Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Code-Man

Sabots

9 posts in this topic

I'm just wondering what people think of the differnt sabots that are on the market. I have been playing with acouple differnt ones and I'm just wondering what people think and have had luck with.

Too spendy for my taste. I'll stick with the regular foster style slugs and limit my shots to less than 60 yards.

I have shot regular and sabot style and for my hunting situation I stick with the regular foster style. I shoot in woods and less then 100 yards. Now most of my shots are at 40 yards or less I have my gun sighted in to where I can group 5 foster slugs in a 5 inch paper plate at 100 yards. I just can not justify the big money for the sabots. I have shot 7 times in the last few years and got 7 deer. All with fosters. If they work fine why spend the extra money. Now if you were shooting open area with longer shots I would totally spend the money on sabots. They will give you a tighter group and longer range but you still have to know the limits.

Froggy

With a good rifled barrel and then finding a sabot that works the best in that gun you can attain some very good yardage.I will usually use 3-5 different brands to find the one that will pattern the best with the tighest groups.

If your in the thick part of the woods with only a short range shot then the others will work fine.

You will see that some sabots shot much better in some barrels and not in the others.Slugs have come a long ways in the last 15 years.

I was thinking of sabots for black powder.

I shoot 200 gr. T/C shockwaves with 100 gr. of Hodgdon pellets. My average 100 yard group is 1 inch. I just got the ML so I havent shot a deer with this combo but Ive heard great results with shockwaves. Does anybody else shoot shockwaves? How do they perform on deer?

Which rifle are you using? If you are using open sights, that is FANTASTIC accuracy.

I was using a Winchester x-150 with a 1.75-4 on it.