• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a good black lab

Iron Cowboy

Anyone have a good reference for a black lab? I am leaning towards the british bloodlines for the more mellow temperment but would be fine with an american lab too if it has the similar traits. I am more concerned about the home life trainability, and tolerance of kids, other dogs,etc than the all out hyper hunting machine type. I'm trying not to let cost be too much of an issue but do need to be reasonable and try to find a good "value"-- cant afford one of the Dennis Andersens priced dogs. I'm Still in the research stage trying too make sure I do this right with no regrets so all help and advise is appreciated. I can be reached at [email protected]

It does sound as if you would be looking for a British lab based on your description of what you expect from a dog. Not to say you won't find that in an American lab, but the British lab, if you are using a reputable breeder, is bred for those traits.

As far as prices go, the low end will be around $750 on up, you already have an idea what Dennis Anderson's run. There are a few of us British lab owners on this site, I think we all used different breeders, and as far as I know have been happy with their selections.

I will e-mail you more information if you are interested in my choice of breeder and what I looked for.

The training of my dog has really been all that I had hoped for. Definitely one of the easier dogs to work with I have encountered. I also have followed many of Dennis Anderson's training ideas along with a book by Vic Barlow that would not be a choice of many lab trainers, but they really have a different temperament. My dog is now 2 1/2 years old and I could not be happier with the results. He would never pass a field trail, but that was never something I was looking for. I like the smaller size, the easy going disposition (around family, not in the field), and the controllability in the field and around the home, of course you can get this with any well trained dog.

If you are going to have someone train your dog, I would make sure they have experience in training British labs, (i.e. no e-collars) there are a few around that specialize in the breed. If you really want some great advice on the breed go to the upcoming Game Fair, Dennis Anderson always has a booth and gives seminars on British labs. It would be well worth your time to ask questions from someone as familiar with the these dogs as he is.

I guess my ultimate endorsement is that my next dog will again be a British lab. Good luck in your search.