Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
island guy

redtail chubs

3 posts in this topic

I'm not much of a live bait guy this time of year but I do hear reports of folks having good luck with redtails. It got me curious. Where are the redtails trapped? Lakes, streams, rivers? I'm not looking for specific spots just curious where they hang out.

Also, anyone ever see Tullibee minnows? Where do they hang out? An enquiring mind needs to know!

rivers

Tulibees live deep this time of year.

In my 17 years around Fergus I caught a lot of redtails. Take your ice fishing jig stick, the smallest ice flies and some Berkley Power Wigglers. Take any spot on the Otter Tail River you can wade and go sight fishing for them. It can be a blast. Tie you bait bucket to your belt loop with a long enough rope. Start around any bridge over the OT and go from there. Up and downstream from the 1st one on County road #1 is a great place to start. I used to live downstream from there. I have caught them up to 7 or 8 inches long and the odd Smallmouth that races in. Then go catch BIG eyes and slimers. Joe Z.