Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rather B Fishing

Shore Fishing

2 posts in this topic

I'm heading up boatless with my wife and looking to possibly get her into something other than panfish.

Could anyone direct me to any good shore fisheries this time of year that might include bass, walleye, pike, something in addition to panfish anywhere in the Brainerd/Nisswa/Cross Lake area? Many thanks!!!

Just got back from shore fishing the Mississippi in Brainerd. From the Washington Street bridge to the College Drive bridge, you can walk all along the eastern bank and cast for smallies and pike. I've fised this stretch of river for about four years now, and I am really amazed at how productive and neat this section of river is . . . .doesn't even seem like you are in downtown Brainerd. No hyperbole, there is more solitude here than fishing on most of the bigger lakes in the area.

You can easily get to the middle of the river under the bridges, and it makes for a good day's fishing. Just be prepared to lose some tackle . . . I use 20 pund power pro to help with this problem.

A simple beetle spin or weighted tube will work. And don't be afraid to get a little wet (ankle deep) to get to some of the exposed rocks in the middle of the river.

I have never seen the river this low . . . .if it drops another 6-8 inches, you will be amazed at how much more river bottom is exposed.