Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan L

Big Lake

16 posts in this topic

I am thinking of trying Big lake in September. How is this lake as a overall fishery? We like to fish pike, walleyes and bass. Also we like to fish the weeds. Does this lake have alot of weedbeds?

If you like to fish the weeds, you're going to a decent lake! The cabbage is a bit down this year, but you'll still find a lot of it, as well as some coontail and a ton of bullrushes.

The lake is a fun multi-species fishery, good panfishing, walleye fishing, and the pike and bass can be productive as well!

Good luck!

We are thinking of coming up September 23rd. for 4 days. Will the weeds still be there or are they starting to die off? Also how has the walleye bite been on Big lake? Thanks

They'll still be there. They won't die off until mid to late winter when the shorter days coupled with the snow cover all but blocks the life supporting light.

How is the water level on Big?

Extremely low. I haven't been back there in about 10 days. The last time I was there my boat got hung up at the launch and I had to get out and push. That time and the time before my sonar transducer got pushed out of whack when I launched. No rain since then, so I imagine it's worse now.

Was out there last week and it was only 1 ft deep at the end of the dock. I would be very careful if you have a big boat. You may have to back in to about the end of the dock to get it off. I was at the old Conway Resort and they had sand bars out of the water for the first 12 ft out. They said they have not seen this in about 15 years. The kids sure had a good time running from sand bar to sand bar! grin.gif

In addition to the forementioned, the concrete bars in the ramp are out of alignment. There are a couple of high spots on the right side and the bars have separated on the left side so that there is a gap your trailer tire falls into - a real roller coaster effect. I contacted the DNR and they said it is a USFS maintained launch, so I then contacted the USFS. If anyone has been there recently, has it been fixed?

Woodman: Have a question for you under the deer hunting thread about area 167.

Otter, that issue out there has been ongoing all year. They were out there this Spring working on it, and it didn't seem to get any better!

Hopefully it's fixed now, or soon!

Quote:

Otter, that issue out there has been ongoing all year. They were out there this Spring working on it, and it didn't seem to get any better!

Hopefully it's fixed now, or soon!

I know they did work on it earlier, but they didn't do a very good job. I put up with it all year, but with the lack of rain it got to the point where I had to get on somebody's case about it. With the water as low as it is, now would be an ideal time for them to fix any ramps that need repair. The guy I talked to at the DNR said that he has forwarded numerous complaints on that ramp to the USFS, so maybe they will eventually, or already have, fixed it. My dog has been ill, so I haven't been there since I called. If it is still not fixed, the person to call is Nancy Salminen at the Blackduck USFS, 835-3116.

It wasn't fixed 2 weeks ago, and I talked to a guy that was there on Sunday and it was the same way.

I phoned in and complained over 10 days ago. Dollar to a donut, if they plan on doing anything at all it will probably be when they pull the dock for the winter.

If they haven't done it now, it won't happen until Spring. Why work on it in the Fall when it will just get busted up with ice heaves? They should take care of it when they put the dock back out.

We launched there last Friday (10/6). The water is still pretty shallow... somewhere between 1 and 2 feet. The concrete bars on the ramp itself are still out of alignment... so backing out and pulling out of the launch was pretty bumpy. But, we got in and out without too much problem. Helps that we were in a shallow hulled 18 ft Nitro though. I could see it being a little more problematic with a more typical big water boat.

Musky fishing on the lake was tough, by the way. Caught a few pike, but no action from the 'skis at all. confused.gif Tough week for muskies in general.

Quote:

If they haven't done it now, it won't happen until Spring. Why work on it in the Fall when it will just get busted up with ice heaves? They should take care of it when they put the dock back out.

Supposedly they "fixed" it LAST Spring. It was bad to begin with because they didn't do it right - and it got worse. People have been complaining all year, and it was so bad it was downright dangerous. I saw one old guy almost lose his boat off the trailer - on his wife who was holding the rope. With the water as low as it has been, this summer would have been the ideal time to get it right.