• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trolling Cranks

I'm a rookie at this and I'm looking for some help. What equipment do I need. Rod, line, speeds, cranks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Dock Boy,

I troll cranks a lot. I run a 6'6" MH fenwick caster with a garcia 5600 reel. I usually run 14 lb. Trilene tough line on the spool, Occasionally I run 10 lb. fireline and that works too.

I run out anywhere from 80' to 200' depening on the depth that I want to reach, longer the line the deeper the rap will dive, however around 200' a plateau occurs where the rap will not dive any deeper. The secrets to trolling book, found and most baitshops is really helpful to understanding the behavior of cranks.

I usually run at speeds of 1.7 to as fast as 2.3 miles per hour. This is basically adjusting to their temper/mood for the day. If the pressure is in the 29 range or if it is falling they will ususally be more apt to chase, in my experience.

I prefer to run reef runners. Their lures have a great action, dive quick, and come in a variety of colors that match forage in many lakes. On rainy I prefer the emerald shiner, or the golden shiner, but patterns such as rainbow and firetiger work real well also. I go with the bigger reef runners, thee ones that say "can be trolled to 28 feet" because I am usually trolling in depths ranging around 30-34 feet. With 180 feet of line out I can hit bottom at 32 feet. Don't overlook the new rapala taildancer, deep runner. They dive a little deeper than the reefrunners and a lot of guides up here prefer them.

Hope this helps to get you started. Trolling s great way to catch walleyes during the summer months. I like the fact that all the fish caught are nice sized.

Have fun and good luck!

Thanks a bunch. Everyone with suggestions are very helpful. I will look in the cabela's mag and buy the right equipment for the job. I go on vacation alot when the kids can swim. Which is usually not primetime for eyes and I think this might be the ticket when livebait just an't doing the trick. Thanks alot for your help.

I troll cranks almost exclusively. I aggree with everything Tearing Lips says. I use 12LB mono on a garcia spool reel. I like to use a in line swivel type weight on the end of the line and a four foot 8LB mono leader. I use one or two, 1 OZ weights depending on the depth I need. Using the weight allows me to get down without running out so much line, and makes it easier to stay in a tight pattern. Usually use a number seven deep running Shadrap, and the best color seems to be grey with white bottom and red markings. Good luck

The new Reefrunner rip shads are becoming one of my favs as well. Pretty quick diving and when the fish want something a little smaller they work great. 120' back with 2-10 Power Pro I can get them down about 19' or so depending on speed of course. A snap wight or slip weight held onto the line with a thin rubber band works great. Lots of guys are running these off of leadcore " secret weapon" rigs with good success.

We will be up tomorrow threw Thurs and Ill post how this works.

Those weights I am dragging are 1 OZ, not 1 LB, Sorry about that I edited the post.

Hello Guys I really appreciate the help. I have went out and bought everything I need. I will be fishing Rainy, Namakan, and Kabetogama. Can you guys let me know what are some of your favorate cranks to run. One's I should absolutely have in the tackle box when I head out. Thanks in advance guys

Does anyone use power pro line alot. What advantages does it have and what size should I get if I want to fish 28 to 34 ft of water.

When you guys are trolling cranks and you get a hit. Do you idle back your speed or do you keep going the same speed.

I generally idle back once somebody thinks they have a fish on, and then if they still feel the fish, everybody else reels in and I put the kicker in neutral. This allows them to feel the fish, without the drag from the boat, and lessens the possibility of a line in the prop when we net the fish. This can slow down your fishing, but since when cranking, usually you get larger fish, I think it is worth it.

I also place the boat in idle and if someone has a fish everyone else reels in... I had a lot of good effort on Cabelas walleye runners, glass shad raps and rap floaters with a 3 way rig... best colors seem to be orange or some combo of orange and blue...

Bitz

JCR couple of quick questions. For the weight to you mean you put a slip weight on and then tie your swivel to stop the weight and then put on you 8ib line for leader than crank. Please let me know if this sounds right. Kabetogama and Namakan I would suspect have the same water tint what colors would you say work the best in this darker water. Thanks JCR laugh.gif

The weights are described as "Bead Trolling Leads" in the catelog. They are an oblong weight,on a bead chain, with a eyelet on one end and a snap on the other. They are available from 1/2 OZ to eight OZ. Most stores only carry 1/2,3/4 and 1OZ. Sometimes they are hard to find but larger tackle stores should have them. I tie the eyelet to the end of the line, then connect four foot of 8LB mono to the snap and tie the Shadrap on the end of the leader. I find either silver or gold Shadraps work best for me on Rainy.

Thanks JCR, I got you now I think I used them on lake of the Woods, but we were trolling spinners. All of this info is helping me out greatly. I know what equipment to get and what I need to start catching some fish in the tough months. Thanks alot guys. Do any of you have any comments on Power Pro line. I have heard a few good things about it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hello Dock Boy,

I use 10 lb Power Pro when trolling lures like the deep diving Tail Dancer. I also use the same line when pulling bottom bouncers with spinners. The small diameter line has little drag so lures go deeper with less line out. The only negative is there is no line stretch. You need a rod with good flex so the fish does not pull the hook out. A slow steady retrieve works. Another suggestion is to use a line counter reel. I use the Daiwa Sealine. This reel allows you to precisely control the amount of line out thus you can change the depth you are trolling.

