Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Even fish hate jet skiis

16 posts in this topic

In the immortal words Bart Simpson........HaHa grin.gif

WILDWOOD, Florida (AP) -- A man riding a personal watercraft was injured after a 4-foot-long sturgeon jumped out of the water and hit him, wildlife officials said.

Blake Nicholas Fessenden, 23, was heading north on the Suwannee River on Sunday when he was hit and fell off the craft, according to a statement from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Fessenden was knocked unconscious.

His girlfriend was riding another watercraft behind him and was able to get to Fessenden and hold his head above water before passengers on another vessel arrived to pull him from the water, officials said.

He was airlifted to a Gainesville hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

A 31-year-old woman was hospitalized in April after a 3-foot-long sturgeon jumped into a boat being driven by the woman's fiance. The pair was also on the Suwannee River.

Officials at the time said similar accidents occur once or twice a year on the river and that the fish can jump as high as 8 feet in the air and can weigh up to 200 pounds.

I wonder who trains the Sturgeon??? lol shocked.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

LMAO i just heard that story on the radio also. Kinda cracked me up. Hope the fish was ok. hehe.

Wonder if we can import some of those brilliant sturgeon up here? Maybe I should get a hold of the Florida fish and game department.

I cetainly hope the moron didn't bruise the fish. grin.gif

Is it legal to use jet skiers for bait?:)

As long as they are less than 7" shocked.gif (i think thats the law, little confused on what you are suppose to measure)

Quote:

I cetainly hope the moron didn't bruise the fish.
grin.gif

Just curious, what makes this guy a moron? Is it the jetski or the bad luck of getting hit by a giant jumping fish?

I understand that some jetskiers can be a nuisance, but not all of them. I love hunting and fishing and I have had and respectfully ridden a jet ski for the last 10 years and I am kind of sick of people putting everyone who has a jetski in one group of "morons". I think alot of people have never been exposed to how fun they are. If you like atv's and snowmobiles, I am 99% sure you would also like riding a jetski.

Just thought I would put that out there,

Ryan

Gee, didn't mean to trip your trigger. You must be the guy that went by 100 yards away. I guess the ones I notice most are the other 99 percent going 50 mph 30 feet away. grin.gifwink.gif

No big deal cold one,

I know there are alot of "morons" out there on jet skis. I just wanted to clarify that not all of us that own jetskis are bad/"morons"

I'm with you Ely. I have owned one for 8 years now. It is used appropriately and respectfully, and my kids and I have a blast using it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "idiots" out there who have gone to great lengths to give jetski's a bad name. My neighbor is an avid fisherman who despises jetski's. One night I got him to take mine out for a ride. Couldn't get the smile off his face.

I've seen plenty of "idiots" in boats before too, but I won't go there. grin.gif

That is a good point, Ely, but if we gather our opinions from what we see, then a lot of the people on jetskiis could use some manners. You see a jetskier and automatically lump them in to a group based on your past experiences. Conversely, many of the people not happy with jetskiis have no problem going 50 mph on a snowmobile to their spot in winter buzzing portables and tipups on their way. And their exhausts aren't muffled by the water, either. These people could use these very same manners, but you always notice the jack***es and not the respectful ones.

Plus, if anyone were to read past the 1st story, there was a person in a BOAT hit by a sturgeon, too.

I own an atv and about all I use it for is hunting and ice fishing. I have never ridden a jet ski and probably won't ever get to. I agree that it would be fun. It's like watching 10 fishermen and one of them is drunk and mouthy. I no which one gets noticed. You're right, they aren't all drunk and mouthy, but they are associated with him. grin.gifwink.gif

Quote:

I own an atv and about all I use it for is hunting and ice fishing. I have never ridden a jet ski and probably won't ever get to. I agree that it would be fun. It's like watching 10 fishermen and one of them is drunk and mouthy. I no which one gets noticed. You're right, they aren't all drunk and mouthy, but they are associated with him.
grin.gifwink.gif

Shoot you met up will me out on the lake before? haha

Quote:

In the immortal words Bart Simpson........HaHa

Actually that was Nelson.

We had a guy with us one time that was pretty hung over in the morning when a farmer with one hand walked into the cafe and he asked "Bitin that good eh?". Probably not the thing to say. shocked.gif