Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
broken poles

lake trout in wabana/trout lake area?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I will be heading up to the trout lake area(north of grand rapids) next week and would really like to try fishing for lake trout.If anyone has any tips or knows a baitshop that might it would be appreciated.Thanks.

Ben at Bens bait might have an Idea how to go about some of that

Jason

I've been out chasing lakers around here, 3 times in the last week and it's been a lesson in frustration!!!! I ran a downrigger and dipsy diver on the other rod, using spoons on both and zilch, nadda, zippo! I fished Big Trout, Pokegama, and jigged smelt on Caribou last week. I lots of bait on the graph and in some cases some pretty good archs, but no takers. Watch the graph close, find bait clouds and start trolling. On Big Trout and Caribou a guy could use deep diving cranks, 20-25' range and should be right where I graphed the bait. On Pokegama, everything was about 40' or deeper. If you find out the secret to catching lakers around here let me know!!! grin.gif

Brian

That's not quite the action I was hoping for but thanks for the reply. I will be staying very close to big trout and caribou and have fished them both before with exactly the same results. I have been trying for two years to catch a laker and still nothing. Is Bens Bait in grand rapids? I don't know the town very well but I always have room for a little advice and a couple more lures in the tackle box.Thanks for the help and if I accidently catch one I'll let you know the details. smile.gif

Ben's is in GR. It is on the north side of Hwy 2 in the western part of town. Great shop!

Well, I finally caught a laker. I doubt that I've figured out any secrets but I did manage to catch one 18" and had two other hits that pulled the line out of the release.I was on Caribou about 35' down with a "Pro Troll Trout Killer". Gold spoons were also tried but had no takers.Three of us tried trout lake for a few hours on mon. but didn't do any good, Thanks for the help and those fish are all yours 'till next aug. when maybe I can get another one to cooperate.

Broken poles,

Thanks for the reply. Them lakers are definitely easier in the spring and fall. I still plan on getting out a time or two for lakers yet and will post results!

Brian