• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone out there have any experience with renting a private cabin?

We're looking at doing that next year in September for a couple of weeks.

Any insights, experiences, recommendations would be most welcome!

We noticed a couple of years ago that there are several houses for rent on V. Next year we are renting one so we can expand our 1 week vacation into 2. The agreements seem to pretty well mirror the agreements for regular resort cabins. Your experience will depend on the people managing the property just like your resort experience will depend on those running the resort. Good and bad in all situations. I would start by word-of-mouth recomendations. Rantalahti is the house we are staying at. It's next door to Muskego Point which is where we stay on our normal vacation week. Nice home. Owners are pleasant and we haven't heard any negatives about their dealings. Might be a good place to start.

Steve

We stayed at Uncle Tom's Cabin (Tom Kvale) and I would highly recommend it. Great shore, fire pit, sauna, dish TV, basement for wet clothes, nice deck, very well stocked w/ supplies.

We also stayed at Trancheffs and I would go back there as well. Not as nice, but well maintained and attentive owners on site.

There are a lot of very nice private cabins for rent on the lake now.

Not sure how competativly priced that they are compared to a resort.

Cliff

rantalahti is where Im going for the first time in September..already booked it for the 2nd week in september for next year...he is filling up fast...only has the last two weeks open in september of next year...cant wait to check it out...we stat at voyageurs cove every july...has anyone camped at wak um up campground....

Sue,

My family and I got to walk through it before we left on July 29th. You'll love it! We'll get spoiled for sure. It's a good thing Joe and Jenny run such a great place at muskego (hee hee smirk.gif)

the ...privates i have seen are pretty nice...and the price seems to be good....there are plenty out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Good pick Sue. The resorts on Big V. are overpriced and too many cabins on such small areas! Private home rentals are the wave of the future! Once all the resorts are gone, the lake will have less people around and the fishing will be fantastic once again!

• 2 weeks later...

I have ny doubts about the resorts being the source of "all the people" on the lake fishing. When I forst found Vermilion 20 years ago, there were a lot less people on it. As I recall there are no new resorts in that time. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But, there sure are a lot more folks on the lake. I wonder where they came from??

Quote:

Good pick Sue. The resorts on Big V. are overpriced and too many cabins on such small areas! Private home rentals are the wave of the future! Once all the resorts are gone, the lake will have less people around and the fishing will be fantastic once again!

Your kidding right??

*shakes head* smirk.gif