Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TUMBLEWEED

Chevy Colorado Question?

14 posts in this topic

Due to the fuel cost thing, I am considering

one of these for a tow vehicle. I am thinking about

one of the five cylinder models. They say the towing

capacity is 4000 pounds.My 1850 SportFish,trailer,

150 Opti, and 9.9 Pro kicker come in at 2867 pounds

fuel included. I have surge brakes on the trailer,

so I that should be okay. Does anyone have a Colorado

they use for towing the boat?? Anyone have some

input for me?? Thanks..

Don't get a Colorado if you want to tow.

Your fuel milage won't be any better then a V-8, empty or towing.

As a matter of fact, you'll struggle so bad to tow with that worthless engine, that you will get about 9-10 mpg.

I am a Gm guy all the way, but these trucks are severely underpowered.

Go test drive one on a 95 degree day with the A/C on and see that you will have a 0-60 of about 19 seconds max. Hook onto a boat...What a joke.

Quote:

As a matter of fact, you'll struggle so bad to tow with that worthless engine, that you will get about 9-10 mpg.

Holy cow, have you experienced this? That seems really really bad.

Yep.

Do they still have the 4.3 available like they had in the S-10 series?

Not sure why Chevy switched motors anyway, that 4.3 was the best (Contact Us Please) motor ever made IMO

I get that now with my 89 GMC Suburban!!

Ahh the 4.3 litre, or as I like to call it the money maker!! grin.gif Lets see Intake gaskets, CPI units, fuel pressure regulators, EGR problems, The infamous #5 spark plug, oil cooler lines, oil leaking in general, a/c compressors, and don't even get me started with the front end and drive train problems with the pickup and blazer.

I'm sorry it has gone myself but for an entirely different reason than you have! grin.gif

As far as the Colorado for towing. I also think you would be better off with a full size and a v-8. The biggest thing I have noticed from switching to a full size truck is no more four wheel drive to pull the boat out of the water (on the really steep launches) otherwise the mileage difference was insugnifficant. If I remeber right I was getting 17 with the Tacoma and I get 15 with the Tundra. A 200 mile trip will result in the grand total extra gallon of gas ($2.90) that I will use towing the boat with a full size truck with a V-8 that can not only get up and go but can also stop the extra load when I need to!! Hardly seems worth towing with the bare minumum to try and save a couple bucks!!

Tumbleweed - Just a few things to consider when making your decision:

> You have a pretty good-sized boat. If you rarely tow, the Colorado might get you buy for those handful of times, but overall it is not even close to being an adequate tow vehicle for your boat. I don't own one, but the biggest issue I have heard is that they are underpowered.

> If you tow <20 miles one way usually to your lake of choice then a V6 might be the way to go (4.0 SOHC V6 in the Explorer, the Six in the Trailblazer, etc.

> If you tow long distances and fairly often it may make sense to go up to a V8 vehicle like a 4Runner for example.

> If the mideast truce holds, oil prices should fall. After Labor Day oil prices should come down again, too. The hurricane season has been quiet so far, but who knows how that might impact prices. Overall, I think we'll see prices drop a bit so your savings may not be as big as first thought.

> Finally, if you buy a $10,000 vehicle you're going to pay $650 in tax on the vehicle plus other potential costs. You might want to do the numbers to make sure it makes financial sense to change vehicles.

DB

I ave owned a 2000 Blazer zr2 and I now own a 2005 colorado. Whan I traded in the blazer it had over 100000 miles on it. The only problem i had was a faulty o2 sensor and a minor oil leak in the oil pan, no big deal. I now own the colorado, its going on 30000 miles and zero problems (knock on wood). The colorado tows my 16 foot boat much easier than the blazer 6 cyl., a little easier on gas, I get about 21 mpg going back and forth to work, and about 15 towing. I am glad I made the decision to trade up. I just had to speak up and defend the colorado and blazer. i do admit your boat is a little big for it but it is a nice little truck.

you also need to consider what strain you might put on the transmission and rear end (differential) while towing a boat of that caliber. In my opinion, you should tow with a full size truck if you need surge brakes. Keep in mind that the manufacturers will throw a lot of numbers out of what a vehicle CAN do. Whether or not the vehicle does it efficiently is a different story altogether. Don't disappoint yourself- get a truck designed to be a TRUCK, not a car with a bed on it!

Quote:

Don't disappoint yourself- get a truck designed to be a TRUCK, not a car with a bed on it!

I think that was a shot at little trucks shocked.gif

Too bad they don't bring back the El Camino. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Quote:

Too bad they don't bring back the El Camino. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

They now call them half tons. Real trucks have at least 8 lug nuts on each wheel! grin.gif

Well, I am no closer to any decision for a newer,better

fuel rating tow vehicle!! The ole burb is still kicking

at 152K miles now. I will throw in a tune up and call it

good for now anyway. I thought that straight 5 cylinder

would be enough...maybe a six would be better??????