Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norco

Getting the most speed out of a motor

7 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2001 Lund 1800 Fisherman with a 150 Yamaha V-Max. I have a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke and all the neccesary walleye fishing goodies. With the boat loaded with gear and 2 people Im getting about 42 mph. I have noticed that when I raise the motor while traveling my speed increases alot and can get 46-48 mph. My brother-inlaw told me that it is not safe to do this as the boat may loose control if I go over a wake?? Any truth to this? Is it alright to lift the leg of the motor to get more speed??

Im used to fishing out of my SSV 14 with a 25 hp so this is all new to me??

Cheers!! smile.gif

I aways trim up and never go out of control. this is just my opinion get to know your boat and what it will and will not do.

I allways trim mine up to the point where it starts to porpise. I think thats why they have trim is so you can trim them to just the right point.

Plus if you trim it up I would think you would get better fuel mileage, especially if you throttle down a bit.

You ahve to trim your motor up to a point where there is less drag of hull on water, but not too much to loose control.

After few tryouts you'll find the max trim you need.

No there will be no problem if you hit a wave, unless it's a 6 footer or more, then you'll have to slow down, trim has nothing to do with it.

One thing I've found is trimming the motor up while going directly against or with the waves can make for a smoother ride. The front end of the boat doesn't plow into the waves as much; the waves hit more towards the center or back of the boat depending on the wave size. However if the waves get big enough you may not want to be trimmed out too far. It all depends on what you're comfortable with along with using your common sense. If you're running across waves for the first time or two, experiment with the trim in minor increments to see what the differences are and what you're comfortable with. I used to be in your position where the only boat I ever drove was my dad's 16'er with a 75hp motor. Then I went to a 17'+ boat with a 150 and it's a bit different, there is a learning curve in my opinion.

Good luck!

A couple other benefits of trimming are that you'll get a little better fuel mileage (less drag in the water) and the steering torque will be significantly reduced. As others have said, trim to what you're comfortable running. You'll feel the difference.

marine_man

Thanks for the help guys. Im off to lake now to try this out abit more as well as catch a few walleye grin.gif

Cheers!!