Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Place to stay on South Side

1 post in this topic

Wondering where to stay on the south side of the lake?? Somewhere around izatys. Thanks for any help.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ZachD
      Man that is a tough situation I don't know what I would do. Maybe hold off on the mri and go like 6 weeks with strict rest and see how it goes. I would say too that I wouldn't hunt him at all this year regardless on if he seems to be better or not.
    • BRB
      Just wanted to see if any of you have experienced this with your hunting dogs. I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab who I’ve really been excited to hunt with this year but unfortunately that has been put on hold for the time being. When the problem occurred. Of course while I was on the road for work my wife called and told me that she was playing catch in the back yard throwing the ball maybe 20ft at max and our dog slipped and kind of rolled over himself (from what she said). After that she noticed that he was limping a little bit nothing to bad, but he didn’t want to play catch anymore. When I got home we took him to the vet who provided us with an anti inflammatory. And told us to rest him (leash only for 4 weeks). This was perfect timing because we were getting him fixed so the rest would be easy. The anti inflammatory and rest seemed like it was working at the end of the 4 weeks, my wife and I were heading out of town and we left our dog with my parents who also have a 4 year old black lab. I told my dad to take it easy with our dog due to the circumstances. When we went to pick our dog up we noticed he was limping again and I asked my dad how much activity did our dog get, he said that took his dog and our on a walk through taller grass looking for pheasants for no longer then a half a mile. So here we go again back to the vet and this time having an orthopedic surgeon look at him. They took x rays and nothing appeared to be abnormal. He recommended again 4 weeks leash only with an RX for anti inflammatory. So here we are now. It has been at the end of the 4 weeks again he seemed to be doing a little better until we had to bring him again to my parents and he was off leash for a little bit playing around with my parents older lab. And as soon as we got him back he was limping for a few days. I have told my dad servral to take it easy with our he is trying to heal. But he is the type where, ” hes a dog he will be fine in a few days. So after consulting with the vet again, they are referring us to the U of M vet clinic where we will be meeting with an orthopedic again. I kept asking our vet is this something serious enough to be needing surgery…… she didn’t think so. The guess was soft tissue damage, ie torn muscle or strained muscle. How long do these things take to heal. Basically what it comes down to is that I dont want to take him to the U of M bay $250 to meet with an orthopedic and do an MRI which is $1500 just to have them say he needs to rest more. If he has no activity for 3-4 days, the limp is barley noticeable.But anytime he is off the leash trotting around a little bit then he will limp the next day. When we work his shoulder it doesn’t seem to bother him or be an any type of pain. The first orthopedic said he got a little bit of a reaction on abduction rotation, but wasn’t to bad. Sorry for the long story but I’m getting really frustrated with the amount of money spent with basically not getting any answers.It is killing me not knowing what’s going on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    • noska
      Outside of the multiple boats that fish horseshoe off the point, what are some other places to try for walleye this time of year?   Thanks in advance 
    • Rick
      Recreational netting for whitefish and tullibee is anticipated to open on several Schedule I Lakes in the Grand Rapids fisheries work area beginning in late October, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Schedule I Lakes, which are more susceptible to sudden changes that impact water temperatures, will be opened and closed on a 48-hour notice posted at lake accesses, other public places, and the DNR website. Schedule II Lakes, will open Nov. 4. Schedule I Lakes (48 hour notice) Anticipated opening dates are as follows: Oct. 29 through Dec.4, for Deer (near Deer River) and Turtle. Nov. 4 through Dec. 11, for Side and South Sturgeon (1.75 inch mesh). Nov. 11 through Dec. 11, for Big Balsam and Nashwauk (1.75 inch mesh). Schedule II Lakes Lakes open to whitefish-tullibee sport-netting Nov. 4 through Dec. 11: Bass (north basin). Ball Club. Bowstring.* Little Bowstring. Cut Foot Sioux.* Deer (near Effie). Grave. Jessie. Maple. Pokegama. Round (near Squaw Lake –1.75 inch mesh). Rush Island. Sand (near Max).* Swan. (1.75 inch mesh). Twin Lakes (near Marble). Winnibigoshish* and Little Winnibigoshish* (1.75 inch mesh). *Bowstring, Cut Foot Sioux, Sand, Winnibigoshish and Little Winnibigoshish are designated infested waters because of the presence of faucet snails or zebra mussels. Nets and equipment used in infested waters may not be used in any other waterbody unless they have been dried for 10 days or frozen for two days. Fishing regulations require that: A whitefish netting license is purchased. A person may use only one gill net, not exceeding 100 feet in length and 3 feet in width. One end of net must have a pole, stake, or buoy projecting at least 2 feet above the surface of the water or ice. Nets must have an identification tag attached near the first float of the end that is projecting from the surface of the water or ice. Identification tags must be a minimum of 2 ½ inches by 5/8 inch permanently bearing the name and address of the owner. Identification tags for marking nets are provided by the owner. Nets may not be set after sunset or raised before sunrise. All gill nets must be set and lifted by the licensee only. Nets must be tended at least once every 24 hours. A net may not be set in any water deeper than six feet. A net may not be set within 50 feet of another net. Minimum gill net mesh size shall be no less than 1-3/4 or 3-1/2 inch stretch measure depending on the lake (see attached schedules). Nets used in designated infested waters must be dried for a minimum of 10 days or frozen for two days before using in a different water body. Nets should be dried for 10 days or frozen for two before moving from any lake to another. Nets used in spiny water flea and/or zebra mussel infested waters should be not used in any other waterbody. Nets should be transported in sealed container. Whitefish and ciscoes taken by sport gill netting may not be bought or sold. Whitefish and ciscoes taken by sport gill netting may not be used as bait. The possession limit for whitefish taken by sport gill netting within the Leech Lake Reservation boundaries is 25. Net placement should not inhibit use of the lake by other boaters. About 700 people obtain special permits to net for whitefish-tullibee each year. The DNR bases netting schedules on expected water temperatures. As the water temperature cools, game fish head to deeper water and whitefish-tullibee come to shallow water for fall spawning. Netting is allowed when there is little chance that game fish populations would be negatively impacted by recreational netting in shallow water. For more information, visit, then click on whitefish and ciscoes sport gillnetting regulations, or contact the DNR’s Grand Rapids area office at 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids, or call 218-328-8836. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • ZachD
      Going to try and get out Pheasant hunting this weekend hoping Sunday it may be less busy out there during the Vikings game.