Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD

local Ely water temps & levels

7 posts in this topic

Headed to bear island on the 26th

What are the water levels like? Water temps? Anything biting there recently? Any other area lakes to try for a day or two? Is Vermilion the only local lake with Musky?

BFD: I can only give you a little help. Dumbbell Lake, near Isabella, has muskies, but that's the only other one besides Vermilion that does, within easy striking distance of Ely. I don't know about temps, but the lakes here are from a foot to two feet low.

Shagawa lake next to Ely has had several large Muskies caught in it,some must have escaped from the Wolf Lake rearing ponds many years back. Water level went up to near spring levels about 10 days ago after a two days of heavy rains, but are droping down again. Surface water temp is about 74-75 degrees, down from a high of 81-82 degrees.

Thanks, Nice to see the temps are down a bit. Are there many shallow unmarked areas of concern on Bear Island, I like my lower unit the way it is :-) . Is 'Big-Lake' a decent day-trip lake?

Your lower unit should be just fine if you take it slow the first couple times out on this lake. As is the case on most of the lakes in this area there will be sudden spots that raise upwards quickly, most are around or near islands and main lake points.

A day trip to "Big Lake" on the echo will take roughly around a hour to an hour&half pulling a boat. It's a fairly easy drive most of the way, you will have half the drive up echo on gravel with alot of curves that will take up time, but it is a scenic area and worth the trip up.

The public landing has a cement ramp which is nice to use and a fair amount of parking also.

Farmer

Thanks Farmer... I thought that 'Big Lake' was a bit closer to Ely than that. There may be more than one lake with that name in the area. Are there any motor restrictions?

I will email you with stories and info when I return.

Thanks!

BFD:

No motor restrictions on Big Lake.

By the map it looks fairly close to the north of Ely. It's the gravel portion of the echo that will slow things down. I'm just averaging from Bear Island to Big Lake that it would take around an hour or so.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip up north.

Farmer