Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catfishunter

st. louis river

9 posts in this topic

i am looking for a spot to lanch my canoe on the st. louis river between highway 2 and cloquet. has anybody fished this area. any info would be apreciated.

Was at Hgy 2 On Sunday water is very low, Talked to some guys who came down Cloquet river, had to do some dragging, water was so low. I would say get ready to get wet.

There is a ramp on the east side of the river, just underneath Hwy 2. If going westbound, left just before the bridge.

I would be very interested in how the paddle is from there to Cloquet. I think there are some class II-III rapids. Probably some good fishing in there.

The Cloquet River should be good if we get some rain. You can launch @ Hwy 53 and float to Hwy 2. Its a good day trip with Smallies, Walleyes, Catfish, and even Trout. The fish are slow growng in this area, but the action can be good. Catch and release is Imperative.

I do the best with jigs, beetle-spins and floating raps. They have been the best for me in the shallow water. Live bait will work as well. Look for the pools below the rapids.

I have been down the stretch from hwy 2 to cloquet a few times. It is about a 14 mile ride, the 1st 6miles are flat water, then 6 miles of non stop rapids and pools, followed by another 2 miles of flat water.

I've only floated it in August, during low water conditions, never had the guts to do it any other time.

Its a full days trip, especially if you want to spend some time fishing.

The fishing is excellent, especially in the pools below rapids in the middle stretch. Actually had smallies jumping out of the water to grab my bait as it dangled off the side of the canoe.

Gonna get that new Loomis out and break it in Catfishhunter?? Just make sure you leave the 7wt Fenwick at home, no need for a fly rod with those cats. smile.gif

i have been fishing alot between brookston and highway 2 it's awsome. i am just looking for a halfway point between 2 and cloquet. i fish to hard to do the strech in a day. C&R is a must on this fishery!

deathroe, you should try your fly rod for cats it's a blast. my best on it is 5.8 pounds and 40 min. I might need a extra guy for catn fri. night so reply. i would camp till sat. morning and fish all night and it's only a mile hike. let me know.

I've fished between 2 and Cloquet, Not many places to put in but there are some off the beaten path but I wouldn't recommend leaving your rig there. As was stated the downstream side of hwy 2 bridge being the easiest. You can get into SM Bass, catfish, and eyes in that section, all are on the smaller side though.

Sorry Joel, can't make it as i have to mate on the big lake Saturday and Sunday. Gotta get my beauty sleep!