• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another Car/Trailer Light Problem

chief

Question

If I recently forgot to unplug my trailer lights prior to launch, would that explain a blown relay switch that killed my car's brake lights?

Has this happened to any one else? I've trailered this exact same rig (and exact same electrical components) for over three years with no problems whatsoever. But this has happened twice in the last six weeks. Would anything else cause my car's brake lights to fail? Thanks.

2 answers to this question

After you fix it disconnect the trailer when putting it in the lake and wait till after you have the boat trailered and all your stuff ready for travel after you reconnect the trailer power. Some towing packages have separate fuses for the trailer so that it will not affect the towing vehicle. If disconnecting helps it is probably time to replace with sealed or LED tail lights.

Maybe when you replaced the old relay switch the new one was under sized for your rig?? If the set up is under sized the signal indicator will blink faster than ususal when hooked up.