. Will this damage the motor? How could I get the motor mounted higher?

If it is a small motor you can buy an adjustable kicker bracket the will give you different height adjustments. I think the they will vary from 8 to about 15 inches. They are listed in the cabalas and I'm sure others catalog. Is it a long or short shaft motor?

What ever you do our going to want the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull when the kicker is being used. Water coming up to the exhaust once in a while running isn't a problem. You don't want that happening while not running so the kicker should either be tilted up or as TTF suggested an mount that will raise the kicker up when not in use.

thanks guys, I guess I will just have to monitor how often it goes under the water. I have a crestliner 182 Tournament series, The boat sits a little lower in the water, kind of similar to a Pro-V. The cavitation plate? is that the plate just above the prop, that helps it plane out?

yep, its the plate above the prop.

I had a kicker motor on an aluminum boat with a low transom. I put a 2x2 on top of the transom, the motor bracket rested on it and the clamps still grabbed the transom. And I bolted it through the transom too.