• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trainer for British Lab?

AJ

We acquired our first pup, a british lab, about a month ago. She is 11 weeks and I want to start looking for a qualified trainer to use. Initial 6 month training to work on obedience and hunting skills, birds, etc. and then will use them for the full-blown training farther down the line. I know there are some great lab trainers in Minnesota, but I am worried about screwing up my british lab with a trainer who is accustomed to working with american labs. Too many people have warned me about this who know the breed. I live in the cities, so closer to metro is best. Ideas? Many thanks.

AJ, congratulations on the new pup. I am not familiar with any trainer that works with British labs other then Dennis Anderson because I used his website for some of my training guidance. I do know there are a few around the metro area. Some of the other owners may have some suggestions for you with their own experiences.

I made this recommendation on another post, go to the up coming Game Fair and talk with D.A. or some of the other breeders familiar with British labs. Get some ideas and references from them and make a few phone calls with past customers and you should have a good idea of who will fit your needs. This is really no different than what any other owner would do for any dog so this is not ground breaking advice.

I went the route of my own training, may not work for you, but I have certainly enjoyed the process. I would recommend buying the book "British Training for American Retrievers" by Vic Barlow whether or not you do the training yourself or with a trainer. It gives you great insight into why the British train these dogs the way they do. Good luck with your new dog.

I would have to recommend Old Oak Retreivers. He trains Briish labs and you won't find a better trainer in MN in my opinion. He works wonders with labs.

Drop me an email if you want more info. wink.gif

You are correct about specific trainers for British labs and ones like my chocolate. They have a more mild temperment and if a trainer is inexperienced handling them they can get damaged by trainers who over stimmulate or don't understand how to work with them.

Appreciate the comments so far. I have planned to attend Game Fair to research some trainers. Anyone else with a recommendation? Thanks.