• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ranger 619 VS

Whopper Stopper

Went Musky fishing on Mille Lacs a couple of times this year and was pretty impressed with the Ranger boats and their ability to handle rough water. I have a Alumacraft Navigator 175 with a 115 Yamaha on it and we had all we could do to crawl around the deck trying to get up onto our pedestals to cast. I have since been looking at Ranger 619 VS with a 200 Yamaha 4 stroke on it and think it would fill the ticket for me. A couple of questions I have are…….Do the dealers do much in terms of dickering? Is it better to check out a couple of different Ranger dealers, or are the prices of new Rangers pretty well locked in. In the case of the 619 VS is the 200 Yamaha enough engine? Do most use casting decks on there boats or in rough water is it better without them? I have only fished big water a few times so I have very little experience with it however I want a boat that will allow me as much luxury as can be expected while in the bigger blasting waves. Any comments on the 619 will be appreciated as well as any other suggestions or input! Thanks in advance………

WS

i have never been in a ranger. i own a '05 warrior 1890 w/115 optimax. i have no idea what the difference in price is. rangers have been out on mille lacs when i have in some pretty big wind, so im sure they can handle it. i wouldnt own one thought! the people i talked to at the dealer were snobbish...turned me off. i already had my mind set on a warrior. in my opinion, its the most seaworthy 18' boat made.

checked it out... the ranger 619VS is comperable to a warrior V193 SC Eagle. here are some important differences:

transom height - ranger 22-1/2", warrior 30"

beam - ranger 92", warrior 97"

horsepower rating - ranger 200, warrior 225

length is the same.

the rest is fluff!

regards,

minnesotatuff

The ranger 619vs is a good boat.A 200hp is the biggest motor you can put on it though.As far as deals go the prices on them are pretty much the same,with some dealerships they will throw in a fishing package like rods and reels or a recreation pkg of kneeboards, skis etc.Ask around though cause the rigging and warranty work on boats counts as much as the deal you can get.

Im sure there has been discussion in past posts on this subject.I would look through the archives of fm for such topics,also talk to folks who own the boats but dont have ties with the the boat companies or dealerships themselves.Good luck on your purchase.

A good friend of mine has the 619 with the 200 Yamamha, very nice boat, just fished walleyes and does not have the casting deck. I like the boat, so does he, but he wants to get the 620 because the 19 can ride a bit rough on bigger chop. Even so it's a hell of a boat.

The Rangers, as well as some of the other glass boats are very nice boats. But really, they are no comparison to the Triton glass line. I have a Triton 215X. I decided to get one, when I was out in a friend's Ranger 620 one morning, pounding trough the waves, when a 215X blew past us, with the passenger calmly sipping on his cup of coffee. It was all I could do to keep my rear on the seat, and my feet planted on the floor! Just my two cents if you're going to spend that kind of money. Good LucK!

Well, I had to wade into this one. Just bought a 2006 Lund Baron. Talk about handling rough water. I have never been wet in it yet even with four and five footers on mille lacs. My next door neighbor owned one and went to a Ranger 621 VS and says there is no comparison. He misses his old Baron. They can be barges to steer sometimes with the top up and wind but great big water boats which is why you find them in droves on Superior and Michigan for fish guides and launches.

wwhopper stopper I personally think the 619 vs is a awesome boat!I've fished many time with my buddy on milelaces in his 619 vs and found the ride and handling to be smooth.I own a ranger 175vs bass boat and will never by anything else! They truely are a legend built one at a time! good luck. wink.gif

I currently have a 619 with a 200 Yamaha, great boat, speed, and put together better than any other boat I've had, but.... the ride doesn't compare to a Tuffy. I've had a Tuffy, Warrior, Lund, and Ranger. Based on just the ride it's Tuffy then Ranger/Warrior and a long ways back to Lund.

Well if you have only fished big water a few times, your exact words why would you buy a boat with a 200 hp and a bass boat on top of it. Ranger boats are bass boats no matter how much the guys buying them that fish other species want to believe. Buy a boat that will fit your needs the most, as far as, where you fish. It's great to have a big boat but if you fish big water a few times is it worth it. Plus if you got a big boat you better have the means to haul it. Another thing think of all the lakes you fish and there landings. Will the boat you buy be able to land there. Also big boats are harder to land by oneself. Do you fish by your self or with others. Things to consider. Buy your boat with common sense.

[Note from admin: This post edited - Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you]

Quote:

Ranger boats are bass boats no matter how much the guys buying them that fish other species want to believe.

Huh? Come again?

confused.gif

I run a 619 dvs and it is by no means a bass boat! I dont get that comment either confused.gif??

