Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoot

Yamalube vs. TC-W3 rated other oils

10 posts in this topic

I'm told I can run any TC-W3 rated oil in my 150 Yammy VMax. Is this true? So far I've only run Yamalube, but I was told that any TC-W3 would meet the same standards of Yamalube. I don't want to do anything that would hurt the motor in the long run, but I also like the idea of paying half the price for oil by avoiding paying the the name of Yamalube. Please advise...

You can use any oil that meets the specs but I'd continue to use the Yammalube. Oftentimes Yammi dealers will sell you the Yammalube out of their bulk tanks cheaper than you can buy the jugs on the shelf, you just have to bring your own container.

I've owned several Yammi's, both HPDI's and V-max. These are sophisticated machines, I wouldn't run them on cheap consumables. I'd use the Yammalube, just buy it the cheapest way possible.

Controversial topic...

I say yes, any TC-W3 oil has to meet certain minimum specs to bear the certification.

Contrary to popular belief (mainly instilled with thinly veiled, or in some cases, outright threats of voided warranty) everyone automatically assumes OEM oils are TOTL. They may or may not be, all we can say for sure is that any TC-W3 oil meets certain minimum specifications. If some brand claims to exceed TC-W3 specs, it is undefined which part of the spec, or by how much the spec is exceeded.

Now, I'm not saying go buy the cheapest stuff you can find. But, I think any of the non-OEM brand names that are TC-W3 certified will be just fine in your engine and are at least comparable to OEM, if not better, and less expensive too.

Scoot, this topic has been brought up many times and it always ends up in a debate with no winners.

Do a search for this and you'll find many threads.

Anyway, if you are not confident in using other oils, then don't, it doesn't make sense to damage many thousands of $$ just to save few cents.

I thought the yama-lube was a semi synthetic oil, hence recommended....I certainly wouldn't look to skimp on the cheap oil...Motors aren't cheap...

Uhh...No on the "yamma lube is semi synthetic" blanket statement.

It's not synthetic unless it says synthetic.

TCW3 is a minimum requirement that covers chemical impurity tolerances, viscosity, combustion, emmitions, etc etc.

Each oil manufacturer is allowed their own propietary blend to reach these requirements and become certified, as long as they pass the tests and titrations as required.

However, certain differing chemicals from different manufacturers do not mix well together, and can cause clotting, combusiton issues, etc.

It is for that reason that your owners manual will typically state that any TCW3 certified oil can be used, however it is discouraged to mix differing brands of oil together in one application due to the formentioned reasons.

I, for one, see this unlikely, though possible. (I am in the chemical field as a profession; acids, caustics, oils, solvents)

I would be more concerned with bad fuel, a clogged jet, or a gap in the gasket on your carbs then mixing two oils...

Are there some brands that don't stink as much as others?

I have heard good things about Amsoil, any opinions on that stuff for the bigger motors like this?

Thanks for the input fellas. Valv, I figured this had been brought up a bunch of times, but I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

I run Amsoil in my sleds, and in my 90 HP Yamaha outboard. Very good oil - not much smoke and I have yet to foul a plug.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• ZachD
      750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.
    • MattL
      How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water.  If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog.  If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.
    • easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business