Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
primetime49

Walleye Stocking Minnewaska and Osakis Questions

8 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone out their is a historian on private stocking beyond the call of normal DNR stocking in these two lakes and if you can get contact names of groups doing this great deed?Need dates started,amount of fish stocked ,fry or fingerlings ,adults etc.Walleyes please. Thanks

The lions club stocks walleye into osakis. I know that they sold raffle tickets at the walleye tournament there to stock more walleye into the lake.

minnewaska lake (Contact Us Please). has been doing the extra mile there .Larry at minnewaska bait and tackle has all the details.

Try contacting Dean Beck or Jerry Wendlandt at the Glenwood Fisheries Office of the DNR. Phone = 320-634-4573. I believe permits are necessary and these guys are responsible for Minnewaska & Osakis

I'm part of a sportsmen's club and we wanted to put walleye in an area lake a couple years back. So first we contacted the DNR and they said it would be fine as long as we told them how many we put in this lake. That sounded fine to everyone, until we found out the reason why they wanted to know how many we were going to stock. It was because they took the number of walleye the DNR was going to stock and minus the amount we put in, so all in all we did that work for nothing. They know how many walleye they want in every lake and they won't let anyone mess with those numbers. They'll just let you do the work for them.

Well Minnewaska is going to need all the walleye stocking it can get, when they put a 200 boat slip marina on the Glenwood side next to the dance hall. You don't think that lake will be pressured?? It already is, and you add that huge marina, it will look like Lake Minnetonka. If you like that sort of thing and way of fishing I guess thats fine. But if you don't, and are a local fisherman of Waska you can thank the "big wigs" of Glenwood for making your fishing experience even worse, and even possibly (hopefully not though) ruining that lake for everyone.

PieEyed, I'm not trying to disagree but it's possible that it may not be quite as you described. A lake ecosystem can only handle a certain number of inhabitants. Adding more walleye may not necessarily improve the lake. Over-population can have a negative effect. It is precisely this condition that causes much of the cycling of our game birds, deer, etc. When a system is overpopulated, disease, starvation, etc. can and many times does run rampant.

If you are concerned about your experience and want a better bang for your buck, perhaps a better investment would be natural spawning bed restoration or other habitat improvements that help the lake's natural ability to take care of itself. This is one of the things our local sporting clubs have been doing for Lake Osakis. The long-term benefits far outweigh anything you can do in terms of stocking. Stocking may help in the here and now but improve the ability of the native species to survive and thrive and the future of the lake is preserved.

Give a man food for a day and he'll survive another day. Teach a man how to grow his own food and he'll survive for a lifetime.

Bob

Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression BobT. I agree with you. Too much of good thing can be bad. I just wanted people to know the DNR won't let you put more fish in the lake than they want in the lake. This is probably a good thing, for the reasons you stated. I also wanted people to know that the money you spend on stocking may be kind of a waste of time. I like your ideas better, spend that money on preservation and restoration of the lake. Well stated BobT.