Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dock Boy

Ponds near Mentor

11 posts in this topic

Whiskers or anyone familier with the Mentor or Maple Lake area. My dad just purchased a chunk of land near Maple it is on a Large pond with two houses on it. He has put a camper on it. He has caught some perch on it just wandering if these ponds are known for good panfish or crappies or if many people fish these ponds. Thanks in advance for your help.

Depending on which pond it is, Some of them are very awesome for Ice fishing. as long at the general public does not get their hands on them.. some just can not fish for fun, they keep too many and then they are all gone.

Can you give some more detailed info on where the pond is at? If you look at a satellite map, there are lots of ponds around the area and most are private. I'm on about a 80 acre lake and there are I believe 4 of us owners of the shoreline, lived there for 7 years, minnow trapper that comes thru asked if I've ever caught fish out there, I said I've never fished it, he said he doesn't catch many minnows and figured something must be eating them. So for the 1st time this year I went out and checked it out and I'll be darned if there isn't something out there, I think it was bullheads but some of the fish that were jumping looked like bass to me. I didn't catch anything, I was just out for a evening troll.

Some are good for walleye, some for perch and some for crappie, just depends on which one your on.

Mike

I will talk to my dad today and find out exactly where it is at. My dad did say a minnow man traps on this pond to, but they trap many ponds in that area. I will let you know.

I talked to my dad and this is where it is at. The Junction of 12 and 41. 3/4miles east and a 1/4 mile North. It has 1 abandon house on it and a house owned by Richard Lunak. Please let me know if anyone has any info on this Pond. Thanks

Growing up near there, we used to drive out to some of those lakes/ponds around Maple and Union and plop a small boat in. It's been several years since then, so I can't tell you exactly where those bodies of water are, but we found some pretty nice bass in some of those potholes.

Good Luck!

MJ

Whiskers or anyone else. Is anyone familier with this pond. My dad hasn't fished it much. Whats the rule with stocking. Can we stock it and who would we get the fish to stock it from. Any info on this pond or with stocking rules it would be great to hear from you. Thanks Guys laugh.gif

I am not sure what pond that is but as for stocking, you would have to contact the DNR and aske about that. Not sure how they regulate that stuff. The could tell you if it has been stocked or what it has been used for.

Dock Boy, I spoke with a friend this morning who lives a short distance from the lake you mentioned. He said he did not know if there were any fish in it. He has lived in the area for many years. Hope you enjoy the new area.

Kingfisher thanks for trying to find me some help. I will just have to spend sometime out thier and see what I find. Thanks.

Just that in it self is part of the fun of chancing on to a great fishing spot. Good luck with that and let us know how you do.