Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sifty

Hard starting Merc 75 4 stroke

6 posts in this topic

A co worker has a new 75 horse mec that is a very hard starter. About five minutes of cranking to get it to go. After it has been started and gotten hot it will fire right up.

The motor has been started in netrual but seems to act like it is flooded.

The service tech said to start it at fast idle.

Any thoughts.

Sifty

A couple of basic things first...

Does he prime the primer bulb till it's hard prior to starting it for the first time in a while?

Is he choking it (holding in the key switch and turning the key at the same time)?

Merc 75's are kind of notorious as cold blooded motors... often times you'll need to get it started and then run it at a higher idle until it's warmed up.

marine_man

Yes he is priming the bulb.

They told him it is electronic choke and is not conacted to the key.

Sifty

Thats goofy, my buddy has an old pontoon with a 28hp with the choke connected to the key. Why wouldn't they do that on a new merc...THought that was pretty standard

A lot of the new 4 strokes have an automatic choke that is regulated by a thermostat in the block... if the thermostat's cold it chokes it and if it's hot it doesn't...

Sifty - regarding your friend's problem it could be that the automatic choke system isn't working... I've heard of instances where the choke works the opposite way - it would choke when it was hot but not when it was cold. It'd be worth checking into, that's for sure.

marine_man

I have an 02' 75 Merc 4 stroke and have had no starting problems to speak of. Mine is a tiller. Pump the ball until hard, typically my throttle is down all the way (below where it says to have it for starting) and she pops right off. Sometimes it acts as if it has a little too much gas and will die off when trying to give her throttle. A couple minutes of letting her idle and it's good to go. I typically only have to pump the ball the first time off the trailer for a weekend trip and then don't touch it for the rest of the weekend. Only problem that I did have is not running Seafoam constantly in with the gas and then not draining the carburetor's when I didn't use it for an extended period. I now religiously run SeaFoam.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

• Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• monstermoose78

Posted

Wide awake!!! So excited I am for Finn's first duck opener!!! He is snoring like a chain saw.  I will post from the field

• ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.     
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time! Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)! Cliff