• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting into Canada

gundy89

I know people have talked about this before, but we have a last minute trip to Canada planned. One of our Group members has a DWI from 7 years ago. I was under the impression that he could process the Pardon at the border, however the Canadian Immigration said it takes a minimum of 8 weeks to process. Anyone have any expierence with this? Thanks for all the help.

If they ask for his drivers license, and they most like will, he should be prepared to head south. There are many different stories out there, but if you got your information from CA customs I would hold that as gold. One of my buddies got turned around last year for a D-Dub six years before. He applied for the permit and it was issued in about six weeks. He is good to go for 10 years.

I'd have to agree with DD. Our trip this year, each of the 3 vehicles we had was asked for driver's licenses. They didn't run our licenses, but just checked that our identity matched our faces. That's not to say they won't run a license though.

The guy with the d-dub should have a contingency plan for coming home, just in case.

Also as mentioned, the Canada forum has lots of discussion regarding this topic. Would be good for you to check out.

I have heard that in Oct or Nov you will HAVE to have a Passport to cross the Canadian border.

I am thinking about getting one now just to be safe.

Effective the end of the year all air travel will require a passport to get in to Canada. By vehicle (ground) you won't need a passport till the end of 2007.

Please see the Canada Forum for more info.

marine_man

I worked with a guy that I flew into Canada with and ran into this issue. They will give you a pass if you have a DWI from the past. As far as I know he had to pay $200.00 to get into the country and had to fill out some paper work on where he was staying and for how long. The next time he goes he has to do the same process. I have heard it may be changing though. A DWI in Canada is a felony. The only way to clear it is to do a 30 day rehab session up there.

If you go to the Canadian customs web site you will find a ton of information. Basically it boils down to what was the offense and how long has it been. However in reality it is much more complicated than that. For some things the border agent can control, for others an offcial pardon from the Canadian "high priest" is necessary. Canada takes DWIs much more seriously than the U.S. The problem comes in because our laws and Canadas don't match so the Canadian official has to decide which of their laws most closely resembles the one of ours that was broken.

Obviously, the only way for the border agents to find out is to run the license - a possibility, but remote. Make sure he isn't a driver.

If you don't say anything and your license doesn't say anything I think you should be ok.......My friends theory is that our government doesn't release all of our personal info to foriegn countries even if they are our neighbors. This is my friends thought on the border crossing and he has given them his license a number of times and nothing has been said. He has went to Canada every year for the last 10 and he picked up his d-dub like 7 years ago. The last two years I have been in the car crossing with him and each time they took our license and did what ever with them and not a word has been said...... So I agree with his theory.......So far............ smirk.gif

if you cross ok with him make sure he does not drive in Canada! ne has no license there and will be put into jail. same is true if you have a pardon - does not mean you can drive. its a long process to get a drivers license back in canada once you have had a dwi and you need a better reason than to go fishing. just fyi -