• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Aluminum is through the roof, watch your boats.

setterguy

I have heard of 3 guys having thier small aluminum boats stolen in the last month. Aluminum is close to 2 bucks a pound so I am assuming they are scrapping them. Lock those little boats up tight, they can disapear quickly.

Great advice! Not only boats but lifts and even docks.

Lets just hope recyling centers ask for the registration slip for the boat. Proof that the boat is yours and your salvaging it.

Believe it or not catalytic converters are worth a ton of $$ too. People have had them ripped off too.

Cat. Converters contain platinum.

Platinum is $1,236 a troy ounce right now.

Thats $43 a gram roughly!

a buddy of mine had the catalytic converter cut out of his brand new (2000 miles) toyota tundra back the end of june. we were parked at teh camp lake public access while out fishing. got back, started the truck and it sounded like h#@l. look underneath and sure enough they cut it out. i am guessing they got spooked by something because they didnt cut the otehr one out.

over $2000 to get it fixed.

Speaking of aluminum going through the roof...I've been told on a couple occassions that aluminum boats will cost approx. 15% - 18% more for the '07s and the '08s will be another 10% - 15% more than the '07s.

Maybe I should just buy a paddle boat!?! shocked.gifsmirk.giftongue.gif

Either that or just fish the rest of my life for bullheads and carp off my parent's shoreline! tongue.gif

Quote:

copper is though the roof also I paid $23.00 for a 10ft @ 1/2 two days ago what a joke
confused.gif

That stinks, now everyone has to watch their houses too for people stealing the pipes?!?! tongue.gif, yeah yeah bad joke I know

I have an old 14' 60's? alumacraft. You know the kind with the heavy aluminum wall and double rivets. I just wonder what that thing weighs? laugh.gif

Clean copper is going for 2.50 a pound I had a some that I bought at a rummage sale 30# coil of it and I got 75.00 I think I paid a dollar for it. Glad I am not building a house copper and wire is going through the roof right now.

Not as bad a joke as you'd think. One of my boss' rental properties has been broken into twice in the last 3 months. Fortunately this last time, they were nice enough to shut the water main before ripping out all of the exposed copper.

Wow are you serious. I can't believe that! I guess people will really steal anything. I hate people some days.

With gas prices so high.. small boaters should chain up their tanks too. I had a 10 gallon tank stolen out of the boat before I built the deck over the tank.

Don't ya just love it. I chain up both my work trailers, I have locking gas caps on my truck tanks. At 35 gals it is now a chunk of money to fill them up. I used to tell everyone my dogs bark but they don't bite now I tell them they bite and you don't hear them coming. And I live in what I would say is a good neighborhood. Price of gas and the rising costs of materials makes the thrifts even more of a problem for everyone.

we had somebody drain one of our farm tractors out in a field that was a good half mile off the road. they got between 75 to 90 gallons of red fuel that is for off-road use. Never spilled a drop

Wow, those are some pretty bizarre stories. These guys doing the stealing must not have their heads screwed on straight. What's worse....saving or making $100 or less....or....going to jail if you get caught?

This is rediculous the things that are going on.

Speaking of copper prices, my boss told me today that 500KCMIL copper is about $30 per foot. Just about any commercial building has 400 amp panels in it being feed by 500KCMIL wire. Don't think $30 per foot is much? Imagine a 400 foot pull times three wires = $36,000 worth of wire! This cost gets passed onto you, the consumer. Wanna know why the cost is so high right now? I've been told by the parts houses that an emerging China has driven up the cost of fuel and the rebuilding of Iraq and New Orleans is responsible for the cost of copper, aluminum, plywood, sheetrock and insulation. So I've been told. I guess I can believe that story.

43...My wife and I were in the back yard repairing some sheds, going back and forth between the garage and in between trips, someone came in and walked off with 2 5 gal. and 1 2 1/2 gallon gas cans. They weren't full but they were definately gone!

I check the boat and someone had tried to get the tank out of there also...something must have scared them off, cause the job wasn't quite finished.