Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoot

Yamalube vs. TC-W3 rated other oils

10 posts in this topic

I'm told I can run any TC-W3 rated oil in my 150 Yammy VMax. Is this true? So far I've only run Yamalube, but I was told that any TC-W3 would meet the same standards of Yamalube. I don't want to do anything that would hurt the motor in the long run, but I also like the idea of paying half the price for oil by avoiding paying the the name of Yamalube. Please advise...

You can use any oil that meets the specs but I'd continue to use the Yammalube. Oftentimes Yammi dealers will sell you the Yammalube out of their bulk tanks cheaper than you can buy the jugs on the shelf, you just have to bring your own container.

I've owned several Yammi's, both HPDI's and V-max. These are sophisticated machines, I wouldn't run them on cheap consumables. I'd use the Yammalube, just buy it the cheapest way possible.

Controversial topic...

I say yes, any TC-W3 oil has to meet certain minimum specs to bear the certification.

Contrary to popular belief (mainly instilled with thinly veiled, or in some cases, outright threats of voided warranty) everyone automatically assumes OEM oils are TOTL. They may or may not be, all we can say for sure is that any TC-W3 oil meets certain minimum specifications. If some brand claims to exceed TC-W3 specs, it is undefined which part of the spec, or by how much the spec is exceeded.

Now, I'm not saying go buy the cheapest stuff you can find. But, I think any of the non-OEM brand names that are TC-W3 certified will be just fine in your engine and are at least comparable to OEM, if not better, and less expensive too.

Scoot, this topic has been brought up many times and it always ends up in a debate with no winners.

Do a search for this and you'll find many threads.

Anyway, if you are not confident in using other oils, then don't, it doesn't make sense to damage many thousands of $$ just to save few cents.

I thought the yama-lube was a semi synthetic oil, hence recommended....I certainly wouldn't look to skimp on the cheap oil...Motors aren't cheap...

Uhh...No on the "yamma lube is semi synthetic" blanket statement.

It's not synthetic unless it says synthetic.

TCW3 is a minimum requirement that covers chemical impurity tolerances, viscosity, combustion, emmitions, etc etc.

Each oil manufacturer is allowed their own propietary blend to reach these requirements and become certified, as long as they pass the tests and titrations as required.

However, certain differing chemicals from different manufacturers do not mix well together, and can cause clotting, combusiton issues, etc.

It is for that reason that your owners manual will typically state that any TCW3 certified oil can be used, however it is discouraged to mix differing brands of oil together in one application due to the formentioned reasons.

I, for one, see this unlikely, though possible. (I am in the chemical field as a profession; acids, caustics, oils, solvents)

I would be more concerned with bad fuel, a clogged jet, or a gap in the gasket on your carbs then mixing two oils...

Are there some brands that don't stink as much as others?

I have heard good things about Amsoil, any opinions on that stuff for the bigger motors like this?

Thanks for the input fellas. Valv, I figured this had been brought up a bunch of times, but I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

I run Amsoil in my sleds, and in my 90 HP Yamaha outboard. Very good oil - not much smoke and I have yet to foul a plug.