Aggresivewear...I think I know where your coming from,but I dont get your point.I fish from a 17.5 foot tiller and can cover some pretty big water with it.I do have limits as to how much big water I can fish,and when it gets that bad there arent to many other rigs that can effectivly fish either.However these other boats with their xtra length and bigger motors,do have an advantage in their ability to cover water and offer a smoother and dryer ride.I agree with the middle of your post,but thats about it.

The guys on this forum are just giving their opinions based on their experiences with their boats or others they have been in.I dont see why you have to bash a brand of boat or the people that own them.

Quote:

Well if you have only fished big water a few times, your exact words why would you buy a boat with a 200 hp and a bass boat on top of it. Ranger boats are bass boats no matter how much the guys buying them that fish other species want to believe. Buy a boat that will fit your needs the most, as far as, where you fish. It's great to have a big boat but if you fish big water a few times is it worth it. Plus if you got a big boat you better have the means to haul it. Another thing think of all the lakes you fish and there landings. Will the boat you buy be able to land there. Also big boats are harder to land by oneself. Do you fish by your self or with others. Things to consider. Buy your boat with common sense.

I would strongly suggest that you do some research before posting again. Ranger makes some of the best walleye boats on the market arguable the best boat on the market for rough water. Ranger has many more models than just bass boat.

I saw the new Triton and man what a boat. I would seriously consider it if I buy a new "Glass" boat.

aggressivewear, Just wished he owned a Ranger. I think he is Just jealous, Probably owns a SmokerCraft or something.

How are the Tuffy boats? I am considering one and just looking for some feedback. Are they comparable in performance and price to ranger or warriors?

Best performance boat out there. Will probably be my next boat after a few more years of beating on the Ranger. Although I told my wife I wouldn't need another boat for at least 10 years when I got the Ranger 2 yrs ago.

Triton actually took their 23 ft. Bay Boat and took 1.5 ft. off it to create the 215X. Deep Vee, but fast. You don't see that often. I have a 250 Optimax and can hit 65+ mph on calm water. (Why no officer, you must have me confused with someone else in a Triton). The boat was specifically designed and tweaked by Triton's walleye pros on the PWT. It's even great for an old back troller like me. They are a bit more expensive than a Ranger, but look for one a couple years old on some of the Walley internet sites and you'll save thousands. And by the way, it's NOT a Bass Boat.

Quote:

aggressivewear, Just wished he owned a Ranger. I think he is Just jealous, Probably owns a SmokerCraft or something.

Are you saying that a smoker Craft is junk?? I own one and fish Mille, Winnie and Superior all the time! 4 footers and all!~!!!

I just picked up a Trition 189 Tiller with a 115 yami 4 stroke, and love it. It may be a little under powered as it is a heavy boat, but it rides great and cuts through chop nicely. I had it out in 30mph winds and had no problem staying on top of fish while backtrolling with the electric and jigging. I also had no problem running full speed throught the 3 foot rollers! I wasn't fishing Mille Lacs, but I wouldn't be afraid to fish with it on a windy day out there. One thing about the glass boats are that they sit a little lower in the water and they are heavier, which makes them less prone to being blown around like the aluminums. There is though, no comparison in ride, the glass wins hands down. Whether you get a Ranger, Triton, Stratos, Tuffy, Warrior, or whatever other glass boats they make, you will like it. Just make sure you look at all the other brands and not just one of them, you may find something else you like. I have heard that the Rangers handle bigger water better, but the Tritons have a faster hull. Have fun shopping.

I would also like to add one other point... resale value on any boat you buy. Obviously, boats depreciate as soon as you take it off the showroom floor but it is a matter of which boats hold their value longer. I currently own a Ranger 619 and I feel it holds its value better than most but I would look at the Triton fiberglas and another Ranger boat if I was going to buy a new boat. Probably go with a Ranger but I would look at both.

I just saw Ted Takasaki up at Lake of the Woods last weekend and he had a Ranger 621. If a Ranger is good enough for him, it is probably good enough for me, and most of the other walleye fishermen out there.

Pegleg... wait til you see the 07 ranger 619,they have redesigned it,kinda like they did the 620 in 06.Probably a little longer and wider,you can put a 225 on it now.

Croixeyes, heard Frankies is showing a new '07 Ranger at the State Fair and it is a very good looking boat... Might have to check it out sooner than I thought and get out to the fair or up to Frankies after Labor Day. Thanks for the heads up....

Yea thats the one,I had a look last week at it.They also have two new models coming out called the angler series.These boats appear similar to the Reata,kind of family fishing cross breed.Looks like plenty of room in them.