Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spinner1

Must Have Flies for Trout and Panfish?

8 posts in this topic

First, thanks for all the help so far guys. I have assembled most of what I need to get started. Now I need some bait. This new fly fisherman is overwhelmed by the selection of dry flies, poppers, nymphs, streamers etc. I would like to put a starter kit together for midwest stream trout (mostly stocked), and panfish. A top ten variety that works most of the season. I would like to get a few of the "must haves", and not so many that I can't buy quality flies. Problem is I can't get to a real fly shop right away. I know that is the best answer. I am going to have to order the first few online. I am finally returning from a year long Middle East military tour next month, and I want to hit the local IA streams right away, and try out my new obsession. I have zero flies right now. I will head up to MN the next month, then I will hit a real fly shop, and try to do this right. Starter books are ordered. Getting a magazine soon as well.

As far as trout flies go, you don't really need all that many patterns to be consistently successful. My advice would be to use generic patterns to imitate spring and early summer hatches, like a Usual or Klinkhammer in sizes 12 to 16. Have a couple #18 bwo patterns too, paras or charcoal thorax duns work well. Elk-hair caddis is usually fine for caddis hatches. Those are my dryfly reccomendations.

In early summer, the wet-fly swing can really produce so I would suggest you give it a shot next year if you remember. Klinkhammers and Usuals are low-riding dry fly patterns that can also be swung wet, then pop back up to the surface dry again. That's why I suggested those particular patterns. Or you could use soft-hackles or true wets.

As for nymphs, I would have #10 or 12 and #16 Pheasant Tail nymphs, Copper Johns, Scuds in grey and olive, and a Lafontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa. Maybe a Pink Squirrel or a Hare's Ear. Learn to use an Indicator rig.

Clousers, Sculpins and Wooly Buggers will fill the bill for streamers.

For Panfish, I would reccomend the Mcginty wet, a #10 black wooly worm, and a rust-colored wet. These are for subsurface work. Get some foam spiders for topwater use, and maybe a small cork-bodied popper.

Good luck on your endeavor, and congratulations on your return home. I would be willing to send you some of my personal best trout and sunfish flies if you would like. E-mail me a mailing address and I'd be more than happy to send a couple dozen flies to you. Esoxii@aol.com.

~hogsucker

Kind of you to offer flies Hogsucker. I emailed you. It certainly wasn't my intent to mooch tackle here though. Just trying to form my "My Have" list.

I guess the natural follow-on question would be where does everyone suggest I mail-order/internet order flies? Who's got a good REP for quality flies?

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Spinner1, I didn't recieve an email yet. Don't feel weird about accepting my flies, I just like to help out anglers new to the flyfishing arena. I tie tons of flies and sell them on occasion as well. A free selection for anyone returning from thier service in Iraq is the least I can do! ~hogsucker

~hogsucker

Hogsucker

Fair enough. Sometimes email isn't too reliable getting through the server. I'll try again, and I'll temporarily post my email here. I am going to use the address fenders53 (at) yahoo(dot)com You can hit me with email if you'd like.

And thanks again. I know this war is getting less popular by the day, but you'd never know it from the way we are treated. There is little we want for here, because somebody from back home already sent a box of it.

#12 green flash back. For Gills, if it's yellow use it.

Favorite subsurface:

Beadhead pheasant (flashback optional), size 16 is my "go-to" fly. Some of my other favorite nymphs include some western favorites from my Colorado days, including chartruse Copper Johns, and copper and red brassies.