Regards,

Wayne

Thanks Small Jaw, Is that the 10lb but with the diameter of 2ib test. I will be using a St Croix deep diving crank rod TWS70MHM for a rod.

Dock Boy....I use power pro almost on most of my rigs.Everyone has their own opinion on what works better and what their most comfortable using for fishing line.Braided lines do however run your crankbaits deeper than mono.Most of my trolling is done using either, ten/two or fifteen/four powerpro.Because of the thinner diameter of the line your baits will run deeper.Just remember,when using braids you have to compensate the no stretch by keeping your drag set loose.I also use glass rods because of their flexibilty.As far as what to do when you hook a fish,thats your call,I stop and fight the fish in .If its a small fish I may slow down and reel it in a little faster.

Trolling takes time to learn,its alot of trial and error.There are alot of tools out there to help you learn faster,but nothing is better than on the water experience.Have fun up there....

Thanks guys, I just ordered the Precision Trolling Edition 8. I spoke with the ladie I ordered it from. Edition 8 is just an updated version of 7. In a different forum I had guys say buy both 7 and 8, but she told me they both have the same info 8 is just updated with different lowers that just came out on the market.

I am using the 10/2 PowerPro line. As for the rod, if you can see the lure vibrate by watching the rod tip, then you have a good match. If your rod is too heavy and not vibrating, you need to go with more flex. This will help know when you have a very small fish or a weed on. You can set your reel drag to help prevent hook pull outs as well.

Good Luck,

Wayne

I also run 10-2 Power Pro. Some of my favorite trolling lures are reefrunners in the deepdiver and the new 400 series. Also the Smithwick rattling rogues, bomber long a's, shad raps, fasttracks and taildancers to name a few. If they dont run deep enough for you use a snap weight or a sinker that you can run a rubberband threw and wrap on your line. Then just break off the rubber band when it gets reeled up to the rod.

I like a 7.5 to 8.5' rod with a nice soft tip to absorb the no stretch of the Power Pro.

Depending on boat speed I will either slow down, kick in and out of gear or if a big one is on I may cut the motor totally. If trolling boards I never cut the motor totally though.

Another option is to troll sticks behind dypsie divers. Works good to get baits way down there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I just got my G Loomis 7/10 crankbait rod and I have the Diawa Sealine reel. I also have my power pro 10/2 line and 8ib mono for the lead. I have never owned a baitcaster line counter reel in my life. How do I spoll the power pro on to my reel. Someone told me I need to put backer line on before my power pro. I have two reels and 500 yards of PP. How or what do I need to do first to get these babies ready for tommarrow. Thanks guys for all or your help.

The problem is the proline is too slippery to wind on the spool of the reel (it will spin instead of winding), unless the spool has a hole through it. The solution is to tie mono to the reel and wind it until the spool is covered. The mono will grab the spool. Then tie the proline to the mono. Incidently the eyes were doing great last week on Redgut in 30 to 35 ft of water. Depending on the lure you will need an OZ or so of weight to get to that depth.

Thanks JCR, I have talked to a guide around my area and fishing alot of the time 20 feet down in 30 feet of water. He says the eyes will come right off the bottom to nail the crank. I have some big reef runners, deep diving raps that will reach 28ft. So you say spoll up some mono on thier first.

Yep spool up a decent amount of mono onto your spool so it will grab and then blood knot the power pro to the mono. It will work great and there will be zero slippage.

Good Luck Fishing!

Hello Dock Boy,

Braided line is slick and if you do not use backing, the whole mass of power pro could slip on the spool, especially when wet. 20 yards or so of mono backing will cure the problem. You want to end up with a full spool so the line counter is accurate. Look at the reel capacity so you can decide exactly how much backing to use. I seldom let out more than 200 feet when trolling deep diving plugs. I also do not use a mono leader. The 10/2 is very small diameter and I do not believe fish notice it. The power pro also has excellent abrasion resistance. Much better than mono. This helps if you are trolling in areas where you might encounter mussell shells that can cut mono. I also use the same setup when pulling bottom bouncers.

Others may have better luck using a mono leader. It would be good to hear their opinion as well.

Regards,

Wayne

I don't think you want to be 10 feet off the bottom. We usually trol three lines and if anybody is not close to the bottom, they don't do as well. I think you want to be as close to the bottom as you can get without dragging too often.

SmallJaw, so you just tie a swivel with clasp onto the power pro, so you are able to change cranks quick. I really appreciate everyones help. Thanks guys

DB,

I tie directly to the lure. I like to retie often in case of a fray and avoid snaps that can be a weak link. With power pro, I use an improved clinch knot and have never had a knot failure.

Regards,

Wayne

Shad raps and bomber long A's work well for me. I've got a half dozen reefrunners I can't get to run true at all. Frustrating!! I tie direct with 10 or 12lb mono. Any hints on how to get a plug to run true? It seems it's only the reefrunners I'm having trouble with.