Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddha

Sandbar(Horseshoe)

6 posts in this topic

I am spending all of next week on Sandbar, across from Pelican. Anybody ever fish the lake? The DNR report is decent. Walleye is my main target, but I will chase anything. I have a boat with all the gear, so any info would help. Thanks.

Buddha- I have some good friends who have had a cabin/lived on the lake for about 15 years and unfortunately have nothing good to say about the walleye fishing. The crappie/sunfish fishing is pretty good however. You won't catch any giant fish, but find a deep weed edge or a sunken island with some cabbage and you should find some fish. Concentrate on the areas close to deep water. They catch quite a few northerns and bass out there as well. Both species have plenty of small ones, but it really isn't that hard to find some action. For walleyes I would suggest Edward or Gull. Hope this helps. Have a great week!

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot.

Well I gave it a run, but couldn't find a walleye to save my life. The water was way down, and did alter the fishing from what I was told. I tried for eyes, but switched to Pike for something to do, just basically trolling raps. I did see some guys getting a few bass, but nothing major. Had a fun week though.

I used to live on that lake,the DNR said this spring that it has a problem with a over population of bullheads.

A 21" walleye was caught and released on July 2,2006.

Dave

I too used to live on this lake. I found a sweet deal and rented from a family for a little less that 2 years.

I fished Horseshoe hard for walleyes when I lived there. I only caught two, but both were in the 24" range. I got them in +40' of water in the fall after the lake turned over. Many, many snake northerns. mad.gif Decent bass can be caught. It was hard to catch a couple of decent panfish for a meal for one person.