Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishmeister_86

FISHING REPORT///AUG 9TH

5 posts in this topic

HI F.M.ERS,

HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO FISH WITH 2 OF THE BEST WALLEYE FISHERMAN I KNOW ON RAINY TODAY, JIM ROLANDO & TOM WORTH ARE KNOWN TO THE LOCALS AS COUPLE OF GUYS WHO KNOW HOW TO FISH. WE FISHED REEFS & BREAKLINES, AND DID THE BEST IN 30 TO 40 FEET WITH LINDY RIGS, WHOLE NIGHTCRAWLERS, A FEW ON SHINNERS. WE HAD 11 OR 12 IN THE SLOT, KEPT 7, AND RELEASED A FEW SMALLER FISH AND BASS. WAS FUN TO FISH WITH THOSE GUYS, TOM HAS BEEN FISHING RAINY SINCE 1958, THE YEAR I WAS BORN, SO HE HAS FISHED RAINY ALMOST 50 YEARS., IT WAS HONOR TO BE IN THE BOAT WITH THEM.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Did you try leeches? We are going up next Thursday for our annual trip and usually only buy leeches... I am rethinking this, as every report thus far has night crawlers being the best bait.

Thanks,

Ben

HI ANY LAKE,

I HAVE NOT DONE AS WELL ON LEECHES, HOWEVER THEY WILL STILL WORK, JUST HAVE DONE BETTER ON SHINNERS & CRAWLERS. AS FAR AS THE AREAS YOU HAVE MENTIONED, I DO NOT FISH THEM LIKE SUPERBLACK & SOME OF THE OTHERS DO...SO I'M LETTING THEM HANDLE THAT REPLY.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Fishmeister it was a blast fishing with you guys. Thanks for letting arookie follow ya around for a bit!

Our day started off slow and got even slower mid day. Later in the evening I did a little exploring and hit reefs on my chip that nobody was on. It payed off a bit. I got 6 nice eyes. All in the slot except 1. Wound up with about 9 eyes 1 big smallie, 1 6" walleye grin.gif and a few pike.

All but 1 fish came on crawlers with just the tail blown and a bare red #4 hook. ( Took a while to figure out the tail blowing up trick) 1 was on a shiner and none on leeches or gulp.

Lots of fish suspended on reefs so next time up I will troll some sticks/cranks.

Dave can I rent the Cabin the night of the 14th and 15th? I would love to explore Rainy some more. Call me or Ill call you when I get back in town. Mil Lacs tomorrow.

Fishing with leeches had been really good and I would have used them on the last trip, but nobody in Fort Francis had any. I checked 3 bait stores in and around the Fort and nothing. Just glad they were going on crawlers and cranks..

Sincerely, SB