• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jonah, Question about Long

Hi Jonah,

I'll be coming up on Saturday to fish long. I know that I'll have to fish at night to catch some walleyes. I'll be on the north end of Long and have never fished this lake before. Can you give me any tips like deth and type, color of crank bait to troll. What type of structure should I look for, any general locations? I don't have the $ for a guide this trip, I burnt it on my trip to Cass Lake earlier in the year. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

sorry i missed the post. i have been doing alot of night fishing out there in the 30 to 50 foot range with the best success on rapala f18 original floaters in a blue or black color. i think size is more important then color however. Jonah

I've been talking to my father who lives on Long. He says the walleye fishing at night the past two weeks has been very good. Trolling cranks in 10 fow 10pm - midnight. Every night he's been out, he's released 3-4 fish 22-29". Usually catches 1 or maybe 2 eaters.

Not a problem that you missed it. We tried almost everything, threw my tackle box at them. We had some success. Caught 5 real nice fish. Enough for a good fish fry. The largest were 20". Over all the fishing was good.I didn't have a lot of luck trolling with crankbaits. I don't think I went deep enough. All the walleye were caught using bottom bouncers and crawlers. Long lake is a great lake. When the walleyes weren't biting it was fun to catch numerous other species. All CPR. The Park Rapids area is beutiful and the people were helpful and friendly. I'm hoping that we can return to the area next year. I marked numerous fish in the 25-30 foot range but had trouble getting them to bite. Thanks for the hospitality and the fun. The stump fields were our favorite spot to hit. The bass were really active and we caught some real nice fish.